Scratch on Screen: How Can I exchange?

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
So I just noticed a decent sized scratch on my fascinates screen.

It's in the middle of the screen, and I can feel it with a fingernail. The phone spends all day in my pocket, and I baby it, so I'm surprised. Never been dropped or anything.

Though I know it's morally ambigious, I was thinking about returning it to verizon under the guise of faulty GPS/not getting a lock so I could get a new one with a clean screen.

Anyone know of any reason this wouldn't work?

If I do this or not though, will def be getting a screen protector.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This is one of many scratched screen horror stories coming from Galaxy-s phones... Supposedly they have "gorilla glass" but what's that good for if the thing scratches at the first meeting of a grain of dirt?

To contrast, my BB storm 1 didnt have a single scratch in well over a year of me brutally abusing it (sharing a pocket with keys, being dropped/thrown inside my car, etc) and it had pathetic, Gorilla-free glass. Is this Gorilla thing just hype?

Destination Moon

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah,mine has two really fine scratches now too. I'm pretty careful with it so it must have been some grit that got worked while cleaning the screen. Just ordered some screen protectors:(

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Fine scratches would be okay, but this one makes a little rainbow pattern evident whenever the screen is on.

Hopefully the VZW rep doesn't notice it when I try and return.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
lol. The restocking fee information should've been on the receipt. You used to only get docked the $35 if you exchanged for another device but now it covers all returns UNLESS you live in Hawaii.

king_of_fools

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
dude its 14-15 bucks in store for a 3 pack of screen protectors and most places i've been will put it on for you, no reason not to buy one at time of purchase. its to expensive of a mistake not to

K
O
f

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hence my first post stating "Whether I get a new one or not, I'll be getting a screen protector."

This, however, does not help me now. I suppose it was silly to think Gorilla Glass would actually live up to the hype.

Oddly this scratch is deep, and makes me wonder what the hell could have done it.

Rackness

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Not to be an a-hole but even if or was sapphire crystal it can still scratch. I think you just got unlucky. Many folk have been running bars screens with no problems but they are aware that they are running a risk of scratching the display. I put a protector on first thing just because I am paranoid like that. Good luck with your exchange.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

BADGER-BEAVER

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I too was under the impression the ?gorilla glass? was scratch resistant and not needing a screen protector. I have taken VERY good care of my phone and was shocked to see scratches beginning to develop on the screen. I assume it was from incidental fingernail contact while swiping my thumb across the screen. I went to Best Buy and had the ZAGG - InvisibleSHIELD Screen Protector installed. The InvisibleSHIELD diminished the visual quality of the screen and prevents me from effectively using the swipe keyboard as my finger does not slide smoothly across the phone now. I have to accept having the screen protected, with causes los of screen sharpness and functionality, is better than having the screen get scratch from general use.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
dude its 14-15 bucks in store for a 3 pack of screen protectors and most places i've been will put it on for you, no reason not to buy one at time of purchase. its too expensive of a mistake not to

K
O
f

Agreed. They put mine on at the store but just the other day I got some weird sticky stuff on it so I put on a new screen protector and good as new. Screen is still flawless underneath. Of course there's a tiny little bubble in the corner I can't get rid of with a spec of dirt under it, but it's a small price to pay, I think.

biff trout#AC

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Morally ambiguous? How about plain old wrong.

Though I know it's morally ambigious, I was thinking about returning it to verizon under the guise of faulty GPS/not getting a lock so I could get a new one with a clean screen.

It is not morally ambiguous, it is plain old wrong.

If you sold something on ebay with returns allowed and the buyer returned it to you with a scratch and asked for his money back due to what you knew was an unrelated BS excuse, my guess is that your opinion of this scenario would change.

Take responsibility for your own actions.

BTW - Before anyone bashes me as a troller or takes a shot at why my first post is a critique, I am a BB user searching for information on MS Exchange integration with Android and happened upon this gem.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I had a Fascinate w/ no "plastic wrap" on it and the sucker wouldn't charge, so shipped w/ cracked screen doesn't surprise me.

I'm surprised you're being charged a restock fee though. IIRC, that only applies to folks returning their phone or exchanging for a different model. You should be good for a new one within 30 days and a FRU after that for up to a year (or two w/ the extra insurance package).

stayqued

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:

Exchanged the phone no problem under the guise of GPS malfunction. They didn't notice or didn't care about the scratch(es).

Ordering screen protectors NOW though.