New Android user, X or Fascinate?

superaj

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been a blackberry user for many years and currently have a Storm 2. I am dissappointed in what RIM has been doing lately and will be moving to Android ASAP. I am eligable for an upgrade and am holding out for the Fascinate but I am also looking at the Droid X. Any suggestions for a new Android user?

Redbird1

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Since you've never had an android device, you should spend LOTS of time testing each unit. You may hate the X's physical size, or the memory configuration of the Fascinate.

Right now, I am leaning towards the fascinate, but that could change tomorrow. I won't know for sure until the Fascinate actually comes out and I get a chance to play around with it.

In the end, you'll be happy with your decision.

superaj

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you guys for your help. I am very new to the forum and am still learning how it works as I am trying to learn as much about the Androids as I can.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Samsung probably wins on form factor and its super AMOLED screen though there have been reports of problems with colors. DROID X: bigger screen, better battery life and probably faster processing..and 8mp camera with double LED flash as opposed to Fascinate's 5mp camera. Overall, DX seems better but I am going for Fascinate as my pick! For the first time in my life I am getting my impulsive side get the better of me and get my hands on a device on the first day of its retail launch.

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Same here, I plan on being at my local vzw store when they open to pick me up some fascinate goodness :)

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay, having said that I would be in line on the first day of Fascinate launch there is one thing that has been bugging me.
Since we all know that unlike the Droids this one will have Bing integration as opposed to google, will Fascinate still have instant Gmail push notification? If not, it will unfortunately be the real dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:

Archerdude

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay, having said that I would be in line on the first day of Fascinate launch there is one thing that has been bugging me.
Since we all know that unlike the Droids this one will have Bing integration as opposed to google, will Fascinate still have instant Gmail push notification? If not, it will unfortunately be the real dealbreaker for me.

I feel your pain on this one. Not that i dislike bing(never use it), but i really like what google has done for us.

jrkrace

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good question. I'm near the end of my 30 day trial of my Incredible and the Samsung looks enticing. I also like the fact that it may be a buy one get one free deal when it launches and my wife was hinting at a new phone.

But if Google mail isn't instant, then I'm out....

Archerdude

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at the dump for this phone and i see google maps and google talk. Maybe a good sign. Just found google search in the dump files. Not sure if the means anything.

Last edited:

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes you will get gmail notifications and you can hide bing or when we root it :) remove it. You can install google maps and every other google product except for gmail because gmail is absolutely needed for market access.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Ill say this both will be great phones google search and maps can be installed from the market.and gmail will function as always the question is do you want a 4 inch screen or 4.3 the processors are close a far a speed thought the hummingbird has a much better gpu. Mp mean nothing samsung's camera software is very good. So at the end of the day it comes down to screen size good luck

rmaybach

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I am waiting until later this week and will compare both side by side in the store. I'm really curious to learn the real deal with the bing/google stuff on the Fascinate.

Magic Rat#WN

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is in bed with Microsoft re: Bing. They've been pushing Bing on a lot of their phones where possible. I had a Blackberry 9650 before getting DroidX and they pushed Bing to the device. It's really too bad. Hoping they don't try forcing me to use it on my DX (love it!!).

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Um, every single thread has ended up talking about Bing. I think we need to move on from that or consolidate these discussions into one thread ;)

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
^^ but why we all hate bing? jk but looking at the video bing doesnt look that bad as long as i have google maps im cool and maybe places

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
I've had the Storm, Storm 2, Droid, and now have the Incredible. When I tried the Droid X, I quickly became aggravated at how inaccurate the screen is. I would try to tap a link on a website and find that the phone thought I tapped the one next to it. Then when I tried to play Carrom 3D (a billiards game) on the X, I noticed that when aiming, as soon as I took my finger off the screen, the aim would shift a little.

Maybe my fingers are too big or the screen is that inaccurate, but I never have that problem with the Incredible. I can even tap the tiniest of links (like forum page numbers) without zooming the page. This is all without any screen or keyboard calibration (the latter found in the Incredible's keyboard settings; don't know if the former exists).

There are other things I liked and disliked about the X. Dislikes were mostly the screen's accuracy and it wasn't LED (I'm spoiled there), but I did like the size of the screen and how easy it was to type in portrait mode - something I have trouble with on the Incredible.

I'm hoping the Fascinate will be the best of both the Droid X and the Incredible, and then some.

You really should go into a store and compare both models yourself to see which one is best for you. In the end, everyone's personal tastes are different. Then again, there is always the 30-day "trial" period. If you don't like one, return it for the other within 30 days.

Synergi#AC

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the Epic, which I'm sadly returning to Radio Shack today because of poor reception. I tested the Droid x for about a week and I have a Fascinate coming today. I really liked the Droid X a lot. However, it has a really crappy screen. The text also isn't as crisp on it as it is on the fascinate. So even though the screen is a touch smaller, its easier to read.

Honestly to me the Samsung screen ruins my like of other phones. Its drool worthy its so good. It makes everything else just look bad besides the iPhone screen. I believe Droid X just has a LCD, with shifting colors when you hold it at different angles. Samsung has 180 degrees viewing angles.

Only one I haven't tested is Droid 2. I really want a keyboard, hard to wrap my head around a screen smaller then 4'' now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22