Rooting to remove Verizon Apps.

dr.duct_mossburg

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone had success with this?

I?m getting rid of my incredible because I just simply can't take the poor battery any longer. It's 2:30pm EST and I removed my phone off of charge at 9am EST. Background data, GPS, refresh, wifi, screen brightness, you name it, I've done it. I?m at 22% now. I have gone to above 20 web pages today, updated about 15 apps, and downloaded a few more. I?ve made about 15 minutes worth of phone calls, 2 emails, and about 75 txt. I took 3-4, 2min long videos. Something like this I could live with about 50-60% but think 70% is more of a realistic expectation for a ?revolutionary? device. To make matter?s worse; I have the OEM extended battery as well. Dumbfounded huh?

I?d love to be able to get a lot of aspects of the Incredible on to the Fascinate. I?ve been playing with the demo one for a few days?s now and am pretty amazed at the functionality of that. Working for ?the big red? now for 5 years, I?ve never been a Samsung fan, but this one is a winner.

What?s the word on this? Some of the cool thing?s you can do over the other?s? I?m debating whether or not to wait for the update. I don?t like the fact that the phone only has 2gb on board and can?t transfer to the media card.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Transferring to the sdcard is a function of the OS, not the phone. 2.2 will do that. If you're big on battery life, I'm not sure the Fascinate (at least out of the box) is going to be your best bet. You'll have to do a good amount of tinkering to get some decent battery life, but it's possible.

The display sold it for me. When I go to the app drawer and I see that clear,dead black background and compare it to say a Droid X, it's night and day. I love how black is actually black.

The GPU on this thing is probably the best on any phone at this time. This is a phone you buy for the hardware. If you're willing to put some time and effort into the software, you can get it pretty close to perfect.

As far as the VZW stuff, it's trivial to remove once you've rooted your device.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Ok stupid question here Brandon, but if someone roots the phone, don't you have to put a new ROM on it? Or, can I just root, then remove the crapware?

OP, sorry to hijack your post, but I count not resist this question.:)

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
No, rooting has nothing to do with ROM's.

I'm not sure why the terms root,rooting, etc.. had some magical, special quality assigned to them.. it's a very basic concept..

In the original *nix universe (Unix/BSD/AIX,Solaris,etc..), the first (built-in) user on any system had the name of "root". The "root" user was the system administrator, capable of doing anything to that system. It had all rights, privileges, etc. In the Windows world this user is called "Administrator."

"To root" simply means to obtain rights/privileges on the system (in this case, the the system is the phone) equal to that of the "root" user. When we obtain this level of access to the system, we install (copy over) the custom 'su' binary, which allows us to choose to let certain software operate with root level permissions as well.

So, long story short.. rooting means getting absolute and total control over your device. What you do with that control is up to the individual. You can root your device, remove some software and call it a day if you so desire, or you can obviously go much, much further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke