3G cutting out

T3CH9ICIAN

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
set up the refurb and went from no 3g to full 3g so staying unrooted a day or as long as i can resist the slug of a phone see if the 3g stays solid

rvgraham

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure you're all on the same page

I believe the OP is talking about 3g completely ceasing to function, though not necessarily all the time. The 3g icon is completely missing and opening anything that requires 3g may get it to start, but more likely, you'll get a "Data connection Lost" message.

Some of the replies are talking about 3g connection quality. This issue is about an all or nothing issue (though speed is also poor). Not even a 1x icon. Nothing.

I was on community rom 1.3 when the issue started. It seems quite a few were on the same rom. I did the esn swap method (activated an old BB Storm and then reactivated the Fascinate) a few days ago. All is fine since then.

I had already set my phone back to factory fresh DL09 and then ota'd to EA28 then to ED03. This had no effect on the dropping 3g issue until I did the esn swap.

Bob Graham

krunkan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
BTW, ESN swapping doesn't seem to require another phone. I googled it and found a page describing how to get it done. It could be risky, i don't know. -Jake
FYI, all, I tried this and it worked fine and my 3G seems improved so far. Hopefully no one called in threats to the government from that dummy phone account while I was registered to it for 5 minutes. :)

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Same here. it looks like the community rom kills your phone. tried a few different radios and still nothing. ;9

It' not Comm ROM, the apparent culprit was verizon techs screwing something up across the whole network when they were trying to do some work on the 4G network. The 4g network was completely out and the 3g network had sporadic outages and problems that did not affect everyone. It has been well documented that either an ESN swap or a DMU reset through verizon tier 2 tech support has fixed any and all 3g problems anyone was having. It just happened to be bad timing this problem happened close to the time Comm ROM was released. I can provide you with a laundry list of people, myself included, who were running Comm ROM at the time and have had no 3g issues whatsoever.

Reactions: awskier08

imokurnot

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
3G problems

I have ben having problems with 3g reception for several days. I am running the comrom with the packaged kernal. It seemed to run great for awhile but now I have real spotty reception. I upgraded my wifes stock fascinate to froyo and her phone is running better. I took my phone back to stock did the wipes rerooted but no luck. Is there a Better radio zip that anyone knows of? I even went in and manually changed my roaming to match her settings.

tivie11

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
For me there could be something with Com Rom 1.3. I had ED01 stock but rooted. Yesterday it froze on me and wouldn't get past the Samsung logo. So I ODIN to Dl01, OTA to stock ED03. Next I followed this thread to install Community Rom 1.3 that doesn't wipe data and didn't include a modem/radio. Once I was back up and running my 3g has been dropping and coming back as described in earlier posts.

While on stock ED03 there were no 3g issues. Did I use the correct version of Com Rom (the non-data wiping/ non modem/radio version)? I haven't tried anything with ESN swaps yet. Any suggestions are appreciated.

sfobrien

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
For me there could be something with Com Rom 1.3. I had ED01 stock but rooted. Yesterday it froze on me and wouldn't get past the Samsung logo. So I ODIN to Dl01, OTA to stock ED03. Next I followed this thread to install Community Rom 1.3 that doesn't wipe data and didn't include a modem/radio. Once I was back up and running my 3g has been dropping and coming back as described in earlier posts.

While on stock ED03 there were no 3g issues. Did I use the correct version of Com Rom (the non-data wiping/ non modem/radio version)? I haven't tried anything with ESN swaps yet. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Give the ESN swap a try and let us know. When I go back to ComRom I will be coming from ED03 stock as well.

tivie11

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store and asked the guy about my problem. He wasn't aware of any current 3g outage. I asked about swapping the ESN and he didn't think it would help any. So he calls up tech support and looks at some settings (which he didn't have to change), and has support look at my phone from their end. He said that they did 4 checks of things and nothing had an alarm. So I handed me back my phone and I haven't had a drop out of 3g since this afternoon. I'm not sure what was done on Verizon's end, but whatever it was, it worked. I really would like to know the cause of it in the first place and not just have some support guy magically fix it. Now I can get back to breaking the phone again and fixing it.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store and asked the guy about my problem. He wasn't aware of any current 3g outage. I asked about swapping the ESN and he didn't think it would help any. So he calls up tech support and looks at some settings (which he didn't have to change), and has support look at my phone from their end. He said that they did 4 checks of things and nothing had an alarm. So I handed me back my phone and I haven't had a drop out of 3g since this afternoon. I'm not sure what was done on Verizon's end, but whatever it was, it worked. I really would like to know the cause of it in the first place and not just have some support guy magically fix it. Now I can get back to breaking the phone again and fixing it.

I can almost guarantee you tech support did an ESN swap while on the phone with the sales rep. No other explanation as to why suddenly after being at the verizon store your 3G is now working. The sales rep just didn't want to admit to you it was a vzw problem.

imokurnot

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
My wifes phone is stock and we were having the same issues.I did an esn swap and my comrom phone is working and her stock isn't. There is nothing wrong with the comrom it is vzw having an issue. I spoke with tech support and they said it wouldn't work but then the supervisor said to do it because there has been enough complaints that it is raising red flags at teck support.

domenci

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The so-called ESN swap worked for me, as well, to relieve the 3G dropping issue. Battery life is definitely improved now. I hope this doesn't become an issue after the unlimited plans go away; I had to temporarily drop data and re-add it because the old phones I have are all just feature phones or older and it would suck to not have my original data plan be an option when I go to put it back on the plan.

pitokellie

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
has anybody actually got a replacement phone and had this issue resolved?

yes i did it come with ed03 n working fine.i was on com 1.3 that was fine untill i put themes in then i was having 3g lost.but since replacement no lost of 3g :) right now stock rooted ed03.

madduck99

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help? i have no 3g icon, the phone is rooted, I also have a Mac. Would going back to stock help? /i am not to tech savy but can follow directions.

firmware 2.2.1

baseband i500.04 v.ea28

kernel 2.6.32.9

build # eb01

my wifes droid is with verizon and hers works fine.

thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463