Tried Installing OTA update EH03, now stuck at Samsung screen

discombobulate

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the local rep told me nothing could be done, ended up using an upgrade to get two free Pantech Breakout phones. Then I come home and find Lttlwing16 fixed all my problems with post #9. Thanks again.

Damn you Verizon!

k_constant

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I too had my phone stuck at Samsung screen yesterday morning after downloading the ota. I pulled the battery after about 3 hours of waiting. I did some reading through threads here and booted into recovery only to get the issue others have reported. I did some research on XDA and came across the method that poster # 9 described and odined (first time flashing) the ful EH03 release. Worked like a charm and was done flashing in about 5 minutes. Been spending the time since re-setting up my phone (apps, email, etc.). Thanks to all the previous posts here and at XDA I was able to recover last night.

Creepingdeath

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Long time lurker, second time poster...

I had the same issue. OTA downloaded then the phone hung up on the SAMSUNG screen. Verizon wanted to replace it with a refurb or I could pay to upgrade. WTF! Decided to try running Odin and it was very simple to load the TAR file. Got my phone back up and running.

SO... thanks to everyone here and on XDA

My only issue now is rooting it now. Any suggestions? The Rage.bin method doesn't seem to work anymore.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Long time lurker, second time poster...

I had the same issue. OTA downloaded then the phone hung up on the SAMSUNG screen. Verizon wanted to replace it with a refurb or I could pay to upgrade. WTF! Decided to try running Odin and it was very simple to load the TAR file. Got my phone back up and running.

SO... thanks to everyone here and on XDA

My only issue now is rooting it now. Any suggestions? The Rage.bin method doesn't seem to work anymore.

I would suggest downloading and saving to your SD Card one of the GB ROMS that are rooted already, (be sure you use the full ROM, not the patch) like STOCK DEODEXED:

(full tar package/radio)(EH03){odin/heimdall} Verizon 2.3.5 TWGB (cwr ver as well) - xda-developers

or SUPERCLEAN:

(Rom){EH03}[11.30] SuperClean3 V0.5 (12.2 patches for gv dialer + fonts) - xda-developers

Then, use ODIN to load the latest CWM (search here at AC or XDA, I can't find a link right now to the file, sorry)

There is a really good step by step here in post#2 by killahamsammich of how to get CWM on your phone, and then how to boot into that recovery you just loaded, and navigate that recovery to flash the zip file...you just need to find the latest CWM file, the link in his post is dead:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...15309-help-needed-root-fascinate-w-froyo.html

After you successfully ODIN CWM to your phone, boot to the recovery you just loaded (the 3 finger method of holding Volume +, Volume -, and Power keys all together), and flash the full ROM zip file from your SD Card...this will root your phone with the added benefits of a custom GB ROM without the bloat, among other benefits.

Last edited:

snolds

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Saved my ass Lttlwing16, thanks a ton! My wife told me not to bother updating her phone, but I just had to and it locked up like everyone else's here. Odin worked perfectly.

plumblucky

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
quick question, if my phone is stuck on the samsung screen, and I do ODIN this, what all will i lose? i can't get into the phone to back anything up.

Also, how do you do step number 2 if you can't get into the phone?

gavram

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
What a crock. Got the stuck on Samsung screen issue & called Verizon. They said I was 2 months past my warranty so I'd have to ship it to Samsung. Samsung said it would take around a week during which time I wouldn't have a phone. As this is my only means of communication I had to call Verizon again and argue my case for an hour before they agreed to send me a replacement. They acted like I had an old phone and that I had done something to cause the issue.

RDeFilippi

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem trying to upgrade to GB. Mine also got stuck at the Samsung Logo. It bricked it. Went to Verizon, "UR SOL" and I was past the warranty period by one week. Luckily I had extended warranty with Best Buy and I just received a new phone. So, without adding any apps and after saving what was on my SD card and then wiping it, I then slowly upgraded (3x) from Froyo to GB. Not a hitch. So, my guess is that one or more of my apps screwed up the update and thus bricking the phone. Moral of the story: save your apps, files, etc, go back to stock then upgrade.

victimssun

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Bump for relevance. This seems to be happening a lot.

edit, fyi, I've followed the steps from post 9 and they worked great! Lost all app/data, but at least the phones back up and running. Beats dealing with VZW

Last edited:

Lttlwing16

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
If your phone bricks by OTA, all your user data is pretty much cooked anyway. Read the thread I wrote here : http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-rooting-roms-hacks/85675-how-preparing-yourself-wipe-data-factory-reset-clockwork-recovery.html

It addresses some of the stuff. Some rules of thumb:

1. Make sure your contacts are stored on google. Meaning don't add contacts to phone. Add to google.com. That is one of the perks of Google Integration. Google Sync keeps your contacts, calendar and apps (at least which ones you've downloaded) stored in the cloud if you were to lose them.

2. If you lost your apps, when you re-login your google.com account, the market should remember what apps you had downloaded, and will let you re-download them. The in-app data is gone forever, sorry.

3. Root your phone. It takes 2 seconds, and it gives you a lot of ability. Namely the ability to use a good back up app, like My Backup or Titanium Backup root.

4. Figure out how to make a nandroid backup in a custom recovery. This is even better than above method. As it will copy , byte for byte, all your settings, system, and user data. Its the supreme backup and is stored on the sdcard.

You'll need to have ODIN setup with the Drivers etc, and know how to use it.

Charge your phone to 100% before doing this then,

1. Download this file : cwm-recovery-ALL-3-30-FIX.tar

2. Load above file in PDA section of ODIN and flash (if you don't know what that means, you should do some reading first)

3. When complete in ODIN, close ODIN, Unplug from computer, put battery back in, then three finger press to boot to recovery.

4. In recovery use volume down button to navigate to backup/restore and press power button
5. Select backup
6. Let it finish then use the menu soft key to go back to main CWM page and select reboot system now.

There is a carbon copy of what your current setup is if something is goes wrong. If you need to restore it just follow the above process and select restore instead of backup.

For those with issues getting to Download mode:

1. Make sure you have the proper drivers installed.
2. Make sure your using the stock usb cable.
3. Don't use a USB hub, use a USB port in the computer.
4. Make sure the battery is pulled when trying to get to DL mode.

HOpe that helps all!

wmpwi#AC

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the OTA brick problem. 1st Verizon tried to put the whole thing on Samsnug. Mine is 6 months short of a "new every 2 years" and the best Verizon would do for me is to sell me a new phone with an early upgrade and change me a $20 early upgrade fee. Feels a bit like paying someone to punch you in the face. :confused:

This whole issue sounds like a class action waiting to happen.

Grizeg

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem, however my USB support wouldn't work, no flashing for me, new phone over nighted, be here tomorrow.

jar66su

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
so...the OTA update happened while at the doctors office with my 38 week pregnant wife for a routine visit. turns out there were issues and we had to induce labor immediately. literally at this moment my phone decides to freeze on the samsung screen and refuses to turn on. unreal. needed to notify a number of people immediately and my phone decides to crap out at the worst possible moment. just unreal.

this is the 2nd time my phone has done an auto-OTA update. both times my phone has gotten stuck like this (note - my phone has never been rooted). the first time I couldn't get verizon support to give me the time of day. eventually a kiosk guy at the mall reset my phone and got it back to factory settings.

anyway, now 2 days removed from the birth of my beautiful, healthy daughter, I have "time" to try to get my phone issues corrected. do you have any idea how frustrating it has been not being able to call family/friends. anyway, I've taken a look at this thread and really don't have time to go through these steps (I'm still at the hospital for another 2 days). Ideally I'd like to call verizon and have them fedex me a new replacement phone at no cost, but I know how well that worked the last time this happened. I've accepted the fact that most data/settings on my phone is lost - I just want a replacement ASAP and don't want to get bent over by verizon. anyone have a good # to call besides typical stonewall tech support?

phoocu

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
This exact problem happened to me. I called Samsung support and no help. I called Verizon tech support they were clueless and said my phone was trashed with no hope. I used Odin and flashed it back alive. Worked like a charm. All my contacts and info was lost though.:-!