Fascinate Replacement: Droid Charge or Droid Incredible2

ebernedo86

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all

I have a question, as most of you may know, on Verizon we can get our fascinates replaced with a Droid Charge, Droid Incredible 2, or Droid X2 as a warranty replacement (does not affect my contract)

i want a front face camera so I'm not going to go for the Droid X2

Which would you recommend?
Please take into account that I live in Tucson AZ, and they do not get 4g until the end of the year.
Also in September, I'm eligible for an upgrade, so I'm sure better 4g phones will be out by then.

I have a fascinate now and its pretty cool, I love the screen but I read that the DINC2 has better overall specs. Which would you recommend in my case? I hear the charge is a slightly bigger version of the samsung fascinate with the same processor (which is still good) and a front face camera and 4g of course (but I dont have 4g in my city)

Thanks

Hotweelz

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty much in the same boat. Although when I asked about the Charge they said they were out of them right now and not sure when they would get more. With no 4g yet where I live, I decided to go with the HTC Inc2 I have an upgrade I can use anytime and one coming due next feb. as well. So I'm waiting to see how the newer 4g phones turn out and in the meanwhile play with my new Inc2 I get on thurs. Hope this helps.

ebernedo86

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty much in the same boat. Although when I asked about the Charge they said they were out of them right now and not sure when they would get more. With no 4g yet where I live, I decided to go with the HTC Inc2 I have an upgrade I can use anytime and one coming due next feb. as well. So I'm waiting to see how the newer 4g phones turn out and in the meanwhile play with my new Inc2 I get on thurs. Hope this helps.

That does help. let me know what you think of it when you get it compared to your fascinate

atomD21

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one personally, but a coworker of mine has a DInc2 and I got to use it yesterday for a bit. It's a nice phone, and since you can get it without it messing up your upgrade, I would go with that and wait for what's coming down the pipe for new 4g phones.

LxiMax

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I did the trade and went with the Inc 2 over the Charge. IMO, the only advantages the Charge has is the extra .3" screen w/ AMOLED, 4G, and the physical buttons if you're into those. The Inc 2 has more RAM, 768 vs 512, has Sense which I think is smoother then TouchWiz, and was just updated to Gingerbread. Inc 2 will work well until the 4G network is more established.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
See I had 4g here in Harrisburg and since the dinc and the x2 arent 4 g phones, i went with the Charge. Got it this morning, LOVE IT. I have yet to dip down to 3g, already soft bricked it once (just as easy to recover from as the fassy) and it looks like GB is coming soon for it (don't quote me on that but there has been a leak for over a month).

The physical buttons take a bit to get used to, but with half a day under my belt, it is getting easier. Oh and it was charge up maybe 80% at 11AM and I haven't charged it at all (except when it was connected for flashing) and I am stiff hovering around 40% with heavy use.

jackchaos

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I talked with Tech Support again yesterday. It seems to help if you call from your phone and then they flag your acct and give you a number to call back from a landline. I spent zero time on hold and got right to mid level support.

They had me check to see what I was running.Once this was confirmed then they handed me off to someone else who read me an email where he could offer me one of three phones: Inc2, X2, or Charge. He could ship me an Inc2 or an X2 but I had to go to a store to get the Charge.

I'm going to the store and get or order a Charge today. Not sure exactly what happens from reading the accounts on here.

ozahran

May 20, 2011
Visit site
If I were you I'd go with the Incredible 2, the Charge has had some really negative feedback mainly concerning battery life and whatnot. But if you liked Touchwiz on the Fascinate, then I'd say the Charge would be ok for you. And since you dont have LTE yet, you may have a better battery life experience since you'll be on 3G only. Theyre both good phones, just really have to ask yourself if you can live without super AMOLED and Touchwiz.

Inferno217

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from my local Verizon store...

They couldn't order me a Charge because they are all out of stock on the certified refurb units. They said because of the newness of the phone it wasn't likely that they'd get any soon. I'm deciding whether or not to just go for the Incredible 2 at this point.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from my local Verizon store...

They couldn't order me a Charge because they are all out of stock on the certified refurb units. They said because of the newness of the phone it wasn't likely that they'd get any soon. I'm deciding whether or not to just go for the Incredible 2 at this point.

mine was a new one, nothing certified used about it.

Someone mentioned the battery life on the charge. I don't know how long the Dinc lasts, but the reports from the Charge forum seem to say that 10-12 hours of moderate use is the norm for the Charge. I have only had it for a day so I cannot speak from experience yet

Inferno217

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
mine was a new one, nothing certified used about it.

Someone mentioned the battery life on the charge. I don't know how long the Dinc lasts, but the reports from the Charge forum seem to say that 10-12 hours of moderate use is the norm for the Charge. I have only had it for a day so I cannot speak from experience yet

Are you 100% sure? Sometimes the factory refurbs look pretty new and now I'm worried that what they fed me a line of **** just to get rid of me. A lot of people were saying that theirs did not come with a SIM card for the LTE, suggesting that it was a certified refurb. I'll call tomorrow - they said to call every day to check for availability so I'm not sure that they are really trying to get me to take a different phone.

ebernedo86

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Update:
I actually ended up ordering the charge (right now after speaking with verizon and playing with fancy words, I can still exchange for the droid inc2)

Also another update:
Verizon told me that here in Tucson, AZ, they will get 4g next month (august) which kind of changes things a bit

So far the charge is kind of like a bigger fascinate with front face and 4g.

So now Im a little stuck because the charge is cool but it doesnt feel like a new phone since its a fascinate with more features

I like the fact that the dinc2 has dual core processor and already has 2.3 out for it.

who knows when the charge will get 2.3? we all know what happened with froyo on the fascinate

at the same time, now that 4g will come next month

what do you guys recommend? the decision has become a little tougher :(
I saw on this forum and the inc2 forum that people migrated from the fascinate and say the inc2 is much snappier and better than the fascinate..I wanted to get more thoughts

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I like the fact that the dinc2 has dual core processor and already has 2.3 out for it.

The Incredible 2 is a single-core, the Droid X2 has a dual-core, but yea, all the reports I've read seem to indicate it's very fast.

I agree, though, that the Charge is basically a Fascinate with a larger screen and 4G. That's good and bad - good because coming from the Fascinate you pretty much already know how to root/odin/hack it. The bad is that it's another phone from Samsung, which means it'll be buggy and in all likelihood will lag behind most other phones for updates. The size is good or bad depending on your preference. Personally, the Fascinate was already bordering on too large, so that was a knock against the Charge for me.

One thing to keep in mind about the Incredible 2 is that it will most likely come already updated to Gingerbread, and as of right now, there's no way to root it. I'm sure it'll be rooted before too long, and I'm OK waiting. I don't expect 4G service in my area any time soon, and I'm out of WiFi range so infrequently that it's a non-issue even if it was available. As long as the Incredible gets a decent signal in my area, I'll be happy. If not, I was told by the rep that I could exchange it for the X2 or Charge.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Update:
I actually ended up ordering the charge (right now after speaking with verizon and playing with fancy words, I can still exchange for the droid inc2)

Also another update:
Verizon told me that here in Tucson, AZ, they will get 4g next month (august) which kind of changes things a bit

So far the charge is kind of like a bigger fascinate with front face and 4g.

So now Im a little stuck because the charge is cool but it doesnt feel like a new phone since its a fascinate with more features

who knows when the charge will get 2.3? we all know what happened with froyo on the fascinate

at the same time, now that 4g will come next month

what do you guys recommend? the decision has become a little tougher :(
I saw on this forum and the inc2 forum that people migrated from the fascinate and say the inc2 is much snappier and better than the fascinate..I wanted to get more thoughts

I just got the Incredible 2 in place of the Fascinate last week. It isn't dual core though. However, it is twice as fast as the Fascinate in my opinion. Nothing lags at all on it. After my experience with the Fascinate I wanted no part in basically the same phone (Charge). I had the original Incredible and only switched to the Fascinate because of the screen (bigger, better looking). Everything just works on the Incredible 2, as it did on the original Incredible. GPS locks instantly. I don't know if you are like me but I don't care for custom ROMs and in my opinion HTC Sense can't be beat for overlays. As for 4G, I've never had it and my phones have always done what I needed so I feel I don't need it. Besides, I still have my upgrade and I'd rather wait for more polished 4G phones.

Inferno217

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible 2 is a single-core, the Droid X2 has a dual-core, but yea, all the reports I've read seem to indicate it's very fast.

I agree, though, that the Charge is basically a Fascinate with a larger screen and 4G. That's good and bad - good because coming from the Fascinate you pretty much already know how to root/odin/hack it. The bad is that it's another phone from Samsung, which means it'll be buggy and in all likelihood will lag behind most other phones for updates. The size is good or bad depending on your preference. Personally, the Fascinate was already bordering on too large, so that was a knock against the Charge for me.

One thing to keep in mind about the Incredible 2 is that it will most likely come already updated to Gingerbread, and as of right now, there's no way to root it. I'm sure it'll be rooted before too long, and I'm OK waiting. I don't expect 4G service in my area any time soon, and I'm out of WiFi range so infrequently that it's a non-issue even if it was available. As long as the Incredible gets a decent signal in my area, I'll be happy. If not, I was told by the rep that I could exchange it for the X2 or Charge.

While I agree that the Incredible 2 is an excellent phone, I don't agree that the Charge will lag behind when it comes to updates. Yes, they do not have a great track record. BUT it now carries the DROID label by Verizon and that instantly makes it more of a flagship device. Verizon will not allow a DROID device to fall behind when other high-end flagship devices (especially on other carriers) are progressing through the Android OS ranks.

Samsung is typically behind when updating their devices but I believe that because of the label of being a DROID, the Charge will be treated differently by Verizon and thus Verizon will put the pressure on Samsung to keep its product current.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you 100% sure? Sometimes the factory refurbs look pretty new and now I'm worried that what they fed me a line of **** just to get rid of me. A lot of people were saying that theirs did not come with a SIM card for the LTE, suggesting that it was a certified refurb. I'll call tomorrow - they said to call every day to check for availability so I'm not sure that they are really trying to get me to take a different phone.

If they are out of warranty replacements, they will start sending out new ones. If it comes in a "kit" where each component is separate (phone, battery, cover) then it is a refurb. If it comes in original packaging with everything in the box, it is new. The SIM has to be picked up at point of sale, or a retail store, in order for it to be activated

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
While I agree that the Incredible 2 is an excellent phone, I don't agree that the Charge will lag behind when it comes to updates. Yes, they do not have a great track record. BUT it now carries the DROID label by Verizon and that instantly makes it more of a flagship device. Verizon will not allow a DROID device to fall behind when other high-end flagship devices (especially on other carriers) are progressing through the Android OS ranks.

Samsung is typically behind when updating their devices but I believe that because of the label of being a DROID, the Charge will be treated differently by Verizon and thus Verizon will put the pressure on Samsung to keep its product current.

Maybe so, but seeing as how the Incredible already officially has Gingerbread and the Charge is still on Froyo, I wouldnt hold my breath. I may end up with a Charge if the Incredible has poor reception, but I wouldn't look forward to the idea. The Fascinate was a decent piece of hardware, but Samsung's endless software bugs had become intollerable.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Mine came in today, definitely a brand new unit. I found it odd I got a brand new unit when my original Fascinate was a refurb. I know it's brand new because it's the original box, all components, etc. You do have to pick up the SIM card at the store, and only corporate stores can do this.

ebernedo86

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...
the droid charge I got was brand new. Im starting to lean on switching it for the Dinc2
Im eligible for an upgrade and Im sure come fall time, better 4g phones will come out and to compete with whatever iphone5 comes out with

I do like that GB is on the Inc2 already...as with samsung..i remember froyo took forever and it felt like it was always the last of the bunch of phones to get updates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674