Device not found

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
i find it hard to believe that all these cables are going bad.... im wondering how many I will have to go threw to find one that works.. ( 3 and Counting...)
at least it gives me hope everytime it works for someone else... :)

I'm working on an idea at the moment. I'll post back in a few minutes with results.

newbie4ever

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
uninstall the drivers, reboot your computer, reinstall drivers, pull out the battery of your phone connect it, put your phone into download mode and let the composite drivers install...then unplug pop your battery back in , turn on the phone, throw it in debugging mode. and connect and see if it configures
yes.... gave it a try.... even thought of doing again..

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
did you try my suggestion in post 11

I tried that. Then I tried using the Mesmerize drivers, going along the lines of maybe they might work for some strange reason.

Then I did something really dumb. I grabbed my USB cord where it plugs into the phone at, folded it over towards the screen and pulled down on it tight. Plugged the other end into the computer... worked fine. Let go of the cord, but didn't unplug it. Bam... disconnected.

Now, when I plug it in, the phone pops up with "USB connected", but my computer does nothing at all. No sound, no device not found, nothing. Think I may have finally killed either the cord, or the USB port on the board inside the phone. It does still charge though, so I'm hoping it was just the cord.

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine was doing that as well. The only other thing I can figure is it's a bug in FroYo. When did you notice yours doing this? Did you make any changes before it started, or did it start randomly? I might try a complete wipe and see if it helps.

However, now I get nothing... I really think I broke something.

But, as you said, I'm skeptical myself that all the cables are going bad all at once. My brother and his girlfriend both have Fascinates. I'll snag his cable and laptop tomorrow and see if I can eliminate those, but I have a bad feeling that in my personal case, I just made things waaaay worse. I really shouldn't have put so much pressure on that little port.

newbie4ever

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
i hope you didnt make it worse, cuz this is all fun and games till it starts costing money to replace our toys.... felt kinda bad about droidxcon locking his up helping someone else so i donated a little bit to his "brick collection fund"... id hate to see it happen to to many people.....

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... definitely sucks anytime it happens to anyone. Unfortunately, part of the game.

I started suspecting the cable more and more, so I was just trying to see if twisting it around any certain direction, or putting pressure on it in any direction helped. Well, funny part is that it did. Twice. Same results both times. Pulled it down tight on the screen so it was folded over the plug, and everything was perfectly normal. If I left it plugged in and moved the cable though, it would lock up the computer (like yours). If I had it any other way when I plugged it in, I got "Device not found".

And now, it will plug in and charge and I get "USB Connected" in the drop down, no matter if it's plugged into the wall or computer. That's probably not good.

At least I have insurance, just in case I did break it.... I'll find out in a few hours when my brother wakes up.

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
That's why I'm with you on this one. It just seems really odd that all these cords would be going bad all at once. I really think it's a software issue... but then again, it just started randomly doing this last week or the week before and I hadn't changed a thing on my phone for about 2 weeks before that.

newbie4ever

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
ive been flashing everything in cwm instead of odin lately... so im not sure how long mine "hasnt been working"... im using Adrynalynes SC 2.9.2 what are you using ?

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I was on SC2.9.1

I found this problem the other night when I tried to Odin the EC01 modem, which I finally got to work after an hour of messing with it. Although, I had been noticing for a week or two that when I plugged it into the wall to charge at night, I was getting "USB Connected" in the notification bar. But, if I unplugged it and plugged it back in it would go away and just charge. So I'm thinking that's when it "officially" started.

newbie4ever

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
if you have to turn it in for insurance, do you think they will check for root?.. or are planning on breaking it to the point that it doesnt matter?

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it matters for an insurance claim, because you're paying a deductable. I think they just check it for a warranty claim. But I could be wrong.

newbie4ever

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
yeah...your probly right. hopefully your brothers cord will work and you wont have to worry about insurance... well, ive had enough of this one night , so im gonna get outta here for a bit... please post your results when you test your bros. cord...

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to suspect the port itself now. I'm wondering if these ports aren't just wearing out, maybe losing some of their voltage draw which may make Windows not recognize it, and a new cable is working for some because it's maybe a little tighter fit and making proper contact.

Either way, mine is screwed. Looks like the reason I get nothing at all now. I bent a pin. Just my luck.

IMG_0218.jpg

newbie4ever

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
that sucks.. will it still charge?
i went and picked up a new cable today... still the same prob. even tried it on my wifes laptop...no good there either.. i really think its a software problem on the phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz