Constantly reboots since GB update

Xrayeyes

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't decide what to do. My phone has been an incredible pain in the a** since I got the GB update. I did notice that, once I could get to it (sometimes 45-60 minutes), if I forced closed my LauncherPro, it seemed OK until the next day. So, I uninstalled it and installed Go Launcher EX and had the same problem. So uninstalled that and running now w/o any launcher (ugh) and it still reboots, but they take less time to happen. I don't know if a reset is called for, or something else. I am not sure if I want to try to root my phone, haven't been having the greatest luck lately and don't want to brick it. I may consider it if I can find REALLY GOOD directions and stable software.
Thanks for the advice

octacolover

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Same issue. For the most part the GB update has been great for me, but the last week or so it's been restarting itself at least once a day (not to mention that things have been locking up forcing a bat pull once a day as well). I'm on stock using Go Launcher.
Desperately want to root but cannot afford to buy a new phone if I brick my fassy.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

texaskj07

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I felt the same way when I first wanted to root mine. If you follow the instructions to a tee then you should have no problems. These Samsung phones are almost unbrickable. Just make sure what ever you flash with Odin is in the pea section not the phone. This is the biggest deal I have found.

octacolover

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Rooted my fassy the other day and flashed CM7. So far no more reboot issues! Should have done this a long time ago.

jmcksoze2

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I know the feeling about worrying that you'll brick your phone. I took it a step at a time....rooting...waiting a while....custom ROM.....waiting...etc. I was also having issues after the Verizon OTA. Along with rebooting or just cutting off completely, it would not reboot unless plugged into the charger or computer. Now I'm running Superclean3, EC09 radio, and the KGB kernel. I love this thing again!

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I flashed the official Stock GB ROM since my phone wouldn't do OTA successfully.
It worked fairly well, but one day I had one reboot after the other - most of the time it would reboot into a black screen forcing me to reboot again.
It would do that if I plugged in a portable charger that runs on a battery itself which used to work great. It would reboot when I typed an email or played certain games. Once it rebooted while it was still scanning my SD card. About 6 automatic reboots in 3 hours (not counting the 4 or 5 I did manually).

Still not sure what the issue is or was - haven't had a reboot since then (2 days ago).
But I used Titanium Backup to freeze a few services I don't use (all SNS and DRM services that according to my research have to do mostly with Facebook and Media Hub, both of which I don't ever intend to use) because it seemed like I had less RAM available these days. So far so good...
I also might have too much junk on my SD card (maybe I have an obscure video format that the media scanner doesn't like), so I'll clean that out soon.

Maybe some day I'll go searching for a debloated stock-like GB...

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe some day I'll go searching for a debloated stock-like GB...

You have several GB/EH03 ROM options to choose from now over at XDA. GB Stock Deodexed,
Superclean, GeeWiz, TSM Resurrection...I would recommend any of them, depending on how far from stock you want to go.

semmelbroesel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Not to hijack this thread, let's just say that I think I have read enough about how hard to brick this phone is that I feel more confident that I can do this :) One day when I have too much time on my hands (yea, right...) I'll see if I can find some comparison charts between the different ROMs and try some out. Frankly, I don't think it matters how far away from stock I go - my "warranty" is lost either way *g* I haven't had much luck in getting questions answered at XDDA (they seem to prefer the hard core people to the newbies), but I know how to search :)

To return to the original topic:
Is there any kind of log that might be able to say why the phone rebooted like that?
I found a log reading app, but the logs update multiple times a second and are kinda hard to read - any particular log I need to find that might have that information (if it happens again)?

anon(240118)

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can download a stock ROM? Just want to start over from the beginning - I think all of the OTAs have mucked up the ROM over time. I started at 2.1 when the phone came out and have had every OTA since, never rooted or flashed any custom roms. If going back to a full stock ROM doesn't work, I may consider a custom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon