DX for SF+discount, HELP!

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a situation that I'm able to either wait for a DX replacement or trade for the Fascinate.

The situation:

I bought a DX and am very happy with it. It turns out though it was used, the first night I found photos and .pdf's that were not mine on the phone, and because of that I gave the phone a look over and found a scratch on the top as well. I informed my VZW rep right away but as everyone knows there is a huge backorder on Droid X's. I've been waiting 3 weeks now for a replacement with still no update on when I will have one for sure. It works perfectly other than a few lock ups recently, so it's not a big deal.

My dellima:

My rep is offering to replace it with a Fascinate plus an extra discount of another $25 off. If there wasn't such a backorder for the DX and I had gotten the replacement I would never have even thought about this.

So I'm trying to decide wether to wait it out for my actually new DX to replace the used one since this one works fine, or go with the new Fascinate. There are things with both that I like. I'm reading the hardware on the SF may be better which I like, but I wanted to hear from those that have gone from the DX to the SF and get some pros & cons of the switch to help me decide. I've never rooted my droids but have been thinking about it so that is a factor also.

Thanks!

(sorry this is so wordy, just wanted to give as much info as possible for replies)

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
i would prefer the fascinate over the X myself.. but the only reason why i would maybe wait for the X in your situation is the fascinate is considerably cheaper at most stores.. 199 is about what you will have to pay for an X.. where the fascinate is going for as little as a penny on some sites (amazon)

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Thats crazy cheap because the Fascinate is listed at the same price from VZW. I got it as my upgrade so the fascinate would be the same price for me that way. I wonder how they are getting away with such a low price. Has anyone haad any experience with VZW price matching?

Last edited:

PIYIRIO

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Places like Amazon are selling phones for a penny for new subscribers. If you're already with Verizon you wont be allowed these deals. They're betting you'll like the service and stay with them when your contracts up. Plus its looks better for their quarterly stats: "we had x number of new subscribers".

I really cant think of anything significant you'd lose in the trade...
some of the x's bulk
trading motoblur for touchwiz (both suck, 3rd party launchers negate this)
lose a bit of screen real estate (but the Samsung screen is much nicer overall)
lose your tv out (but the x's hdmi doesn't even work with my barely-a-year-old tv's)
might lose gps (Samsung apparently hasn't improved much since the Omnia days at the worst you'll get a slower locking gps, at the best we'll have a 100% software update)
you'll lose official FroYo for now

The Samsung is nicer overall imho, especially in the gaming department. The graphics completely set this phone apart, it will be more evident when we get FroYo.

coltsbr

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would go with the SF, I actually got both phones because I could not decide which one to get. I love both of them but the battery life on the DX is bad in my eyes.

The way I look at it is that, all of the sweet stuff these phones can do you should be able to use them to their full pontential.

When I do that with t he X i'm lucky to get a half of a day out of the device and so does everyone that I know that has one.

On the SF I can at least get a whole day out of it.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
as far as battery life.. i agree the fascinate has incredible battery life and to me thats one of the most important aspects of a phone.

as far as new subscriber/upgrading subscriber phone prices.. yes the penny price is for new subscribers, but wirefly.com is selling the fascinate for 29.99 to upgrading subscribers.

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The battery life is a major thing. When I go out on the weekends by the end of the night after texting back and forth with people to meet up and where we're going and what all is going on, I HAVE to have my charger with me wherever I end up that night or my phone is completely dead by morning. From what I've seen, this shouldn't be a problem at all with the SF so that's a big selling point for me.

I was looking at the Amazon listing and saw the $.01 was only for new customers but existing customers still can get it for only $99.99 compared to $199.99 that VZW is selling them for, thats still $100 off which is crazy.

I am really leaning towards the SF and actually told my rep to get one for me which I'll get next week, so I have at least a few days to decide for sure. But seeing Amazon's price is making me feel like I'll be over paying with VZW. It's not really a big deal, it's just a bad taste. If that were not the case, after reading about the SF though, the only reason I would keep the DX is now becoming also just the idea that its more rare with such crazy backorder, and the feeling that its sturdier due to the weight, and the physical buttons. The screen being larger is only marginal so its not a selling point.

Such a p.i.t.a. if only I they had given me a brand new Droid X in the first place I would not have to be thinking about this and would have just been happy with my awsome new android instead of having to pick between two! lol

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
as far as battery life.. i agree the fascinate has incredible battery life and to me thats one of the most important aspects of a phone.

as far as new subscriber/upgrading subscriber phone prices.. yes the penny price is for new subscribers, but wirefly.com is selling the fascinate for 29.99 to upgrading subscribers.

Just checked, SF on wirefly.com for upgrading subscribers is 99.99 also

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget read the TOS on those 3rd party retailers. Some of them have a secondary ETF where you can't downgrade plans or change phones for the first 6 months. And Verizon has actual public facing stores and employees to pay for also.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If you already like the X...why torture yourself. Just hold tight and wait for it. Both phones are awesome...you really can't go wrong. Of course coming to a Fascinate forum you're going to get the whole "get the fascinate, it's better" thing. I don't necessarily think the Fascinate is better, it's just better for my needs. In fact, overall, I probably think the X has the slight edge...but when I wear dress slacks all day, I can't carry around a brick in my pocket, so Fascinate it is. The size difference when it comes to weight and bulk is significant even though the specs on paper say it's minimal.

I haven't found battery life to be significantly better than the X. I still have both phones and I use the X on weekends, but I'm about to return the X because I am sick of going back and forth. No reason to have two phones really. I wanted to be sure I gave the Fascinate a shot and like I said, the size won me over.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I've had bad luck with Motorolas (not the X, but the 1 and 2's). And while the X is a nice phone, in my unbiased opinion (since I have a Fascinate) I'd definitely take the Fascinate.

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
If you already like the X...why torture yourself. Just hold tight and wait for it. Both phones are awesome...you really can't go wrong. Of course coming to a Fascinate forum you're going to get the whole "get the fascinate, it's better" thing. I don't necessarily think the Fascinate is better, it's just better for my needs. In fact, overall, I probably think the X has the slight edge...but when I wear dress slacks all day, I can't carry around a brick in my pocket, so Fascinate it is. The size difference when it comes to weight and bulk is significant even though the specs on paper say it's minimal.

I haven't found battery life to be significantly better than the X. I still have both phones and I use the X on weekends, but I'm about to return the X because I am sick of going back and forth. No reason to have two phones really. I wanted to be sure I gave the Fascinate a shot and like I said, the size won me over.

Yeah I'm taking into account that I posted this on a fascinate forum. I did that hoping to get more previous X users.

My work has a ton of electronics so I get horrible reception, the reps are there all day when they come and my rep actually has the Fascinate and said his previous DINC would have needed to be charged twice already when his SF was only 3/4 drained. I'm hoping that carries over with usage also but if you didn't notice a huge improvement from the X, it's not a big deal. Have you used your SF over the weekend to see if the battery lasts much longer during the same kind of weekend usage you were doing with the X yet?

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping that carries over with usage also but if you didn't notice a huge improvement from the X, it's not a big deal. Have you used your SF over the weekend to see if the battery lasts much longer during the same kind of weekend usage you were doing with the X yet?

Yes, I have, but I use my phone a lot more during the week, so my weekend usage is minimal compared to my work week. I obviously had the X before I had the fascinate so I'm going strictly by memory, but the X and the Fascinate are about the same as far as battery life goes. I can make it through the entire day and end up with about 10-20% left by the time I go to bed.

Now, one thing to note is that the reception on the X seems to be a bit better. So if you're already in an area with poor coverage, it's going to be difficult to pull a signal on the Fascinate. Just another thing to think about. It will definitely affect the battery life if you're in low coverage areas and I think the X would be a better bet from that point of view as well.

Both my office and home get middle of the road reception so I don't have that issue but I've noticed the signal strength (or lack thereof) when I go grocery shopping. With the X i can at least hold a Verizon signal, with the Fascinate I would have no service. Rudimentary test of course, but that tells me quite a bit.

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.....great info to think about. Thanks! I wonder if froyo will help with the battery life & signal. I read the samoled screen is supposed to be so much more effecient that I just assumed it was the big part in not draining the battery, perhaps not if they are not so different from your experience.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm.....great info to think about. Thanks! I wonder if froyo will help with the battery life & signal. I read the samoled screen is supposed to be so much more effecient that I just assumed it was the big part in not draining the battery, perhaps not if they are not so different from your experience.

The biggest issue I find is that reviewers and people who just get a phone seem to jump to conclusions really quickly. Batteries take a few days to break in or at least for you to start using your phone as you normally would. New toys, people tend to use them quite a bit so the battery life seems really bad at first.

I always wait at least a week before making any rash decisions about battery life. I had to get an extended battery (just the 1750 one) for the Incredible because it wouldn't make it through the day with normal usage. Both the X and the Fascinate do...so they are perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

I also run with my brightness almost all the way up (I hate the auto-dim feature)...so maybe that puts them on equal ground with regards to the screen technology, I don't know.

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I've had the X for 3 weeks now and like it other than the locking up its started doing this week for some reason. I hope it doesn't go bad, that would be extremely annoying since I'm coming from a Droid Eris which has sooo much trouble handling 2.1 and wont even get froyo from what I hear.

I'm going to post this thread in the DX forum as well and see if many have gone back to an X after trying the SF and why.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, on an average day, I can get 14hrs+ and still have 40-50% left before I put it on the charger. I did use it heavily for a couple days over 3G and made it just past 4pm before it started screaming at me with the 15% left warning after about 10hrs of barely putting the phone down. Also if you have access to wifi, USE IT as you should see a definite improvement over 3G especially if you don't have great signal where you are.