Think I need some help, my phone may be screwed.

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
So I returned to stock two days ago in order to get the official OTA of Froyo ED01. Things were great on it and I decided to stick with it, but I wanted to try out jt1134's Voodoo kernal w/sound/lagfix etc. So I flashed the kernal into stock/rooted ED01. I didn't seem to be having any problems and I let it go for about.. 16 hours I would say. I really liked the new sound and the corrected colors. So then I decided to give Comm Rom a shot. Flashed it via CWM. Like an idiot, I did not wipe or clear dalvik or partition cache. I noticed I started having issues where my data services would cut out. Data would stop for a while, come back for a little bit and then go away again. the 3G icon isn't even displayed in my pulldown. So I flashed to Super Franken Clean to get a different kernal, and then flashed back to Rom Comm. I was still getting at least a little bit of data service as of 7 pm last night, though it was extraordinarily slow. Then, after about 9 pm, it stopped completely. I now have a touch screen android based dumb phone. So far this morning I've tried following "[Howto] Get to ED01 (Official Froyo) Quickly" to get back to stock, but when I try to flash the Eclair tar via Odin, it failed stating the md5 (I believe) could not be found when attempting step one. So, after a bit more research, I rediscovered Droidx's [HOW TO] Return to Stock for Froyo Update, which is what I used to return to factory condition in the first place to start this whole debacle. Flashed via Odin successfully, and went through the initial setup wizard. the 3G data icon came back on during set up, which was a huge relief, but then it went away again immediately after for about 3 mins. It's back on now and I'm in the process of downloading the update to Froyo (currently on 2.1-update 1) and data has been steadily on for the download.

Any suggestions as to what to do should my data continue to be spotty and or nonexistent? I'm thinking of waiting to root again to see if it is and exchanging it for a new one if it continues. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
So far so good, was on 2.1 after flash, updated to 2.1-update 1. Data was on seemingly the whole time although I only let it go for about 5-10 minutes before updating to 2.2, but data has been on again for the entire download so far. I really hope this is resolved. Still very interested to hear if it was the voodoo kernel or what so I don't repeat this whole debacle. It's been pretty awful lol

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
So far so good, was on 2.1 after flash, updated to 2.1-update 1. Data was on seemingly the whole time although I only let it go for about 5-10 minutes before updating to 2.2, but data has been on again for the entire download so far. I really hope this is resolved. Still very interested to hear if it was the voodoo kernel or what so I don't repeat this whole debacle. It's been pretty awful lol

Sounds like you should be good to go. If you continue to have issues, I would suggest following Gizmos "Most Thorough method of fixing every proplem you might have" instructions found in this thread:

[ROM][Radio][4.10.11]EC01 - xda-developers

I did this a while back after having nagging issues with FCs, lag, sleep etc. and have been loving it since. Flashed CommRom right over it with no issues either.

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that. In downloading 2.2 I'm realizing that my data is still extremely slow. The first time I did it two days ago it took less than five minutes. It's taken almost an hour and it was only at 47% before it got interrupted because I was in an area of the building that has no service at all. So... yeah. I think I'll be needing that thread lol

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: Proletariat

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Apparently my timing really is awful. I was totally convinced as well that somehow Comm Rom did something to my phone. I should have known better. Thanks Landshark! (boy, I never thought I'd say that. Not to you personally, but.. SNL Landshark... bah.. you know what I mean).

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Apparently my timing really is awful. I was totally convinced as well that somehow Comm Rom did something to my phone. I should have known better. Thanks Landshark! (boy, I never thought I'd say that. Not to you personally, but.. SNL Landshark... bah.. you know what I mean).

Candygram!!!

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
On the phone with VZW right now. 4G LTE outage reportedly fixed this morning, battery pull and PRL update recommended to be performed today. There is also a 3G outage that is affecting a number of customers that started today, apparently. Make sure data roaming is checked and network is automatic. Issue not resolved, VZW tier 1 is contacting tier 2 atm. Speaking with tier 2. Performed Factory Data Reset to no available. Filed trouble ticket, no solution as of yet.

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
There were no purely 3G customers affected by the 4G outage. The confusion lied in the fact that with the 4G outage, 4G phones were not handing the signal down to 3G coverage.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There were no purely 3G customers affected by the 4G outage. The confusion lied in the fact that with the 4G outage, 4G phones were not handing the signal down to 3G coverage.

There is a whole laundry list of people over at XDA and probably here too who would strongly disagree with that as they had the no 3g problems, called and spoke with tier 2 tech support who resent a data stream to the 3g only Fascinate, which restored 3g service. Explanation given was that while techs were working on 4g, they screwed something up with 3g. Not sure if the tier 2 tech support people are not taking to each other, but multiple Fascinate owners have reported the no 3g problem and had it fixed by a resend of data stream.

Proletariat

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Odd. I would rather have had my data stream restored so I wouldn't have to go yet another day with no data, but I guess I can't really complain about getting a fresh phone. Just thought I'd report on what I was told by VZW.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Odd. I would rather have had my data stream restored so I wouldn't have to go yet another day with no data, but I guess I can't really complain about getting a fresh phone. Just thought I'd report on what I was told by VZW.

Yep, you'll probably see that is a common thing. One tech support person will tell you something completely different than another tech support person. It's like they don't all get updated as to what is currently happening and they don't talk to each other at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia