my reasons why it is or might be going back thread.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, after giving it a try for almost a week (coming from a Droid 1), I am still undecided and leaning toward bringing my Fascinate back to exchange it for a D2 or DInc. I am not sure either phone is better, but think their shortcomings might be less annoying. My biggest annoyance with the Fascinate is that, since I got the phone it seems to be one accommodation after another. In general, I really like several aspects of the phone, but dislike others. I was initially going to bring it back because I HATED the Bing piece of things. I decided to give the phone more of a chance so I rooted, cleaned it up, did the lag fix and customized things as much as I can at this point. It still just
seems lacking to me. Perhaps others have input that can help me decide. Here's my summary.

Dislikes
Bing (mostly fixed with root)
Bloatware (made to disappear with root)
No Froyo
No notification LED (somewhat addressed with the NoLED app)
Having to use a non-stock launcher and browser to avoid Bing
No Google commands
Poor signal strength compared to my D1 (usually about 50% of the D1 unless the signal is very strong)
Multiple instances of having to reboot the phone due to no data connectivity. (I have full signal, but no data connectivity and need to reboot the phone - at which point the days comes back just fine. This has happened about one time per day, sometimes first thing when I wake up in the am, sometimes randomly throughout the day. Thinking about it, it has only happened since root on day 2)
Flimsy and poorly designed desk dock (I use this heavily.)
Battery life that is only moderate at best with fairly heavy program use (Beautiful widgets with animated weather, etc.) (Yeah, I could address this by being more spartan in my choice of programs)
(I am also still occasionally missing the QWERTY from my Droid)

Great feel to the phone (design and weight)
Great screen
I appreciate teh easy UI adn system design from Samsung compared to Motorola's un-elegant approach with the D1.
Good overall performance despite some bit of lag when coming out of the hibernate mode (Even with the lag fix. It is minor, but there.)
Wonderful keyboard experience with the full version of Swype
Easy to access the full phone through root (first time I have rooted and it was no problem)
Really good camera (this is very refreshing after dealing with the disaster of a camera on my D1)
Good sound on the speakers

In general I think I could live with the phone and be content with it, but it just seems like there is something significant missing. I am really trying hard to like the phone and have put in the time and effort to maximize it, but it just seems like there is something else lacking. Perhaps I just need to wait for a custom ROM? Or perhaps what I am really looking for does not, and will not likely exist and that this phone might be the best compromise out there for now.

I appreciate any thoughts or input from others that might help me out.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Fascinate for a few days (since Sunday), and I came from a D1 like you.

The lack of a message light is killing me, but I'm using NoLED right now and it seems to be ok.

I got over the Bing thing pretty quickly. Really, it's not a big deal. I never used the search widget anyways. I just open my browser that has Google.com set to my home page, and I'm all set. I'm not one of those people who think it's a sin Verizon put MS on a Google phone. It's just business: deal with it.

Swype is great. The 4" screen is a perfect size. The phone is thin and light and I barley notice it in my shirt pocket, unlike the D1.

I don't mind how TouchWiz does their app screen, I just wish I could resort the apps after downloading new ones. It places them at the end (or wherever there is an open spot). I like keeping them in alphabetical order.

My girlfriend has the DX, and I've been playing with that. I'm still in my 30 days, so I'll play with both for a while and decide what to keep. Right not it's about 70/30, with the Fascinate ahead.

Nick

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
That is what I am leaning toward Brandon. I have time on my 30 days and am not going to rush into things, but am about 70/30 leaning toward to D2 at this point.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
That is what I am leaning toward Brandon. I have time on my 30 days and am not going to rush into things, but am about 70/30 leaning toward to D2 at this point.

I've been there, it's frustrating really wanting to like something but feeling like you're settling. Just feels off.

Get the phone that works best for you, not the phone that you wish worked best for you.

jrkrace

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think your biggest hangup is whether you want a slide out keyboard or not. That's purely understandable as I went through the process myself awhile ago.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I want to like the Fascinate enough to keep it too, mainly because I root for the underdog. It is a nice phone, I think it just got a bad wrap because of the whole Bing thing.

DougFNJ

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I want to first compliment this forum for not turning threads like these into a mine is better than yours discussion. That is just incredibly refreshing :)

I want to also say that one thing I REALLY appreciate about Verizon is the amount of choices they are offering with the Android platform. They are really giving us a lot of great varieties to choose from, and I think that will only work to make Android better and bigger. :)

Going on that note, I moved from the Droid 1 originally because the sound quality was lacking. I consistently heard static on the line whenever the other party was talking, I would hear a faint static echo immediately following....drove me nuts, and after 3 exchanges I went back to Blackberry for awhile.

I jumped back on the Android wagon with the Incredible. Great phone, but after Froyo on that one, all of a sudden I had too many errors from the keyboard, I had to constantly check my spelling before I sent anything. I think my big thumbs hurt that experience unfortunately.

The Fascinate feels so right as far as the keyboard goes. If they could get this multi-touch keyboard I have read about in a few threads, that would make it soooo much better....that, and putting a comma on the main stock keyboard.

Anyway, I was going back and forth with the Incredible and Fascinate for the past few days, going with overall feel, and trying to get used to a different device. I have been overall happy with the Fascinate. The only complaint I have is ridiculously low volume on navigation, and that echo I hear of myself when talking on the phone. I am hoping these issues get addressed with a software update, but the testing still goes on while in my 30 day.

Go to the store and look at the Droid 2. See how it feels, play with the keyboard. Go with the phone you can see yourself using for the next year or 2.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm torn over my Fascinate as well. Leaning toward exchanging it for an X. At this point, I like everything about it, but as the OP noted, the signal strength/reception on the Fascinate is lacking compared to the D1. I do think the Fascinate has a bug and is under reporting the signal strength dBm values though (I have a separate thread on it). I haven't dropped any calls, but it seems it is chewing through the battery a bit fast, possibly from thinking the signal is weak and boosting the power to the radio when it doesn't need to.

I love the screen and think ergonomically, this device is pretty much perfect. The only thing is I would prefer to have the USB port at the bottom or side of the device, I don't like it coming out of the top.

hanano17

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't mind how TouchWiz does their app screen, I just wish I could resort the apps after downloading new ones. It places them at the end (or wherever there is an open spot). I like keeping them in alphabetical order.
Nick

You know you can move the apps around if you want, by hitting menu and then edit and then moving them around the same as you would on the iphone/itouch. It's slower than an auto alphabet, but still an option.

I for one, love my Fascinate. Much better than my Dinc and OG Droid. I'm 100% keeping it :)

oldAGE

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same camp but I have to add this...

One can hope that things get fixed with some maintenance updates. We are the wheel... Let's make it squeak!!!

Secondly, make sure that you contact Verizon with your concerns and complaints. I am not talking, "<whine> I wish the color was different" but rather, "this doesn't work as documented! (Example is their support for codecs including the 900 year old .wav file format!!!).

Finally, if you document your complaints... And I mean you find your favorite Verizon corporate Retail Store and you make them type notes into your account, then I think you can leverage "better than 30 day" warranty. The bottom line is that they (Verizon and Samsung) have to step up to the plate in a reasonable amount of time. The GalaxyS series is still immature but it's not that brand new where they are just hearing about concerns. This puts Verizon seriously on the hook. This way, you may get really good pro-rated return or changes to your desired device even after their 30 days. Remember, a $375 termination fee for you is pretty small compared to a $1000 annual loss in revenue for them. And then you get to sell the phone on Ebay too... We vote with our pockets as long as we are willing to commit.

Again, I am in this same camp but I am slowly fighting my way through some of my issues. My "Bluetooth" issue (and subsequent post today) really po'd me.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm torn over my Fascinate as well. Leaning toward exchanging it for an X. At this point, I like everything about it, but as the OP noted, the signal strength/reception on the Fascinate is lacking compared to the D1. I do think the Fascinate has a bug and is under reporting the signal strength dBm values though (I have a separate thread on it). I haven't dropped any calls, but it seems it is chewing through the battery a bit fast, possibly from thinking the signal is weak and boosting the power to the radio when it doesn't need to.

I love the screen and think ergonomically, this device is pretty much perfect. The only thing is I would prefer to have the USB port at the bottom or side of the device, I don't like it coming out of the top.

I have actually had better service with my fascinate over my d1.
It does however loose 3g quicker then my D1 but for some reason it still connects to the internet with full speed. Its as if its just saying I dont have data connection when I do.

And to the OP the d2 software is kinda shaky. My friend just got one and is having an awful time with it. But like everything it could just be his.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have actually had better service with my fascinate over my d1.
It does however loose 3g quicker then my D1 but for some reason it still connects to the internet.

I find it hard to believe your Fascinate is getting better reception than the D1. :confused:

Right now, side by side, my Droid 1 has -79/-80 dBm while my Fascinate is fluctuating between -96, -101, and -106 dBm. Funny how I just noticed that the Fascinate only seems to be indicating signal strengths in increments of 5 dBm...

Anyway, since the dBm scale is logarithmic and not linear, the D1 with about a 20 dBm signal advantage is 100 times better than the Fascinate. :eek:

This is because for each 3 dBm change the signal is doubled/halved, and for each 10 dBm change, the signal is 10 times stronger/weaker.

cobcwc

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site

If you go into Applications - Settings - Applications - Manage applications - Twlauncher and select clear data under storage, it will resort the apps alphabetically, not sure what else it clears though?

will i am

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
DONT try Droid2 I had two of them GO BAD on me! First one went bad after 1 week the phone started to beep like beep beep reminded me of roadrunner the cartoon! Verizon sent me another droid2 and 2 days later beep beep again!! Right now I am pretty happy with the Fascinate way better than D2!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
If you go into Applications - Settings - Applications - Manage applications - Twlauncher and select clear data under storage, it will resort the apps alphabetically, not sure what else it clears though?

Thanks for that tip, just what I was looking for!

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Returned the Fascinate today. Waiting for a Droid X, back using my Droid 1 for now.

The only reason the Fascinate went back was IMO Motorolas get better reception and handle noise cancellation better.

I just got a call from my wife, she's using a Fascinate. She was outdoors, and I could hear a lot of wind noise.

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Kind of in the same boat. The INC is so much more stable and polished. I had an X and of the three thought it was too bulky and the widgets very unrefined. If the Sammy was like the INC in terms of radio, wifi and especially GPS then I would not hesitate keeping it. But, and this is the biggie, the screen is fantastic on the SF! The great screen and light weight are the unique features that make me look past the shortcomings. Get what feels best to you, not what others think.

retiredf5

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
After 1 week. . . Fascinate goes back

It started with th 4th day, the incoming mail server would not accept email and the outgoing server would show the mail in the outbox but it was never sent. In the last 4 days and several calls to Version tech, the only way to correct the problem was doing a battery pull. The tech indicated a internal problem so it goes back to the store today to be replaced.

FWIW . . . Either read in this forum or elsewhere, sometime late in September the Super Amoled screen will be replaced with a different LCD screen because of the lack of availability.

After three years on a BlackBerry, I miss some of the feature of the BB but this new Fascinate performs better and has features that are better . . .but also has some 'you got to be kidding things'. Hope the replacement works as advertised.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463