Fascinate Headache

jmugg68

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Have had a Fascinate since May 2011. Rooted it right after I got it Froyo DI01 completely stock. Only rooted for wireless tether. About November 2011 I couldn't connect it to my computer to transfer stuff to and from SD card. December 2011 it started randomly crashing every other day. So I went into recovery and selected wipe data/factory reset thinking it would put me back to square one and I could re-root. Well here is the problem. The usb on the device is malfunctioning and I can't connect it to reflash. No big deal I just got Verizon to send me a replacement device due to it's a known defect with them (as they say). Problem being Superuser is still installed on the device with stock recovery. Can't seem to figure out how to remove it. Any advise on how I can accomplish this before I send the device back? Thanks for any input in advance.

Edit: I updated it through OTA to 2.3.5 and su is still there. Recovery is in blue <a3>

Last edited:

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset doesn't unroot the devise once rooted. Download titanium backup and freeze su. send it back. 99.9% chance that nobody will look at your phone for root when it gets returned....especially as old as the fassy is in the phone world. Those in the return dept have no idea how to check for root let alone know what su is. You'll be fine even if you just send it back as is.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If it were me, I'd just flash back to stock. You can find all the files and instructions HERE.

For your needs I'd start on step 3 and stop after step 6.

jmugg68

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I read it as he couldn't connect using USB so flashing back to stock wasn't an option.

That is correct. I could not flash back to stock due to the fact the USB port on the device would only charge. I reset back to factory, checked through terminal app and phone was not rooted, but the SU app was still in the Apps list (could not uninstall SU )

I sent the phone back and got a confirmation from Big Red they received it. As far as I know they must have just checked the USB port and that is all due to the fact they didn't say anything about the SU App. What I can't figure out is, I have reset the device back to factory before using recovery (CM3 I believe) and all was back to stock with root, SU and Busybox (all of which Were put in when I rooted the first time). This time after recovery it went back to stock and had stock recovery with no root, running 2.2 update. Soon after boot up the OTA for 2.3.5 was pushed to phone. Once again SU is still there. Strange stuff. LOL.
Oh well new device is here and rooted 5 minutes after opening the box. All is right in my Fascinate world.
Thanks again for the input.