How do you say?..

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is annoying to me..

I've always referred to the Incredible/Fascinate panel technology as A-M-O-L-E-D.

Now I'm hearing commercials and the presumably un-Android-educated people say 'AMOLED'.
Saying it like its a word.

It's an acronym!

Hhhhh..
I can't stand it.

Anyhow, I was wondering how everyone else says it.

[tapatalk on android]

muzhik

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
lol... dont think that it matters, as long as you understand it, it doesn't bother me how others are saying it...

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why, just annoys me.
It's technically incorrect and I'm a technical guy.
Do you say you have a LED TV/monitor?
No, it's a L-E-D.

As far as scuba goes- scuba is, well, technically a word.
Originally an acronym, but accepted now as a word due to its frequent use and generalization of an object or act (scubadive).

Ok, sorry, long hours at work have me going crazy.

[tapatalk on android]

thrillhouse847

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
What about LASER? Also an acronym but entirely pronounced as a word, even by the highly technical people who work with them.

Sent from my Fascinate via Tapatalk

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I say it as AMOLED too... Most people I hear talking about it say it as a work. I've rarely heard it pronounced in its acronym form.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I pronounce it AMMOLEAD

LEAD should rhyme with red.

I understand we pronounce LED as L - E - D. Even when organic LED came out, it was O - L - E - D.

At some point we started gong with what was easier.. A - M - O - L - E - D is a bit much, especially since it's really S - A - M - O - L - E - D.

When the syllables in the abbreviation exceed the syllables in the word, the whole point of it being an abbreviation in the first place is negated.

Last edited:

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
When the syllables in the abbreviation exceed the syllables in the word, the whole point of it being an abbreviation in the first place is negated

Ok, this makes sense.
I'm glad I made this thread.
It changed my perspective some.

Now I'm going to go watch someone S-C-U-B-A on my A-M-O-L-E-D screen while shooting a L-A-S-E-R.

I kid, I kid.

[tapatalk on android]