Is there a Guide for removing Bing from the stock ROM?

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am currently running the de-binged/debloated ED01 ROM and I love it. I was wondering if there was a tutorial on how to de-bing ROMs yourself. I know you need to get root first. Is it as simple as renaming the Bing apk files? I'm assuming there is more to it. I would just like to be able to keep up to date with the latest stock ROM (currently ED04) and not have Bing. Since it looks like no one is going to de-bing the stock ROMs anymore I was hoping I could learn to do it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

yaeyaeman

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
All I did was add .old to the apk file. Then I went on the marketplace and downloaded the Google search app and it automatically linked itself to the search button.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
yeah, heres a step by step for ya:

1. Flash Com ROM 2.0
2. Once you realize what you have been missing, slap your self

:D;)

I actually really like TouchWiz and the Samsung apps (dialer, SMS, etc.) That's why I was asking. CommROM is a little too custom for my taste. Basically, I would stay stock if Bing wasn't on this phone.

Thanks.

So, do you just rename Bing Search apk, Bing Maps apk, and replace the browser apk?

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually really like TouchWiz and the Samsung apps (dialer, SMS, etc.) That's why I was asking. CommROM is a little too custom for my taste. Basically, I would stay stock if Bing wasn't on this phone.

Thanks.

So, do you just rename Bing Search apk, Bing Maps apk, and replace the browser apk?

check these themes out, it will give you the extras that come with a tsm rom and the look you want.

[THEME] Crysis Revolution v3.5 *Community ROM 2.0!* *6.3.11* - xda-developers

[Theme] TouchWiz4 v2.6 *Community Rom 2.0* *6.5.11* - xda-developers (you will def like this one)

[Theme] Erebos for Community Rom 1.3 *5.8.11* (wip) - xda-developers

thefunkbot seems kinda like your style. he does really good work.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
check these themes out, it will give you the extras that come with a tsm rom and the look you want.

[THEME] Crysis Revolution v3.5 *Community ROM 2.0!* *6.3.11* - xda-developers

[Theme] TouchWiz4 v2.6 *Community Rom 2.0* *6.5.11* - xda-developers (you will def like this one)

[Theme] Erebos for Community Rom 1.3 *5.8.11* (wip) - xda-developers

thefunkbot seems kinda like your style. he does really good work.

Thanks, I'll think about it. I'm a little weary about going to a voodoo kernel since everything works just fine the way it is right now. The instructions for going back to non-voodoo look a little more complex. It's hard to switch everything when everything is working. I just didn't want to miss out on any new features if they keep releasing OTAs.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
ED04 isn't much different at all from ED01. The biggest change was the radio, which supposedly is supposed to have better call connectivity. You can upgrade just the radio and stick with your current ROM. Many people however are still having issues, though. So in all honesty, you are up to date with ED01

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
ED04 isn't much different at all from ED01. The biggest change was the radio, which supposedly is supposed to have better call connectivity. You can upgrade just the radio and stick with your current ROM. Many people however are still having issues, though. So in all honesty, you are up to date with ED01

Yeah, I was thinking more for future updates. Maybe if it has some significant changes a dev will just de-bing it. It just seems like all attention would go to CommROM and no one would bother just de-binging future stock ROMs. Maybe I'm wrong.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking more for future updates. Maybe if it has some significant changes a dev will just de-bing it. It just seems like all attention would go to CommROM and no one would bother just de-binging future stock ROMs. Maybe I'm wrong.

Every major release so far has been deBinged and debated, ED01 just happens to be the latest. I wouldn't expect any more major releases (until GB, but don't hold your breath)

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

No ur right, com rom is a huge effort and no one wants to debloat a rom 3 people will use. Ota updates are a waste of time if you flash custom roms. Com rom really is a great piece of engineering. If you dont like the look, flash a theme, theres a ton. I picked a few I thought you would like. Voodoo really cant be beat. And converting back is easy. Though why you would ever convert back is beyond me.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Is the TW4 launcher with CommROM actually TouchWiz? Or is it just a launcher pro skin? My favorite thing about TouchWiz is the the 4 customizable dock icons. I really dislike how small the icons are on all the third party launcher docks. I know a lot of effort was put in to get rid of TouchWiz but I actually like it.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the TW4 launcher with CommROM actually TouchWiz? Or is it just a launcher pro skin? My favorite thing about TouchWiz is the the 4 customizable dock icons. I really dislike how small the icons are on all the third party launcher docks. I know a lot of effort was put in to get rid of TouchWiz but I actually like it.

The TW4 launcher is not included in Comm ROM, not yet anyway.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I understand where the op is coming from. I to like touch wiz, but want to debing. Here is the easy way. Root. download root explorer. Rename the bing apk to old. Search for a debinged browser apk someone made it for eb01, remove the stock browser apk and put the debinged one. That should get you debinged.hope that helps.

Reactions: Landshark

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I meant is the TW4 Launcher download in that link actually the TouchWiz launcher? or just an LP skin to look like TW4. From what I've read it looks like the TW launchers aren't compatible with CommROM?

The TW4 launcher listed under Extras in the TW4 theme thread is the TW4 launcher from the Galaxy S 2 modded to work with Comm ROM 2.0. Not sure it will work with ED01 debinged/debloated. Gunner would be a better person to give you his opinion on that since he is on the team that developed Comm ROM 2.0

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I meant is the TW4 Launcher download in that link actually the TouchWiz launcher? or just an LP skin to look like TW4. From what I've read it looks like the TW launchers aren't compatible with CommROM?

The tw theme I linked includes tw 4. It is built for com rom 2.0

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The TW4 launcher listed under Extras in the TW4 theme thread is the TW4 launcher from the Galaxy S 2 modded to work with Comm ROM 2.0. Not sure it will work with ED01 debinged/debloated. Gunner would be a better person to give you his opinion on that since he is on the team that developed Comm ROM 2.0

I wouldn't use it with the ROM I currently have. I'm okay with TW3. I was just wondering if it was the actual launcher if I were to ever go to CommROM. Looks like it still isn't completely stable though? Or is it fixed now? I've read a few posts where people say CommROM with the TW4 Launcher is fine until they reboot and then everything is gone.

Thanks for the info everyone. I was the same way with my Incredible. I tried CM7, SkyRaider, etc. I always ended up back at stock Sense. For some reason the stock ROMs just seem to do everything I need and are more stable.

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you like TW, the TW4 theme with launcher is very nice. I'm running it right now and I like the way it works. But you do have to be on CR 2.0. You may not have to, but when I flashed the launcher zip in CWM, I had to redo it, as the first time just put me in a boot loop.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If you like TW, the TW4 theme with launcher is very nice. I'm running it right now and I like the way it works. But you do have to be on CR 2.0. You may not have to, but when I flashed the launcher zip in CWM, I had to redo it, as the first time just put me in a boot loop.

Have you had any issues with the TW4 Launcher? Does it matter if you install theme or launcher first?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer