I'm on my 3rd facinate

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got my fascinate this past Friday and I'm already on my 3rd one. For some reason it locks up than i would pull the battery to reboot it and it won't start up. The Verizon screen comes up than it stays on a blank black screen. Some people at verizon say don't put a task killer app. Some say its an app that may be doing it. I'm getting very discouraged. They replaced 3 times so far but i'm just wondering why others have hundreds of apps without a problem and I have 20 and it locks unexpectedly.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
They always recommended task killers to me on my Motorolas, but I'm pretty sure they didn't really do anything. On the Fascinate there is a Task Killer built in so I just use that. I'm sorry about your Fascinate troubles- it might be an app that's causing it, it might not be. I went through a ton of phones before I got a good one so I just wish you luck.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Task killers are destroying people's perception of Android. I wish they banned them from the market. In fact, I'd be a rich man if I had a nickel for every post - where removing a task killer - resolved a problem someone was having.

Redneck Trash

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Ditch the task killers. If you want to know what your apps are doing in the background, which most of time is nothing, use Watchdog.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

KH29

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the day I got my Fascinate the VZW store installed the taskiller app and said it was pretty much an essential for any android based smart phone. I have had it on there for a couple of weeks and after reading several article and posts about how bad they are I got rid of it.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the day I got my Fascinate the VZW store installed the taskiller app and said it was pretty much an essential for any android based smart phone. I have had it on there for a couple of weeks and after reading several article and posts about how bad they are I got rid of it.

I keep hearing reports of this, and it's absolutely infuriating! Verizon employees should not be installing ANY apps between the time the phone leaves the box, and the time the customer leaves the store. When in the hands of a VZW employee, that person could - knowingly or unknowingly - be installing any # of programs that could potentially be malicious (malware) in nature. There should absolutely be a corporate policy against employees installing software that alters the device after it's been removed from the box. I guess this is a lot to ask from a company who also thinks that every Android handset should come pre-installed with Bing.

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing reports of this, and it's absolutely infuriating! Verizon employees should not be installing ANY apps between the time the phone leaves the box, and the time the customer leaves the store.

Good point. I was so frustrated with the rep who kept insisting that he install Backup Assistant on my Fascinate. I hate that they even touch the phone, that's why I normally order online, but didn't want to wait that extra day or two to get my hands on a new phone :D

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Good point. I was so frustrated with the rep who kept insisting that he install Backup Assistant on my Fascinate.

Man, that's another excellent example. Once configured, the Backup Assistant account cannot be removed from the account settings screen, and continues to run indefinitely, until you do a hard reset.

I hate that they even touch the phone, that's why I normally order online, but didn't want to wait that extra day or two to get my hands on a new phone :D

I'm the exact same way. For me, buying online is always the better choice. They don't touch the phone, and it's so much easier to return if necessary.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing reports of this, and it's absolutely infuriating! Verizon employees should not be installing ANY apps between the time the phone leaves the box, and the time the customer leaves the store.

They shouldn't, but oh, they do. Only the last guy I dealt with when I got my D2 and then when I returned it for my Fascinate didn't install any apps on my phone. All of my POS Droids got task killers installed on them from the employees. The worst part was I was skeptical, but my parents were with me every time and were like "LISTEN TO THEM :)"

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Last time I bought a phone from a corporate store I immediately hard reset it after the rep finished programming it.
I don't want anything configured that I didn't configure.

[tapatalk on android]