Amazon's annoying teaser pricing

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up to anyone who saw the Amazon 1 cent Fascinate and didn't realize how much fine print there was. It can't be used for a VZ "1 year early upgrade" on family plan primary lines, and if you DO have a NE2 coming and want to use it on a family plan the phones will be $149 each. If you have a solo plan and are eligible for NE2, the phones are $99. If you are one of the few people left who are hiding under a rock and not already a Big Red customer, you can get the 1 cent pricing.

Oh, and the ship date is currently "approximately 1 to 2 months". They had me interested for a second until I realized how hollow the promotion was. :(

TripSixes

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up to anyone who saw the Amazon 1 cent Fascinate and didn't realize how much fine print there was. It can't be used for a VZ "1 year early upgrade" on family plan primary lines, and if you DO have a NE2 coming and want to use it on a family plan the phones will be $149 each. If you have a solo plan and are eligible for NE2, the phones are $99. If you are one of the few people left who are hiding under a rock and not already a Big Red customer, you can get the 1 cent pricing.

Oh, and the ship date is currently "approximately 1 to 2 months". They had me interested for a second until I realized how hollow the promotion was. :(

I'm pretty sure that from the very moment I saw this promotion that it was very clear that the 1-cent was only for "new" customers.... maybe I saw a different page/article/blog than yourself.

That does suck about the 1-2 month ship date.... in 1-2 months someone else may be offering the penny-price to current customers..

Lije Baley

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Some of us were new users and the deal was very attractive, while Amazon had phones available. After they sweetened the penny deal on Monday with a $30 credit for each line activated, the supply must have been exhausted.

milq

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a Fascinate 4 days before this deal came to light (from another retailer) and I was pretty upset about the whole thing. Mostly at myself for not waiting a few more days of course.... Anyway, I sent the customer service folks at my retailer an email and they had a regional mgr on the phone with me the next morning. He gave me an additional discount immediately to keep me satisfied! So, one way or another, I got a good deal.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that from the very moment I saw this promotion that it was very clear that the 1-cent was only for "new" customers.... maybe I saw a different page/article/blog than yourself.

That does suck about the 1-2 month ship date.... in 1-2 months someone else may be offering the penny-price to current customers..

The new customers only thing doesn't bother me, but them for some reason penalizing me for having a family plan does. At least Verizon has the decency to run promotions at the same price for "any new or upgrade-ready line". I am much better off waiting for two lines to be NE2 eligible and to then get in on one of the BOGO smartphone offers that VZ has. Amazon can go F themselves.

Lije Baley

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
As promotions go, this is a pretty good one for new customers. Not sure why all the anger at Amzn for having different pricing in the plans. I assume Vzn had something to do with that. The phones are no longer available at Amzn, but are still offered at Amazon Wireless, with delivery in a couple of weeks. I missed the $30 per line credit that ran for the past four days by ordering two days early, but do not feel anger toward the retailer. Previous post seems a bit harsh.

Last edited:

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
As promotions go, this is a pretty good one for new customers. Not sure why all the anger at Amzn for having different pricing in the plans. I assume Vzn had something to do with that. The phones are no longer available at Amzn, but are still offered at Amazon Wireless, with delivery in a couple of weeks. I missed the $30 per line credit that ran for the past four days by ordering two days early, but do not feel anger toward the retailer. Previous post seems a bit harsh.

Yeah far be it for me, as a loyal Verizon customer of 7 years, to think I might get a good deal on a new phone... This is Amazon trying to grab a chunk of the third party reseller market and it is just as much them as it is Verizon; they know a family plan customer isn't worth throwing money at because they have them on a leash anyway. Almost makes me want to switch to a prepaid Virgin mobil phone and put up with crap coverage just so I'm not a cash cow for Verizon anymore...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781