New Fascinate on the way

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
OK to start... I have been running COM Rom 2.1 for at least the last month w/ PB&J Voodoo kernel & couldn't be happier. I also upgraded the radio to the leaked EC09 & voila had some pretty swank 3G data coming down the pipe. Battery life still sucked major, even with training & reset of stats (been a long process trying to get that right so I finally gave up) but I settled with about 8 hrs til dead and just figure to keep a spare around.

Yesterday, I did a full nandroid and Titanium backup (whew) & I figured I'd Odin to stock to see just what has come of the phone with all the calling and data problems since the Froyo update in April. My wife ditched her Fascinate for iPhone when it hit Verizon (she always liked the iPhone anyway:eek:) so I only had mine to test things on. After the updates all installed up to 2.2.2 ED05, my phone crashed... & crashed... & crashed some more. Even after a factory reset that VZW tech had me do, it crashed again and again. Yikes

I immediately took my sd card & backed up everything on it in my PC just for safety, formatted it, reset phone &... it continued to crash. VZW solution was to overnight a new phone. Don't know what happened to be sure but ED05 update just didn't agree with my phone. VZW tech told me also if this new phone went haywire I would have to choose between X2 and Dinc2 for replacement (no longer doing the Charge, which is fine I don't have 4G) so there is a serious problem with the new software. Or perhaps I've rooted and hacked my phone six ways from Sunday so many times (thx to these forums and XDA :p) that some artifact left over somewhere in the phone just blew it up. Either way I'll report back once new phone is up & running today.

You know I had big issues with the phone when I first got it, but since December or so with custom Roms and rooted apps I've had no complaints. I might be sad to lose it if things don't go well :'(.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
OK to start... I have been running COM Rom 2.1 for at least the last month w/ PB&J Voodoo kernel & couldn't be happier. I also upgraded the radio to the leaked EC09 & voila had some pretty swank 3G data coming down the pipe. Battery life still sucked major, even with training & reset of stats (been a long process trying to get that right so I finally gave up) but I settled with about 8 hrs til dead and just figure to keep a spare around.

Yesterday, I did a full nandroid and Titanium backup (whew) & I figured I'd Odin to stock to see just what has come of the phone with all the calling and data problems since the Froyo update in April. My wife ditched her Fascinate for iPhone when it hit Verizon (she always liked the iPhone anyway:eek:) so I only had mine to test things on. After the updates all installed up to 2.2.2 ED05, my phone crashed... & crashed... & crashed some more. Even after a factory reset that VZW tech had me do, it crashed again and again. Yikes

I immediately took my sd card & backed up everything on it in my PC just for safety, formatted it, reset phone &... it continued to crash. VZW solution was to overnight a new phone. Don't know what happened to be sure but ED05 update just didn't agree with my phone. VZW tech told me also if this new phone went haywire I would have to choose between X2 and Dinc2 for replacement (no longer doing the Charge, which is fine I don't have 4G) so there is a serious problem with the new software. Or perhaps I've rooted and hacked my phone six ways from Sunday so many times (thx to these forums and XDA :p) that some artifact left over somewhere in the phone just blew it up. Either way I'll report back once new phone is up & running today.

You know I had big issues with the phone when I first got it, but since December or so with custom Roms and rooted apps I've had no complaints. I might be sad to lose it if things don't go well :'(.

There have been numerous threads/posts about the ED04 and ED05 software.... it is crap, and verizon knows it.

If I were you, I would take the free replacement while you still can. I was lucky to get in and get the Charge while it was still an option. (I'd go with the Dinc2 if I were you... have heard great things about it as well.... would have been my choice if not for the Charge)

Reactions: TheANARCHY

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
There have been numerous threads/posts about the ED04 and ED05 software.... it is crap, and verizon knows it.

If I were you, I would take the free replacement while you still can. I was lucky to get in and get the Charge while it was still an option. (I'd go with the Dinc2 if I were you... have heard great things about it as well.... would have been my choice if not for the Charge)
That's the thing... I've been rooted & running custom Roms so long now I had no idea about all these issues.:eek: But I'm still waiting on the new phone to get here & see what is to come of all this. I just hope that whatever happened isn't embedded in my sd card save image that I backed up on my pc & plan to reload on the new phone. If the problem is there I have no way of knowing what it is and how to fix which means my backup could be completely useless... not good & I'd probably just bite the bullet & do a swap in that case.

It would probably be the Dinc2 as the review was positive & Moto just worries me with those locked boot loaders & the stories I'm reading about major lag in it's UI as well as camera functions. Not good for a dual core smartphone to suffer from those problems. We shall see what the smartphone gods have in store once Fedex arrives.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing... I've been rooted & running custom Roms so long now I had no idea about all these issues.:eek: But I'm still waiting on the new phone to get here & see what is to come of all this. I just hope that whatever happened isn't embedded in my sd card save image that I backed up on my pc & plan to reload on the new phone. If the problem is there I have no way of knowing what it is and how to fix which means my backup could be completely useless... not good & I'd probably just bite the bullet & do a swap in that case.

It would probably be the Dinc2 as the review was positive & Moto just worries me with those locked boot loaders & the stories I'm reading about major lag in it's UI as well as camera functions. Not good for a dual core smartphone to suffer from those problems. We shall see what the smartphone gods have in store once Fedex arrives.

well, to be sure, you can always flash back to complete stock, which wll elimate EVERYTHING you have ever done as far as flashing ROMs and Kernels... OTA the ED05 update... root, flash whatever you want and see how it goes

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok here is my update... Fedex dropped the new phone about half an hr ago. Swapped the battery loaded SD card & back. Fired it up, which it did. Downloaded ED05 update. Good so far except

NO DATA SIGNAL (not shouting just emphasis) at all... not even 1xRTT

Hmmm

Just got off the phone, my sons line by the way, with lvl 2 tech support & he said no more games how about I send you a new Droid Charge because this phone is a lemon! Nice! Unexpected cause Like I say I've been wayyyyy out of the loop since December running custom Roms.

But now I'm saddened that I'll lose the Fascinate. I've grown to really like this phone. What happened to it?

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok here is my update... Fedex dropped the new phone about half an hr ago. Swapped the battery loaded SD card & back. Fired it up, which it did. Downloaded ED05 update. Good so far except

NO DATA SIGNAL (not shouting just emphasis) at all... not even 1xRTT

Hmmm

Just got off the phone, my sons line by the way, with lvl 2 tech support & he said no more games how about I send you a new Droid Charge because this phone is a lemon! Nice! Unexpected cause Like I say I've been wayyyyy out of the loop since December running custom Roms.

But now I'm saddened that I'll lose the Fascinate. I've grown to really like this phone. What happened to it?

i felt the same exact way... really loved my Fascinate... it just didn;t take the new software. But, don't worry... after a few hours with your Charge, you will forget ALL about the Fascinate.

It really is the same phone (UI, OS, etc) just MUCH more faster and powerful. It is just as costomizeable as well. I think my lasted about 2 hours before I rooted it :)

Congrats on getting that offer though... a lot of people are reporting they aren't getting this offer as they were a few days ago

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
i felt the same exact way... really loved my Fascinate... it just didn;t take the new software. But, don't worry... after a few hours with your Charge, you will forget ALL about the Fascinate.

It really is the same phone (UI, OS, etc) just MUCH more faster and powerful. It is just as costomizeable as well. I think my lasted about 2 hours before I rooted it :)

Congrats on getting that offer though... a lot of people are reporting they aren't getting this offer as they were a few days ago
Yeah I was surprised. The guy just said enough is enough. He explained the mass email from corporate & the whole bit. Said the phone was just a dud after the update & no need playing around with it.

So I'm excited I guess. I'm really going to miss this Fascinate however :(. Hope there is a Comm Rom for it soon as that has been my flavor of choice for the last 2 months. But I also see DroidXcon working his magic on this which leaves me no doubt it will be something awesome to come.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I just called and the replacement phone offer has been stopped because they believe the new ED05 update fixes the missed call issue. I asked them to note on my file that I had called about the issue and if the update does not fix the problem I will be calling back. That is about all I can do for now. I wish I had called last week (sigh).

FNDomination

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Dang. I wish I called last week as well. I was told my phone is fine even though I already had the same issue today. This tech support guy is calling me back on Monday to see how things are going. I mentioned replacing the phone, and he said all they could do would be to send me another fascinate. I had to keep my anger very much in check at that point.

Verizon has done okay by me so far, but now they are starting to piss me off.

curley1441

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
i called Wednesday and actually went to the store to order my charge got it yesterday and got the sim card last night saw the up date and was thinking about giving it a shot glad i didn't.

TheANARCHY

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I encourage all of you to hold your ground. Be firm in your talks with tech support, but not rude. I think you'll find them quite willing to keep you happy if you remain professional to them & appeal to their sense of problem solving. Write down ALL things they tell you and be sure to get their names as well as what support center they are working out of as different ones handle different phones I have come to understand. Also make sure they notate your acct in full so that you can simplify the talks with the next agent.

The fact that I had documented my calls since last night and what every agent said to me, as well as their names & what location they worked out of made my process fairly painless. I have no doubt Verizon is looking to keep customers happy with the pending AT&T/T Mobile merger (that will get approved by the rubber stamps at the gov't) & what that will mean for their ability to compete for your business.

Just remember you are the customer & you deserve to be treated fairly & with respect & you will be taken care of.

Reactions: JOrtenzi