Factory Reset vs. CWM "wipe data"

Jgonzo1299

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, but is there a difference between the factory reset option you find under the settings tab and the "wipe user data" option that you find in CWM recovery?

I know that they both just wipe all the data from your phone but i wasnt sure if factory reset might erase more than just the data.

Im curious because my girlfriend has an EVO 4g and she had horrible battery life and then she decided to factory reset and now all of a sudden her phone lasts like 36 hours with 3g on and normal everyday female college student use (which i guess translates to heavy usage)

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
From what I know about this, Factory reset from settings will soft brick your phone, if your running KB. As to why, I'm not sure.

Your girlfriend may have seen better battery life because when factory resetting she deleted some application or setting that was draining her battery before..

Can't say the same would hold true for you...but with KangBang you can research how to undervolt your kernel, and stand a good chance of seeing an improvement!. :)