Fascinate vs. Incredible? Anyone that has used both?

NickL1185

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Fascinate around the launch, and I'm coming up on my 30 days, so I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or not. If I didn't, I would go to an Incredible, since that's the only other hardware I could put up with (I'm coming from an iPhone and really the network was my only problem, so I like the shape/size of these phones better than say, Droid X). I have a few issues with this phone, but I'm sure there are issues with the Incredible as well.

I've rooted, lag fixed, and de-binged, so those aren't issues anymore...

My biggest problem with the Fascinate is the GPS issue, which takes about 10 minutes to lock for navigation sometimes. It can give a roundabout location right away, but it takes that long to actually lock.

Another thing that bugs me is that when I'm using it over my car stereo via an aux cable, it disables the mic, so if I'm listening to music and get a call then I have to unplug it to talk (minor inconvenience, but it also would avoid having to then plug in a hands free device, etc.)

And the other thing that's very frustrating is that it insists on adding a +1 to the beginning of one of my friends' phone numbers, someone that I (would) text frequently, and this prevents the message from being delivered for some reason. (I've wiped and restored to no avail) [EDIT: realized I had to do "factory data reset" from privacy menu, not "wipe data/factory reset" from boot utility] resolved...but for the record it's a bug the phone shouldn't have shipped with

Anyway, I'm trying to weigh them against one another so I'm just seeing if anyone that has used both can provide any advice.

Any solution to the latter 2 problems would also be appreciated. I know the GPS is a lost cause for now.

Thanks

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the +1 issue, check out the second post in this thread, and see if that helps.

The GPS issue is indeed a PITA and was almost a deal breaker for me as well. I have no idea why, but using the GPS status app seems to hurry up the lock. Once it's locked and calculated my postion, I close it and open up Maps. I turn off everything but Satellites, vs using AGPS.

Sorry, but I can't help you with the mic question issue.

I've had both phones and prefer this one personally.

Reactions: NickL1185

cptncrnch

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I actually have and use both phones...Dinc as my work phone and Samsung as my personal (yes i work at VZW) Both are rooted and loaded up with stuff...Personally I dont use the GPS much, so its not a big deal to me. I like the samsung better tho. Just feels more solid in my hand, and i like the larger screen size. The biggest advantage is the battery life. The Facinate wins everytime.

edubb11

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I had the Incredible and plugged it to my car stereo via 3.5 mm cable to aux jack on the stereo, and used it for Slacker. When calls came in it would pause Slacker and I could take the call without unplugging from the stereo. When the call ended, music would automatically resume.

Kind of missing that functionality in this phone... But the sound quality is MUCH better on the fascinate.

mejdam

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the Incredible and plugged it to my car stereo via 3.5 mm cable to aux jack on the stereo, and used it for Slacker. When calls came in it would pause Slacker and I could take the call without unplugging from the stereo. When the call ended, music would automatically resume.

Kind of missing that functionality in this phone... But the sound quality is MUCH better on the fascinate.

lol the extact thing happened to me, i answered the call without unplugging and they couldnt hear them.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
In regards to the mic issue, I wonder if one of the locale plug-in's or tweaking some of the settings in the hidden menus would affect this behavior? I'll have to play around with it and see. Honestly this isn't a problem that would affect me, but I am curious now.

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same experience as edubb11 with not being able to take calls over my car's Bluetooth while listening to a podcast or the media player. To me, it's the most annoying part of the SF but I'm hoping it will be fixed. The GPS lock issue seems better with GPS Status.

The Incredible IS "incredible" for everything EXCEPT the phone. Call quality is still poor even after Froyo. It's such a pleasure to use the Fascinate knowing that when I call comes in, I'll be able to understand the caller. I'd vote Fascinate over Incredible and can't wait to see what Froyo does for it.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the +1 issue, check out the second post in this thread, and see if that helps.

The GPS issue is indeed a PITA and was almost a deal breaker for me as well. I have no idea why, but using the GPS status app seems to hurry up the lock. Once it's locked and calculated my postion, I close it and open up Maps. I turn off everything but Satellites, vs using AGPS.

Sorry, but I can't help you with the mic question issue.

I've had both phones and prefer this one personally.

What I have found that works for the GPS problem, and I think it is actualy part of Samsungs fix - see link: http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/35451-gps-cache-bug-workaround-tested-working.html

The "cold start" setting for me improved my gps like night and day - all my other settings were already set the way described.

All the info in the link above is very informative - hope it helps as it did for me and "still" works after a month of using the fix.

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the Fascinate and the X (yea I know you wanted Inc. but keep reading :) )

I like the form factor of the Fascinate...but for a couple different reasons I switched to the X and I will be honest, I think the Fascinate still has some big issues with signal problems and optimization of Touch Wiz or the interfaces.

The X consistently has a better signal, and is faster with downloading and browsing and just plain running.

I was hoping to switch back to my fascinate later today, but because of these issues, I am choosing not to.

I have read a ton of threads where people are saying they have great call quality. Great internet this or that.

I don't live in a rural area, VZW has a good signal here..so I don't understand it...I wish it wasn't so , but for me it is...

But with all that said, Froyo 2.2 on the X still is buggy for me. Since the Fascinate runs smoother, might not have a choice but to switch back.

ocgreenmachine

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the fascinate and my wife has the incredible (which means I play with her phone extensively to teach her to use it). Here is a list of comparisons:
-battery life: fascinate has a longer battery life for some reason...my wife is constantly running down her battery and has to charge more than once a day.
-gps: I haven't had any problems getting gps lock on the fascinate, even without the gps status app...also, google navigation app has a much more polished appearance on the fascinate imo.
-ease of navigation: I am running launcher pro on my fascinate and my wife is running stock on the incredible. Love the launcher pro... As to basic UI, I find fascinate to be easier for me to navigate (menus, settings, etc...).
-screen: fascinate has a larger screen that seems to be nicer imo (brighter, crisper).
-default services: the incredible has google search integrated while the fascinate has bing... Work around is not difficult but would be nice to have the option of choosing for yourself.
-text input: the fascinate has the option of swype text. I was skeptical at first, but I really love swype now...i think I actually type faster with swype now.

I hope this helps... Only thing I really want on the fascinate to improve the experience is froyo. Definitely recommend the Fascinate over the Incredible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance