02-22-2011 12:08 AM
215 123 ...
tools
    Wow, just wow. MS on a Google phone. Now I have seen everything. Thanks but no thanks. Hopefully there is a fast root for those that get this phone...
    06-30-2010 07:31 AM
    I agree. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they chose Bing over the far superior Google search, maps, and Nav. Plus all the other Verizon bloatware on top of that :/
    06-30-2010 10:40 AM
    This is a deal breaker for me. I will not even consider getting this phone with Bing on it unless I can somehow change the default.
    06-30-2010 06:35 PM
    Cant it be changed back to google in some settings?
    06-30-2010 10:57 PM
    it has to be simple to switch back. maybe you cant remove it without root, but i am sure the google maps and all that are still there and can be added, etc.
    06-30-2010 11:23 PM
    Did a little research here are some details on the whole BING fiasco...
    As Verizon Implements Bing Default Search Deal, Company Sees User Backlash

BTW I used Google to find this info!
    07-01-2010 02:34 PM
    Motorola Backflip - platinum silver (AT&T) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Read paragraph 5

I know its not the same phone or same company but what's stopping Verizon from doing the same thing?

If Bing cannot be removed and/or replaced by Google to become the DEFAULT I will not be getting this phone!
    07-01-2010 03:36 PM
    Motorola Backflip - platinum silver (AT&T) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Read paragraph 5

I know its not the same phone or same company but what's stopping Verizon from doing the same thing?

If Bing cannot be removed and/or replaced by Google to become the DEFAULT I will not be getting this phone!
    I know that's my fear....it's not a deal breaker for me, Bing isn't horrible but it's no Google as we all know.
    07-01-2010 03:54 PM
    Wow, I had been curious about this phone even though I have already settled on getting the X, but thought maybe it would be worth the wait. Found out about Bing and yep no go. I will stick with getting the X. I think BING is a horrible search engine and cannot believe Verizon would even let them have it on there!!
    07-05-2010 04:28 PM
    I can't even find any YouTube or Google results for Bing on Android. I feel like they are going to use us as lab rats to test the initial release of this technology.
    07-05-2010 06:02 PM
    Wow, I had been curious about this phone even though I have already settled on getting the X, but thought maybe it would be worth the wait. Found out about Bing and yep no go. I will stick with getting the X. I think BING is a horrible search engine and cannot believe Verizon would even let them have it on there!!
    I am confused - if you don't like Bing, why not just use Google?
    07-05-2010 10:52 PM
    I am confused - if you don't like Bing, why not just use Google?
    For me the big question mark is whether we will get the full Google experience by just downloading the Maps application from the market or will we be missing certain things. For example, right now on the Incredible, I have the Google Navigation app (which is separate from the Maps app) that allows me to speak, type, or access a destination via contacts or starred items. I also get turn by turn directions and voice navigation. The address field in contacts and calendar appointments is automatically linked to Google maps. I'm worried that simply installing the Maps app from the Market will not make all of this work the way it does today. Hopefully we will get our hands on a pre-release unit soon, so we can understand this better.
    07-05-2010 11:06 PM
    For me the big question mark is whether we will get the full Google experience by just downloading the Maps application from the market or will we be missing certain things. For example, right now on the Incredible, I have the Google Navigation app (which is separate from the Maps app) that allows me to speak, type, or access a destination via contacts or starred items. I also get turn by turn directions and voice navigation. The address field in contacts and calendar appointments is automatically linked to Google maps. I'm worried that simply installing the Maps app from the Market will not make all of this work the way it does today. Hopefully we will get our hands on a pre-release unit soon, so we can understand this better.
    Amen. I feel the same way exactly.
    07-08-2010 11:57 AM
    I'm waiting until late August when I can get an extra $100 off whatever Android phone I choose to make up my mind between the Droid X and the Fascinate.

I figure after the Fascinate is released I'm just gonna go down to the Verizon store and check it out. If I can change the search and maps (and Navigation!) back to Google on their phone, then it won't be an issue for me.

On the other hand, if the Fascinate is rooted rather quickly and easily, then that will be a huge plus in it's favor. The Droid X has some hurdles to cover in that arena from what I understand.
    07-10-2010 11:09 PM
    Navigation icon comes with Google maps. I think they started that two updates ago .
    And the question is if vzw locks down agps to only vz navigator. If agps isn't locked down maps and navigation should function just like any phone now Google search is a different question all together I have to see if its installable from the market or can you side load it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    07-11-2010 01:19 AM
    Gs has already been rooted. I'm getting the facinate
    07-11-2010 01:25 PM
    Navigation icon comes with Google maps. I think they started that two updates ago .
    And the question is if vzw locks down agps to only vz navigator. If agps isn't locked down maps and navigation should function just like any phone now Google search is a different question all together I have to see if its installable from the market or can you side load it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    AGPS is not going to be locked down.

The ACTUAL question is if you can make these Google services THE DEFAULT. Most people understand that Google Maps will be on the phone, or can be downloaded with Navigation. But we all want Google Nav and Google search to be defaults when clicking an address, or hitting the "Search" key on the phone. In neither instance to I want Bing.
    07-11-2010 07:38 PM
    Gs has already been rooted.

Who cares if Bing is default. Root and customize to your liking.
    07-11-2010 09:51 PM
    Gs has already been rooted.

Who cares if Bing is default. Root and customize to your liking.
    I'm not gonna get into rooting. I just want to be sure I can, in a standard way, on an open Google platform, make my choice of search and navigation defaults be Google. Probably can, we will see.
    07-11-2010 11:29 PM
    Well looking at Google maps it shows clear defaults but I don't know hopefully you can set Google as default. But seeing the euro version is already rooted that gives me hope for this. Just hope the same method works with this phone
    07-11-2010 11:59 PM
    I don't have any doubts that this thing will be rooted. In due time.
    07-12-2010 12:02 AM
    I think it may come quickly just need to look up the gs root method and see if it applies would love to have cm6 on this
    07-12-2010 12:04 AM
    I don't have any doubts that this thing will be rooted. In due time.
    You shouldn't have to root your open source device to choose your search provider.
    07-12-2010 08:44 PM
    And the argument goes both ways. The whole thing is. You can get maps any day if the week Google search is different. As far as I know the Apk's for it must be installed in the system/app folder
    No way to get them their without root. Would be nice if it came preloaded. With both
    07-12-2010 09:11 PM
    You shouldn't have to root your open source device to choose your search provider.
    Amen.
    07-12-2010 10:25 PM
215 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD