usb connection

mike_a

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello -

The fascinate is my first android phone (previously a iphone user). I'm having trouble connecting my phone to my computer via usb. I have my usb settings set to "mass storage" on my phone. When I plug my phone into my computer, an E drive appears. However, when I click on the drive I get an error "Please insert a disk into removable disk (E:)". I'm assuming I do not have the correct drivers installed on my computer (windows 7). Verizon help told me I should of received a CDROM disk with my phone with the drivers. Did anyone else get such disks? Any other suggestions?

Apologies if this question has already been asked. I could find the answer in the forums. Thanks in advance, -mike.

DamnRock

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Pull the notification bar down and you should see an option to mount the drive. Once you do that, you should be able to click on the drive on your PC and get into the files.

Also, I had to turn OFF USB debugging on the phone as well.

Reactions: icu

DamnRock

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd venture to guess that if it's actually showing the drive on your PC... your drivers are ok. I run Windows 7 too but I actually did have to download the Android SDK and manually force a USB drive on the phone to get it to clear up in Device Manager... that got me going. You may go ahead and check your Device Manager (in Control Panel) to make sure you don't have any ! on anything in there. I'm guessing you're ok and just need to mount the drive on the phone though.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I've had to reseat the SD card in the phone a few times already. It seems that the card loses contact with the phone sometimes. I've even had a message that the card had errors on it, but reseating the card corrected the problem.

ojocell

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Fascinate today. My first "smartphone". So I'm new to all of this. Wanted to move music files to the phone to use the music player but computer didn't recognize the phone via the usb cable. I did "mount" but that didn't work for me. I haven't yet turned off debugging. I will try that but I forgot how I got to the pulldown to see the mount and shut off debugging options. Where do I have to be to see that? Also, I downlosded VZ Media Manager but that didn't find my phone either. Called customer support but they couldn't help, I had a real hard time understanding them - phone call quality issue - and after being on and off hold for quite a while got disconnected. At this point if I don't get the media situation resolved and I find all calls are hard to hear I will return it and go back to my 20th century flip phone.

mike_a

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yup - Damnrock is correct, I had to pull down the menu and allow the phone to mount the computer before I could see the drive.

Thanks!

tjefferson3

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
phone storage

When the fascinate is connected to a pc should there be two drives one for phone storage and one for memory card storage, like the droid incredible shows when it is connected to a pc? I know the fascinate is a different brand and maybe that is why I only see a drive for the memory card when I connect my fascinate to my pc.

TSX05

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this same problem, tried yesterday to connect to my Vaio laptop running Win 7. would not connect, i couldn't get anything to pull up on my laptop at all, just a small window that kept giving me a red X.

any further help on this matter?

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
You need to install the Samsung drivers to get mass storage to work on some PCs.
You can download the drivers here:

64bit
http://www.wikifilez.com/root%20files/epic4g/usb_drivers_GalaxyS_x64.zip

32bit
http://www.wikifilez.com/root%20files/epic4g/SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.exe

[tapatalk on android]

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
When the fascinate is connected to a pc should there be two drives one for phone storage and one for memory card storage, like the droid incredible shows when it is connected to a pc? I know the fascinate is a different brand and maybe that is why I only see a drive for the memory card when I connect my fascinate to my pc.

you cannot access the phone storage on the fascinate as it's reserved for apps and system files.

the incredible actually had 3 drives if you count this way. an sd card, the internal storage, and then phone storage.

so in conclusion, it's normal to only see one drive when you mount the fascinate.

gavram

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
When my Samsung wouldn't connect I went under Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager (Windows XP) and it was listed with a yellow exclamation point next to it. I right clicked and selected uninstall then ran the Add Hardware wizard under Control Panel and the PC would then recognize the phone as a drive.