Why did Verizon remove Google & Replace it with Bing?!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I think it may come quickly just need to look up the gs root method and see if it applies would love to have cm6 on this

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
And the argument goes both ways. The whole thing is. You can get maps any day if the week Google search is different. As far as I know the Apk's for it must be installed in the system/app folder
No way to get them their without root. Would be nice if it came preloaded. With both

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't have to root your open source device to choose your search provider.

Sure, but there are a lot of things you shouldn't have to do to complete a task, but in some instances the device fits your need and if your willing to hack then you can make things happen exactly the way you like.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well reading another board someone who has tested the device says you can easily switch back to Google. Good thing in my mind

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well reading another board someone who has tested the device says you can easily switch back to Google. Good thing in my mind

Yes that is GREAT news. Can you provide a link? Also, making Google the DEFAULT easily is the question. I don't think there is any question that we can use Google search , Nav , or maps .. Thanks!!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Bing isn't as bad as everyone seems to make
them seem. I don't use Bing, but when I
have, it did a good job. Not as good, but
worked good enough.

I think it would be great if they had several
options (including Bing and Google), but I'm
sure if users had the option, they would
choose Google off the bat.

Your my boy blue

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Bing isn't as bad as everyone seems to make
them seem. I don't use Bing, but when I
have, it did a good job. Not as good, but
worked good enough.

I think it would be great if they had several
options (including Bing and Google), but I'm
sure if users had the option, they would
choose Google off the bat.

Agreed, Bing isn't terrible I've been trying it out and I've been pleasantly surprised. I don't think its as bad as everyone makes it out to be, because its not Google. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

CR4V3

Neighborhood IT Pro
Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Sure, but there are a lot of things you shouldn't have to do to complete a task, but in some instances the device fits your need and if your willing to hack then you can make things happen exactly the way you like.

I agree, there are plenty of instances where you have to go off the beaten path to get something accomplished.

That said, Verizon has caught flack before from the BlackBerry community for their partnership with Bing. You want to offer it as a choice, fine, but I better damn well be able to choose. Don't just change my default because you're receiving a nice injection of cash.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree, there are plenty of instances where you have to go off the beaten path to get something accomplished.

That said, Verizon has caught flack before from the BlackBerry community for their partnership with Bing. You want to offer it as a choice, fine, but I better damn well be able to choose. Don't just change my default because you're receiving a nice injection of cash.

I also agree that life would be simpler without Bing.

I find Bing to be pathetic because they actually have to advertise to get people to use it. Google spends zero dollars on tv advertising, except for one rare superbowl commercial.

Either way I can't complain, I played with the Vibrant and I'm a fan of the Galaxy S line. The fact it is rootable just makes it a highly capable device.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
While I'd rather have Google as the default search, I find myself going to google.com in the browser to do all my searches now anyway. So unless they block google.com (and I know they won't), it won't affect me.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
While I'd rather have Google as the default search, I find myself going to google.com in the browser to do all my searches now anyway. So unless they block google.com (and I know they won't), it won't affect me.

That, friends, would be ridiculous.

I don't have any worries of whether you'll be able to change the default search/maps back to Google, but it's still kind of annoying that they would do this in the first place. I have a folder on my BB Storm called "Verizon Junk" which I hide and store all of the bloatware in there, and Bing showed up a while ago. I feel like I'm being told I should like Bing, rather than being convinced with concrete evidence. Similarly, I feel the same way about The Killers.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
How do you switch the Fascinate to Google search from Bing search

Rut ro, Raggy.

Our official Samsung Fascinate review is coming, folks, but indeed, Bing is the default search engine on the Fascinate, and people are having a hard time changing it. A cookie to anyone with the answer.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
1. What's odd is the apk for Google Search appears to be in the Fascinates system dump but isn't showing up in the app drawer. I'm wondering if you could go to the applications list, in settings, and do a "clear defaults" for the Bing app. Maybe, just maybe, the next time you press down on the search button, you will be prompted to choose between Google and Bing.

2. Google Search also shows up in the Market on the Droid X, but I'm hearing that you can't find it with the Fascinate, and I couldn't find it with the Epic either. There's an app in the market called "My Market" that allows you too see programs that are exclusive to other carriers. I'd be currious if this app showed Google Search.

Other than those 2 ideas, I'm stumped until we get root.

idkmybffjill

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Other than those 2 ideas, I'm stumped until we get root.

Between the Bing shenanigans, bloatware, charge for 3g hotspot, and touchwiz I feel like I won't really have the phone I want until I can root it. I'll probably still order it tomorrow. The other Galaxy S phones got rooted quickly from what I remember. Hopefully we'll see a root by this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome