Problems with Fascinate screen

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Picked up my Fascinate on Sat and this mourning my screen wouldn't turn on. The only way I could get my screen to come back on was to pull the battery and restart. This afternoon it wouldn't turn on again and pulling the battery would not fix the problem. When the phone boots up I have all the sounds ect but the screen just doesn't come on. After it sits for awhile the screen will come back on but as soon as the screen times out or you turn it off it will not turn back on without sitting for awhile. I removed two apps that I installed today thinking that one of them could be the problem but the problem still persists. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so how did you fix it, I'm headed back to BestBuy tomorrow mourning to switch it out to see what they say.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it but at least Im not alone. I just checked online and my local BestBuy has them in stock so I should be able to just do a simple switch. I just hate thinking about getting all my apps put back on the new one and getting everything just like I like it.

wonsae

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I wish I could do that but my vzw store wouldn't let me replace it there since I ordered it online :\

EDIT: Just curious what did you do to make your phone like that?
I was just playing around with my brightness and put it to no brightness and stopped working.

Last edited:

tbuck

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it but at least Im not alone. I just checked online and my local BestBuy has them in stock so I should be able to just do a simple switch. I just hate thinking about getting all my apps put back on the new one and getting everything just like I like it.
If you download and signup for AppBrain it will sync all your apps to their server, then when you get the new one it will install all the same apps again :)

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I wish I could do that but my vzw store wouldn't let me replace it there since I ordered it online :\

EDIT: Just curious what did you do to make your phone like that?
I was just playing around with my brightness and put it to no brightness and stopped working.

I installed an app yesterday mourning call Quick Setting ,if I remember the name correctly, and it has the ability to adjust the screen brightness ect and I thought it might be what was causing the problem but during one of the periods that the phone was working I removed that app and made sure my screen was set on auto brightness just to make sure that wasn't the problem and it is still doing it.

BKVic

kxs783kms

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Add me to the list. If you Google this, you'll see that it's a wide spread problem with this phone on all carriers. I searched for hours and never found a fix, other than doing a factory reset. So this problem may even happen with your new phone :(

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I posted instructions on getting to the recovery menu to do a factory reset here http://forum.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate/34585-phone-will-not-turn.html if you want to try before driving all the way back to a Best Buy. May save you some time/trouble.

Is this a problem caused my rooting? My phone is completely stock except for the apps I have added. Also you say that your screen lights up and then goes dark, mine doesn't even do that. It never comes on but the sound does work and the menu buttons do light up when pressed.

BKVic

kvaughan#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Is this a problem caused my rooting? My phone is completely stock except for the apps I have added. Also you say that your screen lights up and then goes dark, mine doesn't even do that. It never comes on but the sound does work and the menu buttons do light up when pressed.

BKVic

My situation was not the same as yours. I was simply directing you to try the recovery menu instructions at the button of the post for a factory reset.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This mourning after sitting all night it came on and I went in and checked all the screen sittings ect and everything looked right but now its back to not coming on again. 10AM BestBuy opens and Ill be there, its a nice phone when it works but I still dont know if Im going to keep it.

BKVic

kvaughan#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
This mourning after sitting all night it came on and I went in and checked all the screen sittings ect and everything looked right but now its back to not coming on again. 10AM BestBuy opens and Ill be there, its a nice phone when it works but I still dont know if Im going to keep it.

BKVic

Did you try my factory reset instructions? There's absolutely no risk of bricking your phone from it and you can possibly save yourself a trip to Best Buy...

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That is what Im afraid of, bricking my phone and then being stuck with it. Ive never rooted a phone before or even messed with one aside of hooking it up to the pc to put my ring tones on the memory card or back up the info on my Storm 2. Just looking at the instructions on how to root the Fascinate that are supposed to be step by step left me lost.

BKVic

wonsae

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried going into recovery mode and reset factory settings and did not work. I even tried the odin stock backup one but that failed as well.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Took my Fascinate back to BestBuy this mourning and when I told them what it was doing it came as no surprise, said it was a common problem and Samsung is working on an update or something to that fact. He got on the computer and pulled up a screen of known problems with the Fascinate that was being worked on. Not sure if it was a BestBuy, Verizon or Samsung site that had the list but I felt it was a little odd that the Fascinate would have so many bugs when the other members of the Galaxy s line had been out for a time.