[HOW TO] Changing out themed Swype.apk

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I like to tell people "I am a product of my failures" ...this is definitely one of them..

Credit goes to kenesis over on XDA for the hint on the system/lib file. That fixed all my woes. His post is here: [APPS] Swype Themed Updated - xda-developers

For those who want to change their swype.apk or other themed .apk's from theme to theme, Rom/Rom, or go back to one after applying a theme and have hit problems, or don't know how to do this already, I wrote this up just for you. Naturally, I am not responsible for anything you do to your phone. If your new to modding your phone, and the language is over your head, just take some time to educate yourself in the great threads here in this forum, and then come back and see how you feel. I wrote this for people who have a basic understanding of how to move stuff around in android file managers, specifically Root Explorer.

I have written this to change out the themed swype.apk in specific. However, these steps can be used for changing themed apps from theme to theme. If your not changing the swype.apk the Libswypecore file is NOT needed in the steps below and just substitute Swype.apk for the XXXXX.apk your changing. All other steps should be followed.

With that said,

I was successful using the method described below with Swype.apk's from three different ROM's and one different theme. (SC 2.9.2, stock ED01, ComRom, NitroDark 4.2.1) . I am running KB1.2/OTB 1.2 Touch of Blur Theme.

I like to perform a nandroid backup before screwing with anything. So do that now, before you move on, if you don't have one saved already.

Here's what you'll need.

1. Root Explorer v 2.15 or later (NOT SURE IF THIS WORKS WITH OTHER FILE MANAGERS) Just buy the full version it's well worth the $5.

2.the libSwypeCore.co file found here: (thanks kenesis over on XDA)

libSwypeCore.so

3. A Swype.apk (or other .apk) from whatever theme or Rom you like. (Or the master copy your about to make)

Here are two to get you started. (Already Renamed)

Superclean 2.9.2 (Adryanlyne)
SwypeSC.apk

Nitrodark 4.2.1 Swype.apk (nitroglycerine33)
SwypeND.apk

SC20110507-003605.png

Steps:

1. Go into Root Explorer
Navigate to the system folder and select it

Make sure that the small button at the top reads Mount R/O and the small writing to the left of that says "r/w" (this means your in read/write mode, not Read Only)

2. Find the app folder and open it

3. Locate the Swype.apk. in the list of apps.

4.Long press and select COPY (don't select MOVE)

5. Hit the soft back button twice to get back to the parent folder.

6. Scroll through the list and find sdcard folder

7. PASTE your existing Swype.apk to the sdcard for safe keeping, and make sure you remember where you put it. This is your master copy should something go wrong.

8. Press the soft home button, then go to settings--language and keyboard---input method--- and select gingerbread keyboard or alternate keyboard, whatever it is..

9. Download or extract from a .zip file the Swype.apk of your choice and move it to your sdcard (I rename it while storing on sdcard to keep them straight...i.e...SwypeND.apk) (I also like to create a folder on my sdcard entitled Phone, or APK, whatever you like to find things easily)

10. Download the libSwypeCore.co file (link above) and store on your sdcard.

11. Locate the libSwypeCore.co file on the sdcard then copy and paste it to system/ lib folder using Root Explorer

12. Navigate back to the sdcard folder and find your new SwypeXX.apk that you would like to change to.

13. ***Long press on the file and select Rename . Change your new SwypeXX.apk (if you renamed it) BACK to Swype.apk. Long press and select COPY NOT MOVE

14. Make sure the file is name Swype.apk when you copy it or this won't work. (NOT SwypeND.apk)

15. back yourself up to the system/ app folder and paste the Swype.apk there.

16. Agree to overwrite existing

17. Once it's pasted, scroll down to Swype.apk, and long press.

18. Scroll all the way to the bottom and select CHANGE OWNER

19. Change both options to 0 ROOT (It's all the way at the top of the list)

20. Hit OK

21. Long press on the Swype.apk again and select Permissions from the menu

make sure there are check's in all the READ column(top to bottom) and the first box of the WRITE column .thats all a TOTAL of 4 checks, no more, no less.

SC20110507-003015.png

hit ok, and make sure the Swype.apk has this underneath: rw-r--r--

if it does, back out of root explorer and go back into settings and change the input method back to swype.

If it doesn't vibrate immediately, then force close, you've done it!! Go try it out in some text entry app, like mms, or memo, or email..

If you get immediate FC loop, just change input method back to gb keyboard, and figure out what went wrong....

good luck !

:cool:

Last edited:

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that flashing the Touch of Blur theme over ComRom has removed TSM parts from the settings menu, and thusly I couldn't adjust the lockscreens, apart from the Glass/Puzzle unlock that can be found under display settings.

I don't know if anyone else has hit this snag with other themes, but I have extracted the TSM parts v1.0 (ComRom) and just the lockscreen settings app from TSM. (pulled from NitroDark v4.2.1 credit Nitroglycerine/sbrissen) These are here for anyone who loses them, or wants an old version.

I didn't try to re-install the TSM parts v1.0, but I did try the new v2.0 and got some problems (FC on LP, Status Bar problems), so I removed it. TSM parts 2.0 is a large part of ComRom1.3. I am including TSM v1.0 because it's not up for download anymore on sbrissen's page on XDA. I haven't tested these on ComRom1.3. I am still on KBv1.2. Install with KBv1.3 AT YOUR OWN RISK. As always, make a flippin nandroid before you change anything. It's the easiest way to revert back. If someone would like to remove TSMparts v2.0 from KB1.3 and try to place with v1.0 in it's place, good luck and let us know if it works.

As for me, I just wanted the lockscreen settings, and I have been successful just installing the lockscreen settings app, by following all the steps in Post #1 of this thread, with exception of the libswypecore.co file, which obviously isn't needed for Lockscreen settings.

Lockscreen Settings is functional for me on KB1.2. I am not on KB1.3 so I don't know if any of this works on that Rom. Try at your own risk.

Here are the links. All credit goes to Team Sbrissen Mods, and sbrissen for these .apk's.

TSMparts1.0.apk (RENAMED>Change the name to TSMparts.apk before copying and pasting to system folder)

TSMParts1.0.apk

Lockscreen settings.apk

LockScreenSettings.apk

good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldkirby

Goldkirby

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey Littlewing, thanks for this thread! I was not a fan of the 1.3 swype keyboard, so this helped fix that. Your directions worked like a charm for me.

I'm using kang bang 1.3, so the swype change works for this version too.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey Littlewing, thanks for this thread! I was not a fan of the 1.3 swype keyboard, so this helped fix that. Your directions worked like a charm for me.

I'm using kang bang 1.3, so the swype change works for this version too.

hey anytime man...glad you got something you liked! . Since the process just involves switching the .apk out, it shouldn't really matter what Rom your on..theoretically it should work across all custom Rom's for the fascinate....but good to know it works with 1.3.Thanks for the info!

What swype.apk did you go with? Did you provide your own, or did you grab one of the ones listed in the thread?

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm going to feel ******ed after I get an answer, but I'm trying to do this to switch the swype keyboard on CommRom 1.3. DL the stuff I need but I can't find the "system app" on root explorer... Can someone direct me? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
First go to system folder and press then go to app folder and press...and no need to feel ********ed...we all have those days..

Last edited:
Reactions: jjcasillas15

scampy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Very nice thread. I'm using the gm 53 remix theme, but can't see the keyboard in some settings. Nitroglycerine's dark themed swypes are sharp. I like the purple in girl power, but can't quite get over the name lol. Thanks for making this info readily available. I feel I have a more personalized droid experience ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using com rom 3, imnuts -100 kernel, gunner mikes theme w/ a dash of dark nitro. AndroidCentral rules!

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Very nice thread. I'm using the gm 53 remix theme, but can't see the keyboard in some settings. Nitroglycerine's dark themed swypes are sharp. I like the purple in girl power, but can't quite get over the name lol. Thanks for making this info readily available. I feel I have a more personalized droid experience ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using com rom 3, imnuts -100 kernel, gunner mikes theme w/ a dash of dark nitro. AndroidCentral rules!

your welcome friend..Every theme doesn't have exactly everything you want sometime. i found myself liking certain things from certain themes, and now I have mash up of about two or three different themes.

Enjoy! :)

Goldkirby

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
hey anytime man...glad you got something you liked! . Since the process just involves switching the .apk out, it shouldn't really matter what Rom your on..theoretically it should work across all custom Rom's for the fascinate....but good to know it works with 1.3.Thanks for the info!

What swype.apk did you go with? Did you provide your own, or did you grab one of the ones listed in the thread?

I just grabbed the superclean one that you posted at the top of the page.

Winkz7

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Lttlwing16!!

I was able to use Super Manager to move the files around and downloaded the lib file from the kenesis post on XDA. I'll thank him there...

Loving the naked_white_v2 theme. It works great with the Black Alien Honeycomb Mashup theme on the phone.

It is awesome to be able to text in Espanol and to see the words that Swype is suggesting.

Reactions: Lttlwing16

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Good to know! Definitely thank kenesis..this thread wouldn't be here without his .co file.

Jaekar and myself have also bundled a number of icons from different themes and Roms that you can use with launcher pro. It's a must have in my opinion. I change my icons all the time. It's in his op over on this thread!

Winkz7

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Good to know! Definitely thank kenesis..this thread wouldn't be here without his .co file.

Jaekar and myself have also bundled a number of icons from different themes and Roms that you can use with launcher pro. It's a must have in my opinion. I change my icons all the time. It's in his op over on this thread!

Nice!

Do you know if the icons work with ADW. I like the way it is set up and works. I know a lot of people like LP and it seemed to work fine, I just seemed to like ADW a little better. That is the beauty of Android.. To each his/her own flavor...

I'll post a screen shot when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure..if there is a feature to change icons, and choose one from the gallery, then you should be able to. I have never used ADW, so I can't say..

Winkz7

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I tried to get a screen shot a couple of different ways today, in between working ha!, and wasn't successful.

ADW does allow changing icons. You can select from ADW themes as well as from your gallery.

I'll have to check out the icons, thanks.

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried to get a screen shot a couple of different ways today, in between working ha!, and wasn't successful.

ADW does allow changing icons. You can select from ADW themes as well as from your gallery.

I'll have to check out the icons, thanks.

cool. good to know..just added some new icons today!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma