My phone bricked itself! Can it be saved?

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
My Fascinate was a good phone for 15 months. A month or so ago VZ forced the latest update. It was fine for a while but over time it started freezing and/or rebooting itself more and more often. Friday it froze, I pulled the battery out and that was it.

When I turned it on instead of the boot sequence I get a black screen with red, yellow and blue writing saying the phone was in manual mode. The up/down volume button does nothing. The on/off button does nothing. Down volume + off does nothing. Only the "home" button takes you to a screen that shows a sad android robot standing next to a triangle with an exclamation point. Nothing happens there either. If you press the home button again it goes back to the black screen with the colorfull text. You can toggle back and forth but nothing else.

Took it to a VZ store. A salesperson (no tech available) said it was toast, and it probably is. But I was wondering if there is an extreme measure that can be tried. If it's a software issue then new software ought to fix it, right? Can I get a new ROM using ODIN installed even with the phone in this state? Just an FYI: I have not recently installed any apps or hacks in this phone.

PromoTheRobot

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just restored GB and the phone works fine. Like nothing happened. Restore was smooth as silk. Thank you so much.

Last edited: