Network Signal Notification?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I'm getting a sound / notification when I lose network signal (cellular , not WiFi). I can't seem to find an option to turn this off. That's nice it tells me I lost signal, but every time I walk into the interior stairwell of our building this happens. Starting to drive me crazy..

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, it always does it to me too.

Not good, if you ask me, to keep reminding me that this phone isn't getting any service, where my previous Droid 1 did. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also, does anyone know what it means when the 3g icon changes from the 3g with the up/down data arrows to a 3G with a D under it? My icon changes now and then to that icon. Sometimes it seems to affect whether data like webpages will load, sometimes it will immediately change from the D to the data arrows when I refresh or navigate to a new web page while on the browser.

Last edited:

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
This is prolly not going to be the fix but have you tried to turn the emergency notification switch to off? I'd try it here but I can't loose the signal to see if it works.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
This is prolly not going to be the fix but have you tried to turn the emergency notification switch to off? I'd try it here but I can't loose the signal to see if it works.

If it is under the Emergency Tone heading under Menu, Settings, Sound and Display, then mine is already set to Off.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Mine (emergency tone) is also off by default. I set it to vibrate to test as well. :(

The only thing I've found that stops the sound is putting the phone in silent mode. I haven't' even been able to find the sound file yet. Once I do though, that thing is getting replaced with a whole bunch of silence.

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep, noticed this over the weekend too. Was driving on a hilly road in the country and I sounded like a damn doorbell. Ding Dong! Ding Dong up and down the hills! Finally I just put the stupid thing on vibrate. Samsung needs to step up their game a bit in the ability to customize certain aspects of this phone that other manufacturers already do. Hopefully someone reads these forums and takes away good ideas from the company (doubt it though).

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I
Yeah, it always does it to me too.

Not good, if you ask me, to keep reminding me that this phone isn't getting any service, where my previous Droid 1 did. :rolleyes:

Edit: Also, does anyone know what it means when the 3g icon changes from the 3g with the up/down data arrows to a 3G with a D under it? My icon changes now and then to that icon. Sometimes it seems to affect whether data like webpages will load, sometimes it will immediately change from the D to the data arrows when I refresh or navigate to a new web page while on the browser.

I've noticed that also. Doesnt seem to affect data usage that ive seem. Typing this I have the D icon now

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
snap20100920_141126.png

Rebooted afterward, as well.

Accidental Post

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I am pretty sure that ain't it at this point LOL I am going through all the .ogg files to see what sound that is so I can edit it. But I did find the place to change the boot sound.......

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I went through every media file I could find about a week ago, and I could not locate it. Deleting the file, or replacing it with silence, was my first idea, but I couldn't ever locate the file. I'm pretty much convinced it's some strange internal media sound, possibly embedded somewhere into the phone's firmware.

I'm going to check the kernel's ramdisk when I get home.. but I doubt it's there. :(