[How To] Preparing yourself for a wipe data/factory reset in Clockwork Recovery

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to Jaekar99, Landshark, and DroidXCon for their help with this.

[note]Post 1: Basics about Wiping Data/Factory Reset in Clockwork Recovery
Post 2: Backing Up User Data
Post 3: Restoring
Post 4: Recap and tip sheet. [/note]

This thread is intended to help you prepare for a data wipe/factory reset. It seems that since it is required and developer recommended when installing any of the versions of Ultimate Kang Bang/Comm Rom many have neglected this step either from fear of the process, not understanding what in involves, or avoidance of an inconvenience. This thread is intended for those who are Rooted and have some version of Clockwork Recovery installed and would like some info on wiping data/factory reset. If you don’t have these things, or are not interested, this thread is not for you.

I. First Things First,

• When we say “wipe data” or “factory reset”, THIS IS NOT FACTORY RESET IN SETTINGS. If you Factory Reset in settings with a custom Rom, you will likely soft brick your phone and will need to re-flash a Rom to correct. When we say wipe data, factory reset we are referring to the option in Clockwork Recovery (aka CWM).

• This will restore all system settings back to factory spec or as established by the developer of the Rom that is installed.

• The wipe data/factory reset function in CWM erases all USER data that has been stored on the phone. Imagine out of the box new in regards to what's on the phone.

• Ask yourself “Would this ‘blank’ be here if I had never had my hands on the phone” If the answer is NO, than it’s going to be gone when you wipe data. There is a lot that falls under this umbrella. Once again, we will call this USER data.

Some examples of USER Data:
• Third party applications and data (which includes your widgets that are third party), • Contacts added to the phone (Numbers, Pictures, Email, birthdays etc) • Call logs (missed calls, placed calls, incoming calls) • Messaging threads and multimedia messages (images received via mms) • Emails • Bookmarks • Bluetooth pairings • Wifi access locations • Wallpapers • Calendar data • Accounts that have been established (google, fb, twitter etc). (Make sure you know your login info)

This function DOES NOT affect any of the following:
• External SD Card data • the Rom (system files, system settings, system apps) • Kernel • Modem/Radio • Caches • Theme

These things must all be handled individually in the respective manner. Droid X Con has also covered this information in brief, in his sticky. Refer there for visual aids.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/66762-tools-quick-links-please-read-post-1-before-posting-forum.html

[warn]*****************************************************************Prior to wiping************************************************************************

I want to re-iterate that you will lose all user data and it is recommended to back up these things unless you absolutely want to start fresh. If you lose these things, I am not responsible. This thread was written specifically to reduce the risk of permanently losing your user data. Please continue reading.
[/warn]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
II. Backing-Up User Data

When backing up, there are some important things to mention first.

1. Your phone consists of two basic things. SYSTEM data and USER data.
  2. We are just going to back up USER data. (USER Data meaning the listed items in section I.)
  3. DO NOT backup SYSTEM APP’s, SYSTEM SETTINGS, or anything else SYSTEM if your installing a new ROM. Custom ROM’s have their own system stuffs, so no need in backing them up. If you backup and restore system stuff from one Rom to another Rom, you’ll be enjoying a nice big bowl of frustration. I’ve tasted it and don’t recommend. :)
  4. A full nandroid backup will backup your ROM and all user data, but if you do a full restore after flashing a new ROM you’ve just reverted back to where you were at, i.e. you’ve gone in a big circle. Robtao is working on a partial nandroid restore project that seems very promising. However, at this time, not enough is known about it.. See his thread for info on that! Nandroids are awesome and work well, but may not be what you’re looking for if trying to change Roms. They can be helpful if you want to revert to how your phone once was at a certain point in time...(thanks Jaekar99 for this info)
With that said,

There are two applications for download in the market that are commonly used to backup/restore applications/data, messaging, call logs, system settings, and other user data. Both have free and paid versions. The main difference in paid and free versions is the time it takes to restore your user data, from minutes to hours some have reported. I am not an expert at these applications. I know how to use them, but I am saying you should figure it out too. It’s good to become familiar with your backup application(s) whichever you choose.

Here are the applications with references:

My Backup or My Backup Pro
-Simpler user interface, and less features. Makes backing up simple and user friendly, but offers less depth. My Backup User Guide
Titanium Backup or Titanium Backup Pro
More Advanced, More complicated, More features, More chance for error. I would recommend for advanced users only, or recommend you understand the app before using. TB - User's guide : Titanium Backup - Wiki

Both of these will work, both require root access and different people prefer different ones. I personally have one paid version and the free version of the other one.

Another app to consider is AppBrain App market. This will sync with your google account and will allow you to keep track of apps installed and give you links to re-install from the market or batch install from the internet. This doesn’t require root access and is a good second/third backup choice.

Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com

Things to Backup

Of things to backup Contacts and Applications are the things people will miss the most. I will cover these in specific and supply resources for others.

Contacts

You’ll be angry if you don’t back these up correctly. This can be done in a number of manners. Since it’s so important I recommend doing it with at least two or more of the following.

1. Export your contacts directly to the sdcard.
    Go into contacts---menu soft key--- import/export---export to sdcard
  2. Sync your contacts with your Google account
    System Settings---Accounts& Sync---Google—Sync Contacts
    (Go Online to gmail and double check everything is sync’d and looks ok)
  3. Use My Back Up (pro) or Titanium Backup (TiBu) to save contacts.
    (If you don’t how to do this read the user manuals listed above or just look around in the app and figure it out :p)
  4. Backup Assistant (will only backup contacts that are stored on the phone, not in accounts)

See Droid X Con's thread for another reference. http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/66762-tools-quick-links-please-read-post-1-before-posting-forum.html

[note]Contact pictures that were sync’d with Facebook, will be erased upon data wipe. If you don’t have a picture saved and sync’d with google, the contact picture will be gone upon restoring your contacts. You’ll have to re-sync FB and join contacts with google to get pic to appear across all applications.[/note]

Applications

Third party applications and data stored within the applications can be backed up for restore using the back-up software mentioned earlier or you could just re-download all them from the market. The market will remember what apps you have paid for, so there isn’t a need to repurchase those. Obviously, data from applications will not return if you re-download from the market. It’s gone if you don’t back it up.

When backing up applications with TiBU or MyBU you’ll have the option to backup apk’s (which is the app software), and/or application data (data stored within the application) or both at the same time. It is okay to backup apk+data simultaneously (batch) but I recommend restoring apk’s and data separately. We will cover restoring later in the thread. For now I would Batch Backup APKs+Data together. (TiBU does this by default in batch mode)

To backup apps with the mentioned backup software.

My Backup (Pro)

Backup—Applications & Media—Local (/sdcard/external_sd)—Select all or select the apps you would like to backup---ok to location—choose apk’s+data

Titanium Backup (Pro)

Launch TiBU—Menu soft key—Batch—[RUN] Backup all user apps—
Or
Launch TiBU—Backup/Restore—Individually choose the apps to backup.

Other things to consider backing up:

Messaging (SMS/MMS)

• MyBU and TiBU can back up your messaging. There is also a list of apps in the market directly related to backing up messaging.

Messaging Backup - Search Android Apps on AppBrain

For MMS as well (images from MMS)

MMS Backup - Search Android Apps on AppBrain

Documents

Google Doc’s-Saves Online. Double Check on-line to ensure your doc’s are there before wiping data.

ThinkFree Office-Saves to the Sdcard, so no backup needed.

Memo app or Write and Go- Backup App data with MyBU or TiBU.

Call Logs

• Backup with MyBU or TiBU

Calendar

• Sync Calendar with Google.

Calendar—menu soft key—more—settings—Calendars—Check google account---go back---Calendar Sync—Sync Google Calendar---

Check online to make sure the calendar sync’d appropriately with google.

• Back-up with MyBU or TiBU.

Emails

• Can be restored once the corresponding email account is setup.

Wi-fi Access Points.

• TiBU has a feature that will allow you to backup Wi-Fi access points (My backup Pro does not to my knowledge support this.)

Bluetooth Pairings

• TiBU

Browser bookmarks

TiBU or MyBU have an option to backup your browser bookmarks.

If you use a different browser than stock browser the bookmarks will be backed up in the respective applications data.

Xmarks
Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

Xmarks is a great app and dolphin hd browser plugin that will allow you to store and sync your bookmarks in the cloud and access across multiple sources (PC, Fascinate, etc) .
I use this and it’s awesome I highly recommend.

Just synchronize your bookmarks before doing a data wipe.

Launcher Pro Plus

Save your activation key, this is usually sent to you in an email.

Last edited:
Reactions: EisBlade and Robtao

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
III. Restoring

Restoring user data is a double edged sword. It can help you and it can hurt you.

Some notes to a clean restore:

• Your restore is as only as good as your backup. Don’t be frustrated if you didn’t backup properly.

• Don’t restore any SYSTEM related things if you’re switching Roms. (System Settings, System Data, etc). It’s a Force Close sandwich.

• Only begin restoring things once you’ve made sure that you’ve had a successful installation of your new Rom. I always cycle a couple of reboots without any problems before I am satisfied and move forward in restoration.

• It’s cool to Batch restore your APK’s. However, as I mentioned earlier, I recommend restoring apk’s and app data individually. TiBU by default in BATCH will restore apks+data and this has been reported not to cause any problems. However, I still feel that it is safer to restore app data as you find you need it, as this can limit the chances for problems, and be easier to diagnose if a problem pops up.

• Always check your system after restoring anything. If you batch your apk’s, reboot and make sure that everything restored ok, and your phone is booting ok before you move forward. Be Scientific after every change. Test it out.

• I do not backup or restore apps2sd app. It can cause problems during your restore. I recommend a clean install from the market after all your apk’s are restored.

Contacts

1. Most people will sync with Google to restore contacts, as establishing your google account is necessary to download things from the market.

To sync contacts: Settings—Accounts & Sync—Google Account—Sync Contacts

2. From sdcard:

Contacts—menu soft key---import/export—select where to save (I recommend google.com)

3. From TiBU or MyBU application (if you don’t know how, see user guides)

4. Backup Assistant—Settings—Accounts & Sync—Backup Assistant---Enter Pin –It will begin restore.

Applications

You’ll have to set up your google account to access the market. Once you do that you can re-download your backup software. It will remember your key if you purchased one of these.

My Backup (Pro)

Restore—Applications & Media)—Local (/sdcard/external_sd)—Select the backup you want to restore--Select all or select the apps you would like to restore ---ok to location—choose APKs (first)

Titanium Backup (Pro)

Launch TiBu—Backup/Restore—Select each individual app you want to restore and select apk. (Follow the same process to restore data that you want)

Or

Launch TiBu---Settings---Batch---Scroll to RESTORE--User Apps [RUN]—

[Messaging:

My Backup (Pro)

Restore— Data ---Local (/sdcard/external_sd)—Select the backup you want to restore--Select MMS ---ok to location—

(I usually restore all “data” I backed up at once. MMS, Call Log, etc using MbuP)

Titanium Backup (Pro)

Backup/Restore—choose [SMS/MMS Prefs] Messaging—Restore

Emails, Calendar, and many other things can be restored by sync and setting up your respective accounts on your phone. Obviously it’s impossible to cover all recovery of all the user data. My hope is at this point, you have become familiar with your restoration software, and got your contacts, applications and messaging successfully restored. There are some things personally, I just chalk it up to and reset up from scratch each time I wipe data. I find it’s safer and in the long run takes less time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EisBlade and Robtao

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
IV. Recap and Tip Sheet

Each person will have a different process. Rest assured this is a tight forum and there will almost always be someone around to help you if you hit snags in the process. With that said, you must also take some responsibility for what you do. No one can take care of your contacts but you. If those get jacked up there isn’t really anything anybody on any forum can do to get them back, it would be on you.

A Brief Recap:

• Don't back-up and restore anything SYSTEM if switching Rom's
  • Don't Factory Reset in settings
  • Handle restoration of APK's and app Data seperately if you want to be safe.
  • Know your backup software
  • Double check what you have backed up to ensure it's backed up properly.
  • Back-up across a couple different manners.

As a tip sheet I have included my process for backing up and restoring. This isn’t the law or the same for everybody, and this may look different for you, this is just how I roll..

1. Sync Contacts with Google and cross check on-line to ensure sync was successful.
2. Export Contacts to sdcard
3. Backup APKs+Data in MyBUpro
4. Backup user apps in TiBU
5. Backup select things in TiBU
6. Sync Xmarks
7. Sync Google Calendar and cross check to ensure it’s up to date online
8. Wipe cache’s
9. Perform wipe data/factory reset
10. Flash new Rom
11. (redo wipe data/factory reset if required i.e. UKB/CR)
12. Boot phone allowing media scanner to fully scan, then testing for install.
13. Reboot to recovery
14. Flash necessary patches
15. Reboot
16. *228 opt 1/opt2
17. Test phone for about 20 minutes(Websearch a couple pages, outgoing call, incoming call, send sms/mms, test camera/video, etc)

If satisfied…

18. Use setup wizard to establish google account..
19. Sync Contacts with google.
20. Download MyBUpro from market..
21. Batch Restore APK’s only
22. Reboot
23. Test phone again to ensure a clean restore of apps.
24. Set up other accounts. (Email and Fb)
25. Restore app data for selected apps
26. Reboot to test.
27. Reconfigure settings that I liked
28. Sync FB contacts..
29. Sync Calendar..
30. Join FB contacts to existing google contacts.
31. Enjoy my new phone setup!

Last edited:
Reactions: EisBlade

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Nice job! I'd like to add that if you are using TiBu to restore your apps that prior to doing the app restore process you set your phone to not restore apps automatically by going to Settings - Privacy - and make sure the box for "Automatic restore" is unchecked. Otherwise anything you have backed up to Google will automatically start restoring and it will do it all at once. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Also: CWM stands for Clockwork Mod

Reactions: Lttlwing16

adamklo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This is a WONDERFUL write-up! Very clear, concise and appears to be very user-friendly. I've currently got a twice-a-week schedule with MBU Rooted and TiBU Pro, but I'll for sure reference this if I decide to OTA to ED03 one day!

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks eib...I have never personally hit that snag with auto-restore but I am glad you mentioned it....CWM..Clockwork Mod/Recovery..I think we're on the same page..(CwM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery is the proper name..) :)

Robtao

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been restoring my data via CWM Nandroid Backup, using advanced restore, and only restoring data.

This is a very quick method, and seems to break nothing but...

Currently on Evil Fascination 3.5.1, wondering if this data restore method is overwriting anything in the ROM or newer functions?

Any reasons I should NOT be doing this? It seems like a possible candidate for the adage "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!"

Last edited:

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
good question.. to my knowledge ..a nandroid restore will re-write the system data.. not too sure about the advanced function..will find out for you and get back..

APeaceOfStrange

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thats correct. Flashing Com Rom v1.3 you should wipe data afterwards. Adry configured the gps to work with a data wipe after flashing the rom....thank him : P

Thanks! Just wanna make sure I have this straight. I have already data wiped after flashing com rom 1.3. So if for any reason I have to reflash 1.3 I would also wanna data wipe after the reflash. And when the next version of com rom comes out, I will want to data wipe after flashing that also?

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
No problem. If its a patch...I wouldn't wipe the data

unless I noticed problems..then I would go back and do it.

If its cheeseburger update like 1.3...I would..

UNLESS he reconfigures the gps thing to work without a data wipe....(fingers crossed)

Reactions: APeaceOfStrange

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been restoring my data via CWM Nandroid Backup, using advanced restore, and only restoring data.

This is a very quick method, and seems to break nothing but...

Currently on Evil Fascination 3.5.1, wondering if this data restore method is overwriting anything in the ROM or newer functions?

Any reasons I should NOT be doing this? It seems like a possible candidate for the adage "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!"

Confirmed. This isn't the way you want to roll.

More than likely your just rewriting part of the old Rom or all of it.

I would start backing up with MyBU or TiBU..:)

Robtao

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
good question.. to my knowledge ..a nandroid restore will re-write the system data.. not too sure about the advanced function..will find out for you and get back..

Well, when you choose an "Advanced Restore", it first lets you choose which full backup file to work with, but says "the next menu will [sic] you more options." then the options on the next page are:

Restore boot
Restore system
Restore data
Restore cache
Restore sd-ext
+++++Go Back+++++

So I have been choosing Restore data. And boom, my stuff is all back. But so is my launcher, etc. Which got me to thinking about launcher options which were part of the ROM and wondering if I was possibly losing new launcher features. But I think they are still in there, just possibly some user data selections having been overwritten.

But it definitely does NOT overwrite the whole ROM back to the old ROM.

I am also curious about what "Restore boot" is all about and if "Restore sd-ext" means my sd card is being backed up (I don't think so, because it is huge.)

Last edited:

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey, just got home from work. Nice write up man, I think this is a great addition to the forums and can help answer a lot of questions. I will gladly refer people to this thread when necessary! Thanks!

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, when you choose an "Advanced Restore", it first lets you choose which full backup file to work with, but says "the next menu will [sic] you more options." then the options on the next page are:

Restore boot
Restore system
Restore data
Restore cache
Restore sd-ext
+++++Go Back+++++

So I have been choosing Restore data. And boom, my stuff is all back. But so is my launcher, etc. Which got me to thinking about launcher options which were part of the ROM and wondering if I was possibly losing new launcher features. But I think they are still in there, just possibly some user data selections having been overwritten.

But it definitely does NOT overwrite the whole ROM back to the old ROM.

I am also curious about what "Restore boot" is all about and if "Restore sd-ext" means my sd card is being backed up (I don't think so, because it is huge.)

-this is a good find and sounds very promising, and I have a certain advisor playing around with it.....However, since your the only person I have heard of using this function (Jaekar99,DXC, Myself, and the countless people we help have not used it, if they had they aren't sharing)..I can't justify recommending it to people right now.....the support would be limited to yourself.

I'll let you know what DroidXCon finds.. and when the new version of KB comes out I may be inclined to play around with it some..

Couple questions, just to satisfy my curiosity,

What steps did you take to ensure that it's not overwriting the whole ROM? Did you come from SC2.x to KB with nandroid data from SC? Stock to KB with nandroid data from Stock? What was your process... :)

and

When you say launcher..does that mean your custom launcher (lp, adw) shows back up (it should if it's restored)? or the launcher that came with your Rom shows up after you restore nandroid data and the custom launcher doesn't (which it should)? Clarify for my thick head.. :cool:

thanks

dave

Robtao

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Ha! My one claim to fame! Now back to the real world of relative Android newbie-ism.

Well, for examples of maintaining the ROM, the new TSM Parts under Settings in the new EF ROM stays, I think. (or did I flash that?) Baseband and Build number both still contain ED01 after restoring data from previous ROM over ED01. (I used the Anrynalyne method, not OTA ED01).

What else would be a good thing to check?

I kind of like Launcher, fromm Com Rom and EF, and now what I think is Launcher2, but this is where I began to wonder if my Nandroid Data backup might be overwriting some of the ROM launcher stuff. Because I don't know how to tell if I have Launcher2 or not.

I believe my evolution path has been:
Stock
Odin DB/DO tar
EC01 DB/D0 (zip i think, can't remember)
ED01 (Adrynalyne)
ComROM 1.0 zip
EF, all variants in sequence. zip

Oh, and I wipe like crazy, includiing data. Lately, triple wipes, but I think that is overkill. (did triple wipe originally mean wipe all 3 places? or 3 times each?)

Whenever I started flashing through CWR, shortly after (perhaps immediately) I started doing Nandroid Backups, and found Advanced Restore/ Restore data. Used it ever since. TB is pretty flexible, but also pretty convoluted. Based on your writeup, though, I am trying My Backup again as a more straight forward alternative. (I even wonder if it doesn't do many of the same things as Nandroid.)

I think I will try flashing the new MIUI Hybrid over at XDA, with a number of different backups, My Backup first, then Nandroid Data, and see what I get.

I think with Android (minus the Fascinate-ing tendency to write the file structure poorly, as I understand, and to create unusual dependencies) it should be possible to stucture the files such that a very clean batch User Data backup could be obtained. Making flashing so easy some of us junkie's won't know what to do betweeen flashes. (actually using our phones instead of tweaking them?) :p Here's hoping I am right.

PS: nothing thick about your head

Last edited: