CWR will not work anymore on build ED04

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
OK...so last night I wiped my phone and restored it back to bone stock and downloaded all the current updates. I am now on build ED04 and Baseband ED04. My old build number was ED01. (my wife's phone is still ED01/ED04) I rooted and restored all my apps. I have spent a couple hours trying to get a CWR to "stick" in the phone. I have tried several different versions including the 2.5.X.X that is running on my wife's phone but everything I try only works for one boot immediately into recovery. Once I boot the phone fully, I can no longer get any CWR other than the basic recovery and it will not allow me to run any update.zip files. Does anyone have a CWR that will work on this software build combination?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
You have to flash a custom kernel in order for CWM to stick. Once you Odin CWM, boot immediately in it instead of letting it boot up normally. From there, flash your choice of kernel, then CWM will be available each time you reboot. The stock kernel will overwrite the custom recovery if you don't do this

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
You have to flash a custom kernel in order for CWM to stick. Once you Odin CWM, boot immediately in it instead of letting it boot up normally. From there, flash your choice of kernel, then CWM will be available each time you reboot. The stock kernel will overwrite the custom recovery if you don't do this

Thank you. That explains it. I used the debloated/debinged version before and it must have been a new kernel. I would like to keep the "stock" kernel but make the CWR stick. My kernel is 2.6.32.9. I''l do some searching but is there a nearly stock kernel I can use that you know of?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. That explains it. I used the debloated/debinged version before and it must have been a new kernel. I would like to keep the "stock" kernel but make the CWR stick. My kernel is 2.6.32.9. I''l do some searching but is there a nearly stock kernel I can use that you know of?

Both stock and custom kernels will all be 2.6.32.9. That just identifies it as a Froyo kernel. Gingerbread kernels are 2.6.35. Look through JaeKar99's Themes, ROMs, kernels thread. Any of the custom 2.2 kernels listed in there will work. As far as being closest to stock I guess you would have to use one of the ones from jt1134.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...s-roms-kernels-boot-animations-6-29-11-a.html

dwitherell

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I have not used this, but you can find a stock ED01 kernel here where the only change that has been made is the removal of the stock recovery overwrite that happens with the standard stock kernel on every boot. My understanding is it is essentially a stock kernel that lets you keep CWM. Hope this helps!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have not used this, but you can find a stock ED01 kernel here where the only change that has been made is the removal of the stock recovery overwrite that happens with the standard stock kernel on every boot. My understanding is it is essentially a stock kernel that lets you keep CWM. Hope this helps!

Good call. I forgot about that one.

Reactions: skiddingus

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

It worked great!!!! Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol