Which version CWR do I have?

bgbird

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have seen references to multiple versions of "red" recovery as well as orange and blue.
Mine is red. How can i tell if it is the V3 red version?

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I have seen references to multiple versions of "red" recovery as well as orange and blue.
Mine is red. How can i tell if it is the V3 red version?

When you boot to recovery the version number will be listed below the menus.. 3.1... or 2.5....

That is how you would determine..

Colors have little to do with functionality any more.. times_infinity themed his version with blue, purple and imnuts has a yellow version..

bgbird

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So based on the text at the top and bottom of the recover menu, I'm running a 2.5 flavor. I was able to install COM 2.0 and the 2.1 upgrade. Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to V3 CWR?

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Some of the backup/restore functions for CWM 2.5 are not fully functional - There are some advanced functions available in 3.0 with kernel steps and the like.. There is also some questions about nandroid back up and restores not working properly depending on the version of 2.5 you have..

The reason for the end user is what you do with the CWM... if you don't use those features then you will likely not need the more advanced CWM.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
OK...so I updated to version 3.0.2.8x.ti and now when I try to create a back up image I get an "Error while backing up boot image!" error. Any ideas what is causing this?

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a known error and you may want to try the OTB recovery..

I have not seen reports of the OTB having image back up issues.

Thanks for the help. I'm trying it now. I ran the update.zip and now I am rebooting. I think my phone is voodooing. Doh!!! What should I expect? I have never done this before. Hopefully I can undo it.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I have been running voodoo for months... Just have to be careful not to flash a nonvoodoo kernel ontop of the voodoo kernel when it is enabled.

If you find you do not want voodoo - it is easily undone by booting back into recovery - navigate down to voodoo - select.. You should see that voodoo is 'enabled' - and on the next boot it will say enabled..
Select to disable on the next boot.. It should indicate: on the next boot 'disable'

Reboot phone and voodoo will disable.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe the phone finished the voodoo update (heard the female voice) and on reboot I have been staring at the Samsung logo for 20 minutes now. Should I do a battery pull or keep waiting?

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe the phone finished the voodoo update (heard the female voice) and on reboot I have been staring at the Samsung logo for 20 minutes now. Should I do a battery pull or keep waiting?

Pull battery - put it back: Boot into recovery using the power and volume up and down at the same time until the samsung logo comes on then let go of the power.. it should boot into recovery.. then disable/enable the voodoo setting... then reboot the phone.

I have to depart for work - sorry I cannot stick through this process with you..

Last edited:
Reactions: skiddingus

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Pull battery - put it back: Boot into recovery using the power and volume up and down at the same time until the samsung logo comes on then let go of the power.. it should boot into recovery.. then disable/enable the voodoo setting... then reboot the phone.

I have to depart for work - sorry I cannot stick through this process with you..
This worked but I lost everything. I just flashed back to DI01 and I'm updating now. I guess i have a restoration project tonight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1