Voice Quality

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
For those of you complaining about this, have to tried lowering the volume slightly as Ivisi and Storm6610 have suggested?

My phone is having this issue aswell it is seldom and I agree lowering the volume does fix it right away. Although this is kind of a pain in my ***, because I have crap hearing, I have decided to make the long hated transition to using a bluetooth. Not only correct the issue but to make it easier to talk and drive. Also I do remember reading something in the vibrant or captivate forums over the past few months that they had a mic issue as well but I do not know if it was fixed.

jessie02

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Please call Verizon if your having this problem

Just got back from Verizon, and of course they weren't able to duplicate the problem. I figured as I was in my 30 day exchange window I could just exchange it for a new one by eating the $35 re-stocking fee, but I was told no. They said that was only possible if I switched to a completely new type of device. Well I want the fascinate so I guess i'll hold onto it until Verizon realizes its might be a hardware/software problem. The manager also said that if a technical service bulletin is released then they could have just done the exchange without me having to pay the re-stocking fee.

For everyone else who is having this problem, please call into Verizon so that they no its a problem and hopefully address it.......

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from Verizon, and of course they weren't able to duplicate the problem. I figured as I was in my 30 day exchange window I could just exchange it for a new one by eating the $35 re-stocking fee, but I was told no. They said that was only possible if I switched to a completely new type of device. Well I want the fascinate so I guess i'll hold onto it until Verizon realizes its might be a hardware/software problem. The manager also said that if a technical service bulletin is released then they could have just done the exchange without me having to pay the re-stocking fee.

For everyone else who is having this problem, please call into Verizon so that they no its a problem and hopefully address it.......

I do not believe that an exchange will fix the problem, I am sorry your verizon reps didn't want to do their job but call this number they will exchange your devices just tell them its stuck in a boot loop or that ou are having problems hearing people. 1.866.406.5154

jessie02

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I do not believe that an exchange will fix the problem, I am sorry your verizon reps didn't want to do their job but call this number they will exchange your devices just tell them its stuck in a boot loop or that ou are having problems hearing people. 1.866.406.5154

I have to say I agree with you on the exchange, a new one will probably do the same.... The phone's only 4 days old so i'll just make sure I stay within my 30 day window and see if Verizon comes up with something....

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Since I started the initial thread and talked to VZW I figured I will update my status.
Reading through all the posts, I think the phone is more sensitive than some others.
Me turning down the volume by a small percentage seemed to fix it right off the bat but then I can still hear it a little.

With that said, I called VZW (the lady who was so nice before gave me her email so I emailed her and she called me) Since I spoke with her last, and I was only the 2nd person to call in with a Fascinate, she didn't have too much exp on the subject.

She said since that time she has had a couple more people call in and this was an issue. She said she spoke with her Supervisor about it has been reported to Samsung as an issue. From what she has heard it is software in regards to the volume and will be addressed maybe in a future update.

Now...like most of you who read this, I take it all with a grain of salt...but I imagine if it is an issue, that Samsung probably/hopefully is aware of it and u will see it tweaked in a future update.

I will also say, that this feedback we hear seems to lesson or almost diminish depending where I am and how good my signal is...

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure the DINC got a sw update after a month or so that corrected some voice issues. I just connected mine to VZ and called my home answering machine on both the DINC and the FASC. The FASC is really tinny. Does not compare in voice quality to the INC. The speaker phone is the same. Way tinny on the FASC. Sounds like the voice is undersampled to save bandwidth too.

I am guessing they will get enough complaints to push a sw fix. At least I hope so!

Skyeclad

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
New fascinate owner here and I agree with the posts here. The voice sounds tinny and it almost vibrates as you speak with the volume up. Kind of reminds me of a kazoo. I might go to a store to see if another model had the same problems.

I will say that it gets better when you lower the volume but it doesn't go away entirely.

jwiner

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
So, I suffered from this problem pretty bad. I called VZW technical support. The lady asked how many bars I had, I told her "2". She said I should have 3 or 4 and that she saw that i was roaming - i shouldn't be. She told me to dial *228, option 2, to update the phone.

I was very skeptical, but I think it actually helped... I need to get in the car and make a phone call as it seems to pick up that ambiant noise way too much, but this is worth a shot. Anyone else have luck with this?

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like Samsung / Verizon may need to tweak the gains on their audio drivers. I'm guessing they may actually be too high and are clipping producing the tinny, staticy sounds. It's quite difficult to balance, gain, range, and audio quality in an amplifier.

Many phones have had their audio paths tweaked in software post release. Just remember when you modify a global audio gain you then need to tweak the gain for calls vs. ringtones vs. notifications, etc... otherwise they could fix one and "break" another. It takes hours and hours of testing to get all the audio gains "just right".

Martian

mgmtm3

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Ugh. I REALLY want to like this phone. It has a ton of pros to it but the cons are just killing the experience. Coming from the D1 it really gives you a wow factor until you use the phone. I can hear my own voice echo back at me and the ear piece is nothing close to the D1. Then we get to the speaker phone...distorted and tinny, so much so it hurts my ears. Turning down the sound doesn't help because then I can hardly hear whats being said. In comparison the D1 sounded great in both areas. If that wasn't enough the Navigation is a joke, there is no way you can hear the navigation directions from Google Nav. A nice looking screen and fast GPU only goes so far...

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site

Try going to a different Verizon store. They allowed me to switch it for another Fascinate with no restocking fee after the salesperson listened to my phone. I really like the phone but there are A LOT of bugs (alarm still went off this AM even though I had turned it off 30 mins earlier).

jessie02

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Try going to a different Verizon store. They allowed me to switch it for another Fascinate with no restocking fee after the salesperson listened to my phone. I really like the phone but there are A LOT of bugs (alarm still went off this AM even though I had turned it off 30 mins earlier).

So does the new one sound better? I'm afraid the second one will have the same problem.