Youtube: Wifi high quality / 3G low quality

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've been quietly reading the threads.. seeing if anyone else would bring this up... haven't seen it yet, so, starting this one..

It would appear that the built in Youtube app only provides high quality video when thee phoney is connected to wifi... this might be fine if it weren't for the fact that the low quality video is VERY LOW quality.. enough so that it's not even watchable.

Can anyone confirm whether this is common to all fascinates? ..
I'm coming from a WinMo TP2... and the 3G youtube on that phone was definitely watchable. (not quite the quality from fascinate on wifi)... but much better than fascinate on 3G...

I really don't want to be confined to only watching youtube videos in range of wifi...

thoughts ? suggestions?

thanks! ! !

via android tapatalk

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to go into the menu while watching a youtube video and force high quality, even over 3G.
I have a new build of the youtube app loaded on my Fascinate (thanks to APKtor) and it has a HQ button that toggles on or off.
I'm pretty sure the original version required you to go into the menu and possibly options to choose Watch in High Quality.

shazbonk

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Menu Button > More > Watch in high quality. As far as I know there's no way to change the default 3g quality from low to high.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yep, just as shazbonk posted. It works really, really well too. Especially when you have really high quality videos to watch.

If you're into gaming, check out my youtube channel, it's filled with HD gaming videos. YouTube - F34RTEHR34PER's Channel

You'll be amazed at how awesome these videos look in high quality on the Fascinate.

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to go into the menu while watching a youtube video and force high quality, even over 3G.
I have a new build of the youtube app loaded on my Fascinate (thanks to APKtor) and it has a HQ button that toggles on or off.
I'm pretty sure the original version required you to go into the menu and possibly options to choose Watch in High Quality.

Yep. Menu Button > More > Watch in high quality. As far as I know there's no way to change the default 3g quality from low to high.

Thanks guys.. I SWEAR that I tried the "menu" the other day.. and I swear that it was only popping up/down the Play/pause/seek display....

Great to know that I can force it over to HQ when needed..

THANKS (and thanked)

Yep, just as shazbonk posted. It works really, really well too. Especially when you have really high quality videos to watch.

If you're into gaming, check out my youtube channel, it's filled with HD gaming videos. YouTube - F34RTEHR34PER's Channel

You'll be amazed at how awesome these videos look in high quality on the Fascinate.

Actually, my primary reason for wanting the HQ Youtube videos is because I follow the Starcraft 2 casters, primarily HDStarcraft, Husky, and VaulSC... Also a little bit of Geakbeat.tv too... I'll check out your channel to see if it's what I like...

The extent of my gaming is usually SC, SC2, Quake 4 (i know, antiquated)... don't really get into much else.

And, you are correct, when I've watched them at home on WIFI.. the video quality is out of this world.. (which is why i'm wanting the same thing for 3G)

astraelraen

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Could you post the apk, or a link to this youtube app?