what is project voodoo?

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain what this voodoo thing is? Is it separate from the froyo update? Is it something that will install via update?

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
From what I've gathered, one of the goals of project voodoo is to alter the fascinate in a way that will fix the clumsy file structure Samsung designed for the phone. The way I'm thinking of it (and I'm sure this is an oversimplification) is if you took a PC and changed your file allocation method from Fat32 to NTFS.

The idea is to take some of the lag out of the phone in day-to-day stuff. If my assessment of the voodoo goal is right, then I'm eagerly awaiting the Fascinate port. The project also has been working on some changes that will effect color rendition and screen sharpness for the Galaxy-s. I'm sure all of these changes will be available to the masses as soon as they get their issues with the kernel worked out.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm really hoping it removes all the VZ Bloatware and Bing as well so I can go buy the phone again. With all the work they're doing with color rendition and file systems, it would seem like a small additional task.

Pags

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
there really needs to be some sort of collaboration or centralized effort between these people/groups who are trying to actuate the potential of the Galaxy S phones. It's difficult trying to piece them all together while hoping that the Froyo update won't mess them up as well as rooting.

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Project Voodoo has nothing to do with rooting, bing, or Verizon's bloatware. If you want Google search instead of bing, it's an easy fix and rooting isn't required. The problem being addressed by the project is the overall slowness of the phone. The lag is caused by a clumsy file system, not by bloat. I believe voodoo will get ported to the fascinate before froyo. The developer has stated that, should this happen, the lag fix will simply be calibrated for froyo and a new version will be released.

While the hacker community seems fragmented, I think for issues like the compatibility of such lag fixes with new OS releases we can count on developers to be aware of such widespread changes.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Project Voodoo has nothing to do with rooting, bing, or Verizon's bloatware. If you want Google search instead of bing, it's an easy fix and rooting isn't required. The problem being addressed by the project is the overall slowness of the phone. The lag is caused by a clumsy file system, not by bloat.

The color calibration issue has nothing to do with the slowness of the phone, yet it's being addressed in the project, so it does have more to do with than just slowness.

Second, if the efficiency of the OS is a focus of the project, then removing bloat should absolutely be on the list of things to do.

From the reports I've read, the lag fix seems a bit dubious in that it may cause more problems than it solves. As for the color calibration thing, I never found the color rendition on the phone an issue in the first place.

Now, if it removed Bing and bloat, I would be very interested. But yea, the dev has his own opinion about what needs fixing, so...

Syntaxx

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I think part of the allure of this "fix" comes from the fact that root is not required. While I agree that removing bloat does go along with the streamlining aim of the project, that would require rooting. Having the ability to try out this lag fix without the added complication of rooting makes it, in my opinion, attractive to a broader range of users.

irishpride

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
The color calibration issue has nothing to do with the slowness of the phone, yet it's being addressed in the project, so it does have more to do with than just slowness.

Second, if the efficiency of the OS is a focus of the project, then removing bloat should absolutely be on the list of things to do.

From the reports I've read, the lag fix seems a bit dubious in that it may cause more problems than it solves. As for the color calibration thing, I never found the color rendition on the phone an issue in the first place.

Now, if it removed Bing and bloat, I would be very interested. But yea, the dev has his own opinion about what needs fixing, so...

For one, the lag fix that is out right now is not even really a fix, in fact it does more harm to your phone than good. All the fix does right now is give a fake boost to your quadrant score, its meaningless and there have been many reports of people bricking their phones while trying to uninstall it. Most of the devs working on the Fascinate strongly advise that you do not apply this fix and to just wait for Voodoo to come out, which should be sometime this weekend.

I don't think you quite understand what Voodoo is, it's not a ROM that you install on your phone, there is no kernel that will remove or change programs that are loaded on your phone. It is added to a kernel to improve the speed and overall function of the Galaxy S phones, it has nothing to do with removing bloat or replacing bing, those things are extremely simple to do once you have root. However once Voodoo is released, there will be ROMs that have the Voodoo kernel and also have bloat and bing removed.

It's only a matter of time now, I heard today that some initial issues were overcome and Voodoo is getting close to a release candidate. The true potential of the Fascinate is almost here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87