Screen went black!

bstarr3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Came into work this morning, plugged the phone into the Samsung dock, was trying to get to my gmail when the screen went out. Well, I've had some annoyances with the screen timeout, so I thought nothing of it. Tried pushing the power button. Nothing. Took the phone off the dock. Tried again - nothing. The backlight comes on on the capacitive buttons, but the screen is black. Held down the power button - the power off/airplane/silent toggle comes on. Okay, I thought - maybe it's frozen up. Powered down, got the VZW splash screen. Powered back up, got the whole bootup animation. After the VZW splash screen, screen goes black and I'm right back in the same place again. I've also tried this process with removing the battery. Same thing happens. Seems to linger at the Verizon splash screen longer than I remember, too, on bootup. About 20 seconds...

So to recap, here I am: The backlight on the capacitive buttons is on (and not dimming, btw). If I hold down power, I get the power off menu. Otherwise, the screen is black, and not responding to any button presses. I'm running Launcher Pro, otherwise stock/not rooted. Need help - don't have time to go wait at the vzw store for an hour today. Thanks

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Sounds almost exactly like what was happening to me. Verizon logo stayed up waaaay longer than normal, then when it when it away, I had a blank screen with capactive buttons lit up, and it would sit there. Buttons weren't frozen (they knew when I hit them) but they wouldn't do anything. System was unresponsive from that state, then I had to pull the battery, and it was the same thing over again.

I tried going into recovery and wiping data / factory reset, and it had no effect.

I ended up swapping out the device. Only took me ~15 minutes, but I was the only person in the store.

bstarr3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I ended up going into the store. They did a factory reset, which I guess I had been doing wrong when I tried, and it worked. Interesting that someone else has had the exact same problem. I wonder if this will become more prevalent? Thanks, though.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I ended up going into the store. They did a factory reset, which I guess I had been doing wrong when I tried, and it worked. Interesting that someone else has had the exact same problem. I wonder if this will become more prevalent? Thanks, though.

Well.. I caused my problem. ;)

hawkphotography

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
my wife and I both had the same thing happen today on both our phones. What's the deal??? not rooted, launcher pro and limited apps.

Also, system info widget was showing 30% battery, but she got the pop up that her battery was fully charged and to disconnect.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
same thing happened to two of them for me, I had the first one for two days and the second for just over two weeks. Im back to suffering on my Storm 2 until I decide on what to get next. :(