how do you set a ringtone for a contact?

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
contact needs to be a local contact and not a google contact.

Same issue with the Samsung Captivate. Why I dont like touchwiz..interface is ok but they screw up contacts.

tjefferson3

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
contact ringtones

So how do you change your google contacts to phone contacts, or do you have to re-enter your contacts manually and save them as phone contacts?...I thought I could sync my google contacts on verizon's backup assistance web page...didn't work...but I did see a link on the back up assistance page for importing contacts...does anyone know how to import google contacts into back up assistance?

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
export from gmail contacts to outlook csv file.

Then go into veizon BA and import the csv file.

Have not done myself but this seems like the logical method.

smoke5643

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
You can also create a new "Phone Contact" with the same name and number and link it to the "Google Contact". Then you can set a custom ringtone for the new one and it will update all other linked to that contact.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
So when your google contacts import into the phone, you won't be able to set up a custom ringtone without doing the above?

spencer500

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
One additional thing. Once you copy the Google contact to the Phone contact and setup the ringtone, you can then delete the phone contact, the ringtone will stay associated to the Google contact. Stumbled across that accidentally when I deleted a phone contact for my wife...but the custom ring tone remained.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I can set default ringtones for my Google contacts? Maybe I'm not following..

I go to the contact (in this case there isn't even a phone number), choose the menu button, Edit -> Ringtone -> Set Ringtone.

tjefferson3

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Brandon I followed what you did, and I don't see an option to add/change a ringtone for a Google Contact...what am I missing??? Does it matter if the phone is rooted or not?

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have put the ringer situation on the back burner but after looking at it tonight, I can't figure it out either. I don't see anything in my contacts edit to allow for a ringtone. It is odd though as I have a touchdown tab and 2 google tabs for some contacts.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The way I do it is to go to "My Files" from the apps drawer. Select the ringtone. Tap the "Menu" icon (far left icon), and choose "Set As". It brings up three choices, "Voice call ringtone", "Caller ringtone", and "Alarm tone". I choose "Caller ringtone", and it opens up my contact list. I pick my contact, and then click "Save".

I can also just click on a contact, choose "Edit", scroll down and select "Ringtone". I choose "Phone ringtone", and then it opens a list of ringtones available; which includes my customs.

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The way I do it is to go to "My Files" from the apps drawer. Select the ringtone. Tap the "Menu" icon (far left icon), and choose "Set As". It brings up three choices, "Voice call ringtone", "Caller ringtone", and "Alarm tone". I choose "Caller ringtone", and it opens up my contact list. I pick my contact, and then click "Save".

I can also just click on a contact, choose "Edit", scroll down and select "Ringtone". I choose "Phone ringtone", and then it opens a list of ringtones available; which includes my customs.

Ok, does this apply for notifications though? (i.e. text messages, etc.)

thanks

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
What I ended up doing was just creating a separate phone contact for those that I wanted ringtones for. Was easier than re-doing everything.

josue

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
What I ended up doing was just creating a separate phone contact for those that I wanted ringtones for. Was easier than re-doing everything.

This is what I did too...

After doing this...

when I hit caller ringtone, it wouldn't open my contact list? It looked like the contact list when I 1st got the phone, it was just like #BAL, #DATA, #PMT, etc.???

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
when I hit caller ringtone, it wouldn't open my contact list? It looked like the contact list when I 1st got the phone, it was just like #BAL, #DATA, #PMT, etc.???

Here's what I currently understand...

The phone currently supports setting "per-Caller" ringtones for contacts which exist wholly within the Phone's internal contact book. This means that if you have synchronized your contacts via a Google Gmail account, there is no direct way to assign a ringtone to those contacts.

If you play a ringtone, then hit menu, then "Set As", Caller Ringtone, the list of Contacts you see are ONLY the contacts which exist in "My Phone". (This seems to be a severe oversight by Samsung, and would hopefully be resolved with the 2.2 update).

The solution discussed above is to go into Contacts -> Create Contact -> Save Contact to .. Phone: Then enter the First/Last name of the person you want to assign per-User ringtone, then Save (you do not need to input phone numbers or any other information). If you use the same exact name, it should auto-link it to the same contact you have in Gmail Contacts. From this point, when you hit Edit on the contact, you should have two tabs at the top.. Click on the "Phone" tab, and then scroll down to the Ringtone field.

Note: Alternatively, you can do the Link first, then go back to the Music Player, find your Ringtone, then Set As, then Caller Ringtone, and that person should now show up on the list (below the default #BAL/etc)

SMS Ringtones per-user do not appear to be a built-in function of the phone at all. You can set a single SMS ringtone, but not per user (no matter where the contact resides)

I'm currently trying to get RingoPro working on my phone. I seem to be having a problem where Ringo Pro enters a state that it is no longer able to "preview" ringtones, and due to this, causes any assignments of ringtones to show as "Unknown Tone". I've already been in communication with the RingoPro support team who've been VERY helpful so far. At the current time, I'm collecting data for them and should expect some initial responses for the data later in the week.

Once I get to the point that I can consistently and reliably assign Caller AND SMS ringtones via RingoPro, I'll post the instructions and requirements here so that others can benefit. But, at the moment, the experience via this app is not ideal, and doesn't provide a fool-proof plan.

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
SMS Ringtones per-user do not appear to be a built-in function of the phone at all. You can set a single SMS ringtone, but not per user (no matter where the contact resides)

This is my problem, hopefully this will be fixed when Android 2.2 rolls out. Doesn't really make any sense not to have this option.

Thanks for the info.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Handcent has individual ringtone options for SMS. I don't think Froyo changes this but I have used Handcent for almost the whole time owning my D1 and Fascinate. I had Froyo on the D1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21