Little Help with a Big Decision

jorger81#AC

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Wife and I are VZW BB Curve users coming to the Android market. We went, without my son, to the local VZW store today and played with All the phones they got.
The Fascinate lives up to its name, however everyone I talk to is in love with the Incredible.

We both text message alot (will miss the BBM with BB) surf the web and use the internet.....

For you Fascinating owners are you happy or disappointed >? If you turned it in tell me why please.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I was really happy with the hardware, but returned the phone pending resolution of a number of nagging issues. Here they are, in order of importance:

Sidetone (when the earpiece "plays back" what the mic picks up - namely your own voice) was way too loud. I found it very distracting.

Signal strength was very low. Don't know if this is an inherent antennae issue or I just live in an area with lousy coverage.

Battery life was really poor - even with minimal use (few short phone calls and minimal e-mail/web), it barely made it through a day. I suspect this was exacerbated by the week signal where the radio reportedly increases power to compensate.

GPS would take 10 minutes or more to get a position fix.

Bing. I removed most of it, but the whole experience just rubbed me the wrong way mainly because I had "upgraded" from an iPhone to get away from CEO's dictating how I should use my phone.

Verizon bloatware, nagware and trials/demos. I felt like I was being followed around by a panhandling bum - sign up for this for $2.99 a month, sign up for that for $9.99 a month, if you want this app, it'll cost you $5...

For me, there was just too many issues to risk having to live with the phone for 2 years should they not be fixed in a software update. If 2.2 comes out and people report a good number of them are fixed, I'll buy it again.

Bottom line - great hardware, buggy bloated software.

Scrybble

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I was a long time BB user when I finally made the jump to the Fascinate--honestly, I have never been happier! I will say that it takes a little bit of time to get used to the different interface but once you do it is glorious!

As far as the previous comment about all the issues I will just say this: The phone is new and so as such, they (Samsung and Verizon) are working out the bugs. There are a number of fixes, none Verizon/Samsung available through the Android Marketplace. And finally, you are currently a VZW smartphone user--pre-installed bloatware should not be a new occurrence to you.

I don't want to sound like I am drinking the Kool-Aid here but 2 weeks with this phone have been better than 2 years with any BB I ever owned.

Final Verdict--if you have the time, the inclination, and are ready for something new and phone...make the switch!

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
For you Fascinating owners are you happy or disappointed >? If you turned it in tell me why please.

I am absolutely happy with it, and I went through a STRING (7) of bad Motorola android phones to get it. A lot of people report bugs here and there (of which I've never had an issue with- definitely don't have the audio problem, have never had a dropped call due to low signal, GPS works fine), but mine has been bugless. The battery life is pretty good (better than the Dinc, I've heard), it's so sleek, the screen is amazing, etc. I'd definitely recommend the Fascinate as I've been happy with me, with zero problems since launch day.

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I am absolutely happy with it, and I went through a STRING (7) of bad Motorola android phones to get it. A lot of people report bugs here and there (of which I've never had an issue with- definitely don't have the audio problem, have never had a dropped call due to low signal, GPS works fine), but mine has been bugless. The battery life is pretty good (better than the Dinc, I've heard), it's so sleek, the screen is amazing, etc. I'd definitely recommend the Fascinate as I've been happy with me, with zero problems since launch day.

Here here

[tapatalk on android]

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had it almost 30 days now... coming from the Tour 9630..

I am far more proficient with the BB, and I've had mixed feelings on functionality. When the Tour launched a little over two years ago, it was my first smart phone ever. I feel I've wondered into deeper water now, and again, I'm a newb. The Android platform allows for sooo much more than what I was used to on the BB.

Am I happy? Heck yeah. I love the phone. The size is a little distracting. I like the form factor of the Dinc a lot better. However, I am getting used to it, and in time, this issue won't be an issue at all.

I'm still getting used to the phone, and experimenting, etc., and I'm going to start getting into development for the phone. Overall, a good switch.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I've gone through a couple smart phones recently and have landed on the Fascinate. The phone is good. The Fascinate has fixed a lot of the issues I found in the Vibrant such as lag. My wife and I both have the phone and she loves hers. The battery life is much better than the Hero and the camera takes good pictures and has a flash. I've used the GPS with no issues once I checked the box to use Google location services. We really like Google Navigation and I was able to get a lock fast using it this weekend in San Diego.

I do think the signal strength is a bit weak at time. I have dropped from 3g to 1x a couple times. I also think the Wifi is a bit defective at times. Those are my only complaints so far. This phone is really nice so I think you'll be happy picking one up.

skimore2020

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The biggest reason that I chose the Fascinate over the Incredible was the screen size. I text a lot and I have big fingers. So, I opted for the bigger screen. I have had my phone for almost a month now and I love it.

Sitting at work I can see the phone go from 3G to 1x many times througout the day. But I have never had reception issues when I needed to make or receive a call. I have also noticed that even when it shows no "bars", I still can get emails, and make/receive calls. I don't think the graphical representation of the signal strength is quite 100%.

Overall, it is a great phone. I miss the LED notification (but can be fixed with NOLED) and the battery life of my Storm 2; but I definately do not regret my decision and I will stick with my Fascinate for a while to come.

Eulogy32

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the graphical representation of the signal strength is quite 100%.

I can verify this. I sold cell phones for 2 years for the top 3 nationwide carriers and Samsung has always under-rated their reception strength. They consistently show signal 1-2 bars lower than what they are actually receiving. It is not at all uncommon to be able to make phone calls with zero bars. It doesn't make any sense why they would under-rate themselves, but I've had to explain it to many customers that were worried about only ever seeing 1-2 bars but had never actually dropped a call.

Android_IPA

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the Fascinate and a Droid and have very good access to an Incredible. I have never had any issues with my Fascinate (ordered the day of launch), and it performs flawlessly in terms of reception and call quality. Just don't make too much of the lower bar readings.....it gets better reception than the indicator shows.

My GPS locks fine, the battery lasts longer than the Incredible with comparable use and the Fascinate's screen is easier for me to type and read on.

That being said, I don't think you can make a wrong choice with either. They are both terrific devices that are at the top of the Android food chain.

gzigoris

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Go for it. My wife and I were in the same boat. I was coming from an original Storm and she from a Palm 700. We both couldn't be happier. She told me that she loved the phone. It's so versitile. She now has the internet and I have a much faster Internet. I love the way you can trick out your phone. There are so many ways to personalize your Phone experience with the Facinate. I like the HTC flip clock so I found an APP to install it on my phone and Launcherpro,wow, now that is the APP.

Coompare the AMOLED screen to others and I think you will say it's the best. Have fun and go for the Facinate.

George and Deb:cool::eek:

jorger81#AC

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Continue to feed support, i just found out that I am not eligible for my $100extra credit (New every two) till April....BS ! Trying to work it out with VZW though. If i dont use the New every two and buy a phone now, my next upgrade is only going to be good for $50 in credit.

I shall let you all know the outcome......Thanks for all your responses it makes my decision a lil smoother I think.

jorger81#AC

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
it is actually a very big decision in the world of Smartphones.....some of become antiquated in our ways and only want things to work a certain way.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I can verify this. I sold cell phones for 2 years for the top 3 nationwide carriers and Samsung has always under-rated their reception strength. They consistently show signal 1-2 bars lower than what they are actually receiving. It is not at all uncommon to be able to make phone calls with zero bars. It doesn't make any sense why they would under-rate themselves, but I've had to explain it to many customers that were worried about only ever seeing 1-2 bars but had never actually dropped a call.

True. No bars, signal at -106dBm is atrocious, yet, I can still make and receive calls just fine. One bar on the Fascinate shows -101dBm, two bars @ -96, and so forth. The signal never shows any better than -86dBm.