Possible signal strength bug?

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I believe there is a bug in the signal strength indication on the Fascinate, the one that shows the signal strength in -dBm.

You can see the signal strength of the cell signal on the Menu, Settings, About, Status screen. Or you can place a widget on your Home screen. There are several widgets available, I'm using Mobile Signal Widget.

I have a network extender, which basically creates a cell tower right in your home. With my Motorola Droid, I used to get signal strengths down to about -50 something and 60's in indicated signal strength. I can hold both of our Fascinates right next to the network extender's antenna and they will read no better than -86 dBm. So far I've seen signal strengths from -86 dBm to -106 dBm (terrible).

I believe there is a bug in the software (Baseband) on the Fascinate. Previously, I thought the hardware (antenna/radio) wasn't very good, but now it may be software related.

Has anyone seen a signal strength stronger than -86 dBm on the Fascinate?

Sabban

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine has ranged between -86 and -96dBm when I have checked it. Just loaded up that widget so will monitor it more often now. Haven't had any call quality/drop issues though

Martian

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing the signal level is being display after an input protection attenuator thus the reason you never see signal levels higher than -86 dBm. I posted a little more detail to the similar question on XDA.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Verizon's response

I'm on my Fascinate now, or I would post in the actual email response I got from Verizon customer service.

Basically the response was that I should contact the developer of the Signal Strength Widget for the problems I am experiencing with the phone. :eek:

wtf?

I replied that he didn't understand, and that this needs to get up to higher technical support personnel.