12-23-2011 12:08 AM
44 12
tools
    Tried installing the OTA update EH03 today on my stock phone. It downloaded fine, but while installing it is stuck on the Samsung screen. Suggestions?
    12-01-2011 01:06 PM
    First, I would recommend pulling the battery and rebooting. If a battery pull and reboot don't work, then I would suggest booting into recovery (hold down both volume buttons while holding power, let go after Samsung logo pops up the second time) and do a factory reset. You'll lose all your apps and texts and other data, but if your phone won't boot, it,s as good as lost anyway...
    12-01-2011 01:21 PM
    I am having the same problem and have tried removing the battery twice now. Not sure what I should do.
    12-01-2011 02:55 PM
    First, I would recommend pulling the battery and rebooting. If a battery pull and reboot don't work, then I would suggest booting into recovery (hold down both volume buttons while holding power, let go after Samsung logo pops up the second time) and do a factory reset. You'll lose all your apps and texts and other data, but if your phone won't boot, it,s as good as lost anyway...
    Thanks for the help, but it was a no go. After booting into recovery it then locked up there. Would not scroll up or down to do a factory reset or even reboot.

Verizon is sending me another phone.
    12-01-2011 03:26 PM
    Yeah. I'm stuck on recovery now too.
    12-01-2011 03:32 PM
    Yeah. I'm stuck on recovery now too.
    Volume rockers move and power button selects.

Hold up Volume and power and that will reboot (ctl, alt, del).

If you have an option in recovery that says install update.zip, go to that and select. This will re-install the downloaded GB but should not erase anything.
    12-01-2011 03:37 PM
    Volume rockers move and power button selects.

Hold up Volume and power and that will reboot (ctl, alt, del).

If you have an option in recovery that says install update.zip, go to that and select. This will re-install the downloaded GB but should not erase anything.
    My rockers are non-responsive. They don't change selection. Power button doesn't function either.
    Vol. Up + Power did reboot it though.

Oh, and there's this too:

12-01-2011 03:44 PM
    I decided to flash back to ED01 with Odin and trying OTA update again.

Update: The OTA update worked the second time.
    12-01-2011 04:15 PM
    My rockers are non-responsive. They don't change selection. Power button doesn't function either.
    Vol. Up + Power did reboot it though.

Oh, and there's this too:

Click to view quoted image
    Looks like a bunk download. Just ODIN the full release. That would be your best bet.

Download the full release from here:(full tar package/radio)(EH03){odin/heimdall} Verizon 2.3.5 TWGB (cwr ver as well) - xda-developers

Follow the instructions in post # 2 below, replacing EC09 with EH03 from thread above.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...k-package.html

Good luck
    12-01-2011 05:01 PM
    Can anyone confirm if this worked? Im having the same problem, just went in to verizon and they said there was nothing they could do except order me a new phone. I'd rather not wait that long if I can just do it myself.
    12-01-2011 06:59 PM
    Odin seems to not recognize the device. Nothing pops up in the com port area.
    12-01-2011 07:34 PM
    Tried the OTA update, it downloaded OK, rebooted once and then got stuck at the Samsung screen. I waited over an hour before pulling the battery and got exactly the same screen Discombobulate got. Went to Verizion, they scratched their heads and said "sorry can't fix it and BTW, it is over the warranty period by a week". WTF? Luckily, I bought it from Best Buy and had an extended warranty. They'll be sending me a refurbished model in 5 days and gave me a loaner in the meantime. So much for all the beta-testing they did before pushing out the update!!!
    12-01-2011 08:10 PM
    Lttlwing16 thank you for those links. It was a life saver as my phone also got stuck in the corrupted state after the OTA update. You saved my phone and now I am starting to feel a little more confortable with flashing it.
    12-01-2011 08:20 PM
    Downloaded the update but then it just went back to normal screen. It did not install nor did it even attempt to install. Where did the download go?
    12-01-2011 08:30 PM
    The OTA update from Verizon totally bricked my phone. I just spent an hour with tech support and they think the download must have become corrupted somehow. Like everyone else here, my Fascinate rebooted after the download and stuck on the Samsung screen for about 45 minutes before I decided to call support. Recovery does not work because it cannot find any recovery files. New phone on the way, but it won't be here until Monday. They put my old BB Storm on my account until then. Now if I can just remember where I put the damn thing!!!!!
    12-01-2011 08:42 PM
    Looks like it downloaded again and then read that device runs out of memory, therefore download failed?
    12-01-2011 09:18 PM
    Odin flash worked for me. Big time thanks
    12-01-2011 09:26 PM
    Ah. All working now. USB 3.0 does't agree with somethings I guess. Switched ports and all is well again. Many thanks.
    12-01-2011 11:32 PM
    the instructions on the 1st page worked! thank you guys so much. I was able to fix my wife's phone after vzw told her there was nothing that could be done.
    12-02-2011 12:27 AM
    I was able to fix my wife's phone after vzw told her there was nothing that could be done.
    At least they didn't lie to you. There was nothing they could do, because they're clueless idiots!
    12-02-2011 07:27 AM
    Yeah the local rep told me nothing could be done, ended up using an upgrade to get two free Pantech Breakout phones. Then I come home and find Lttlwing16 fixed all my problems with post #9. Thanks again.

Damn you Verizon!
    12-02-2011 10:56 AM
    I too had my phone stuck at Samsung screen yesterday morning after downloading the ota. I pulled the battery after about 3 hours of waiting. I did some reading through threads here and booted into recovery only to get the issue others have reported. I did some research on XDA and came across the method that poster # 9 described and odined (first time flashing) the ful EH03 release. Worked like a charm and was done flashing in about 5 minutes. Been spending the time since re-setting up my phone (apps, email, etc.). Thanks to all the previous posts here and at XDA I was able to recover last night.
    12-02-2011 01:58 PM
    Long time lurker, second time poster...

I had the same issue. OTA downloaded then the phone hung up on the SAMSUNG screen. Verizon wanted to replace it with a refurb or I could pay to upgrade. WTF! Decided to try running Odin and it was very simple to load the TAR file. Got my phone back up and running.

SO... thanks to everyone here and on XDA

My only issue now is rooting it now. Any suggestions? The Rage.bin method doesn't seem to work anymore.
    12-02-2011 04:57 PM
    Long time lurker, second time poster...

I had the same issue. OTA downloaded then the phone hung up on the SAMSUNG screen. Verizon wanted to replace it with a refurb or I could pay to upgrade. WTF! Decided to try running Odin and it was very simple to load the TAR file. Got my phone back up and running.

SO... thanks to everyone here and on XDA

My only issue now is rooting it now. Any suggestions? The Rage.bin method doesn't seem to work anymore.
    I would suggest downloading and saving to your SD Card one of the GB ROMS that are rooted already, (be sure you use the full ROM, not the patch) like STOCK DEODEXED:

(full tar package/radio)(EH03){odin/heimdall} Verizon 2.3.5 TWGB (cwr ver as well) - xda-developers

or SUPERCLEAN:

(Rom){EH03}[11.30] SuperClean3 V0.5 (12.2 patches for gv dialer + fonts) - xda-developers

Then, use ODIN to load the latest CWM (search here at AC or XDA, I can't find a link right now to the file, sorry)

There is a really good step by step here in post#2 by killahamsammich of how to get CWM on your phone, and then how to boot into that recovery you just loaded, and navigate that recovery to flash the zip file...you just need to find the latest CWM file, the link in his post is dead:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...e-w-froyo.html

After you successfully ODIN CWM to your phone, boot to the recovery you just loaded (the 3 finger method of holding Volume +, Volume -, and Power keys all together), and flash the full ROM zip file from your SD Card...this will root your phone with the added benefits of a custom GB ROM without the bloat, among other benefits.
    Hook33 and Creepingdeath like this.
    12-02-2011 08:10 PM
    Saved my *** Lttlwing16, thanks a ton! My wife told me not to bother updating her phone, but I just had to and it locked up like everyone else's here. Odin worked perfectly.
    12-03-2011 01:22 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD