Broke my USB port, anyone ever replaced one?

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I flashed the EC01 modem, then flashed the DL09 kernel and ROM I linked to, wiped data/cache/Dalvic cache. At that point, the phone started up fresh, clean DL09.

I tried applying the EA28 update, but it wouldn't flash in CWM.

I put together this CWM zip that contains the stock blue recovery and flashed that. Rebooted in stock recovery, but it still wouldn't install the EA28 update, but it gave an error message about the patch... so it appears it's specifically failing on applying the modem patch, which is probably understandable since it's trying to patch a piece of EA28 over EC01.

I then rebooted and tried the built-in software update, and it too failed to install. So, you're probably stuck on the EC01 modem. But, what this does prove is that you can return to DL09 kernel, ROM and a stock recovery. You'll probably have to install root explorer (or the like) and remove the SuperUser apk manually, then you can uninstall root explorer and be totally stock DL09, with the exception of the modem. But, the EC01 modem appears to work fine with DL09, I have a signal and can make calls.

So, as close to stock as you'll be able to get is either:

Flash DL09 kernel, ROM and then the stock recovery. The only thing which will give things away is the EC01 modem, but the boot animation, recovery and odexed rom will all be stock.

Or:

Flash ED01 stock rom, and then you could flash the stock recovery if you liked. You'll still have whatever kernel you currently have, and it's non-stock boot animations and it'll be deodexed. Maybe someone can put together a stock kernel for you to get the stock boot animations back, but you'll still have the modem mismatch.

Personally, I'd probably go the DL09 root.

Hope this all has helped, I'm off to return to ED01!

Reactions: fatkidkustomz

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Awesome man. Tons of help and good info. Thanks so much for it.

So basically, do this, and leave it at that?

What baseband (modem) version do you currently have loaded?

If you really wanted to get back as close to stock as possible, this should work:

First, download this: http://adrynalyne.us/files/kernels/DL09_stock.zip This is the stock DL09 kernel.

Next, download this: http://gunsforgeeks.com/Fascinate/DL09_stock.zip This is the stock, bloated, odexed DL09 system.

Put your SD card into a reader, copy these over, reboot into CWM (assuming you have it installed) and flash both. At this point, you should be on stock DL09. You'll have the SuperUser app installed, but you can always long-press on it and delete it.

You can either stop here and fairly safely assume no one at a Verizon store will notice any system/baseband mismatch (if there is one), or you can do the following:

I'm with you on the thought that they're not going to bother checking the modem. You've got the right idea, I'm just trying to "appear" stock, just in case they try powering up and down and all that mess. The only way I have to prove to them that the USB port is broken is to plug it into the wall and show them what it's doing, or have them hook it up to one of their computers (if they'll do it), so I'm trying to eliminate any red flags that may make them start snooping. Seems like money is getting tight for Verizon and they're denying anything they can these days.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome man. Tons of help and good info. Thanks so much for it.

No problem!

So basically, do this, and leave it at that?

Yup, flash the DL09 kernel, then the ROM, wipe data, cache, dalvic cache and reboot. Once booted, install Root Explorer (or another file manager capable of working with the /system partition), go to /system/app and delete Superuser.apk, then you'll pretty much be totally stock DL09. You can flash or not flash the stock recovery, nothing will give the CWM recovery away unless they reboot it in recovery (highly unlikely). If you did decide to flash the stock recovery, remember, it's a one-way trip, since without Odin, you'll never be able to put CWM back on.

Also, make sure you remove or clear certain files/folders from your SD card - the Voodoo folder, the Clockwork folder/backups, etc. I can't imagine they'll actually notice the modem version, since nothing else will give anything away at all.

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
No problem!

Yup, flash the DL09 kernel, then the ROM, wipe data, cache, dalvic cache and reboot. Once booted, install Root Explorer (or another file manager capable of working with the /system partition), go to /system/app and delete Superuser.apk, then you'll pretty much be totally stock DL09. You can flash or not flash the stock recovery, nothing will give the CWM recovery away unless they reboot it in recovery (highly unlikely). If you did decide to flash the stock recovery, remember, it's a one-way trip, since without Odin, you'll never be able to put CWM back on.

Also, make sure you remove or clear certain files/folders from your SD card - the Voodoo folder, the Clockwork folder/backups, etc. I can't imagine they'll actually notice the modem version, since nothing else will give anything away at all.

Well here goes nothing to see if it works. I was just planning on keeping my SD card out of the phone when I took it into them so they didn't go snooping around in there anyway. There's some "private" stuff in there from some ladyfriends.... haha. But I guess I should just go ahead and transfer those to the secret folder on the laptop since I'll be transferring stuff anyway.

And hopefully they'll have a refurb in stock, so I don't have to wait for them to send it. I'm going through flash withdrawals.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Well here goes nothing to see if it works.

Cool, let us know how it goes...

I assume it's not an issue since it hasn't come up yet, but hopefully you're currently using Clockwork 2.5.X... because that's what all these zips require. If you're on CWM 3, I'm not sure how to go back to 2.5 through CWM, since I think all the previous CWM zips won't install through 3...

Hopefully it's not an issue... but if it is, let us know and we'll figure something out.

fatkidkustomz

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Cool, let us know how it goes...

I assume it's not an issue since it hasn't come up yet, but hopefully you're currently using Clockwork 2.5.X... because that's what all these zips require. If you're on CWM 3, I'm not sure how to go back to 2.5 through CWM, since I think all the previous CWM zips won't install through 3...

Hopefully it's not an issue... but if it is, let us know and we'll figure something out.

Yeah, I'm on 2.5.X, so I should be ok. Just in case the warranty thing doesn't work, I think I'm going to keep CWM and skip flashing stock recovery, because as you said, since I can't Odin, I'd be stuck. At least if I keep CWM I can play with some things until I manage to find another solution.

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
All that effort to return a broken phone. The store I go to they don't know anything that can't be read on a spec sheet. They are frigen clueless. I asked one of them what screen came on the FASC and they replied "the normal one". And the law is on your side. The maggnusen Moss warranty act forbids denying warranty when the change did not cause the failure. So if for instance I by a different chain for a motorcycle and the clutch lever falls off they can't deny warranty on the clutch lever because of the chain,

It's not like there is a reward for finding a rooted phone. Flash a stock ROM delete super user. Get rid of bootanimaton.zip which will revert you to the baked in boot animaton.

Nobody is going to look at the radio. It's a return not a software/config issue. No one is going to look at your directories.

The employees want toget back to selling phones not being phone gestapos.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Get rid of bootanimaton.zip which will revert you to the baked in boot animaton.

I don't think I've seen a single modded kernel that reverts to the stock boot animation if a zip isn't present. It's either nothing or that vertical ANDROID text. So in that respect, it's worth him flashing the stock kernel so if they do reboot it, it's not blatantly obvious that something has been modded.

But otherwise, I agree. They'll look at the hardware and say "ok, it's broken", they're not going to poke around enough to see the baseband mismatch.