some advice in general with verizon and this phone and amazon

tropolis

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
let me lay this out real quick.

ordered the fascinate online for 1 penny with the 2 year agreement. got the phone, love it, but i was naive and didnt understand that 69.98 a month for 450 mins and unlimited data didn't mean 69.98. after the taxes and surcharges i had no idea about the 69.98 is more like 90.00.

i realized i had 30 days to cancel the service with verizon and 30 days to return with amazon so i canceled verizon. verizon was poor imo in my area. whenever i used the browser it would go from 3 bars to 1 or zero, when i used the phone at home i had 0 or 1 bars most of the time and like i said it was too exepsnive. but like i said, i loved the phone.

so i called amazon and told them i want to return it, they emailed me a shipping label and i had it in the mailbox ready to go back. then i thought of something and grabbed the package.

i thought of this. i have verizon cancelled. why cant i unlock the phone, put a tmobile prepaid card on it and use it as such. why return the phone? amazon states on there website that to cancel the phone you need to contact verizon. only for att do you need to go through amazon wireless to cancel service.

now i looked at amazon's policies and they have an instant discount policy, stating if you dont keep your account in good standing or dont activate it after 181 days, you will be assessed a fee of 250.

so say they assess me the 250 dollar fee, isn't that cheaper than buying it unlocked for 600?

am i missing something here?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
True, but you didn't say Virgin Mobile in your first post, you said T-Mobile. Regardless, you can't activate the Fascinate on any carrier besides Verizon, regardless of the network technology.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It's not cancelled unless you return the hardware. If you don't, you'll likely get charged an ETF by Verizon (~350) and Amazon (250) so that's $550.

tropolis

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
yea, more i looked into it decided to send it back.

shame its such a nice phone, but im not paying 90 a month for a phone.

i hardly use the phone at all outside of emergencies. data is convenient, but i have computers at work and internet at home. dont use text. i will go back to tmobile prepay.