Am I nuts?

droidphreak

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok so heres the story thus far...

I've been torn between the Droid X and the Fascinate for a few weeks now. Ive had a string of "issues" with the X since August (i.e: few replacment phones). I went on tue and picked up my replacement X. After reading this forum I understand there are some issues with the Fascinate such as gps/reception and Bing (wtf Verizon) but the hackability of the phone looks more and more appealing to me. But you can never tell how you will like a phone unless you use it in the real world. So to not create a wall of text I'll endevor to get to the point.

Today I had the idea to activate a second line (well really my 4th wife has 2 lines herself) and talked to a Vzw sales person on the phone and they are sending me a Fascinate for 99 bucks! Now I get to experiment with the device and have the option of returning it for the 30 day worry free if it dosent work out. I dont plan on hacking it unless I decide to keep it. I just want to get some real world experiance with it. I know no matter what I keep, the X or the SF I am going to be hit with a $35 restock. Im ok with since i consider it renting the phone for a month.

Has anyone else ever done this or am I crazy and going to extreams to make sure im happy with my new device? Also if anyone has done this were they able to cancel the line as long as its in the 30 days WFG?

My wife is going to kill me lol.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else every done this or am I crazy and going to extreams to make sure im happy with my new device? Also if anyone has done this were they able to cancel the line as long as its in the 30 days WFG?

My wife is going to kill me lol.

I had issues with Motorolas also. Not the X, but I went through a handful of Droids. I'm glad you got a Fascinate to play with, hopefully you like it! I like it over the X in terms of appearance and simply because it's not Motorola, lol.

GPS thing CAN be fixed, it's annoying it doesn't work right away but if you download GPS Test like I did, GPS now works flawlessly for me. Bing doesn't bother me all that much, I just use the default browser and might download Opera Mini or a different browser to use instead. The lack of an LED light is kind of stupid but honestly I am in love with this phone. From March to September I had so many damn problems with Droids and I've had this phone a solid month with absolutely zero issues whatsoever, so hopefully you'll find the same!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else ever done this or am I crazy and going to extreams to make sure im happy with my new device? Also if anyone has done this were they able to cancel the line as long as its in the 30 days WFG?

Every phone I've either bought, added a line or upgraded to over the last few years, was with the intention of trying it out for 30 days. I remember when Verizon didn't charge the restocking fee to do this, but I like your comparison to "renting" it. I have canceled the extra line I added once since doing this, and didn't have any issues.

Don't forget too that if you have had that extra line for a while and don't use it anymore, the cancellation fee goes down each month you have it.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if you do decide to keep it, you'll be on the hook for $40 a month ($10 line + $30 data) for two years unless you either have a dumb phone (just the $10) or can get your hands on a dummy esn to put on the line...

as for the plan itself, it's not a bad way to try something out, plus if you keep the fascinate, you can sell the droid x for a decent price.

what i did when i switched from the x to the fascinate was find someone on craigslist that wanted to trade phones.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
as for the plan itself, it's not a bad way to try something out, plus if you keep the fascinate, you can sell the droid x for a decent price.

That's what I did. I upgraded my main line to an X and when the fascinate came out, I added a line and got it as well. Used both, sold the X and paid the ETF on the 2nd line with the proceeds. Works fine and there isn't a restocking fee because you're not returning a phone.

skipper2

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
That was a quick month rental. I had the same decision to make at 3 weeks ago. I was reading everything in all forums about both phones. I was undecided for a month until Best Buy had the Fascinate for free at the beginning of the month. That made my decision easy. Now that I have the Fascinate I love it. 2 people at work have the X and they love them but I have to say that I am glad I wound up with the X after playing around with both of them. 3 things about the X I don't like as compared to the Fascinate. 1. Hackability 2. Screen brightness/contrast looks so much better 3. SIZE.

One other thing ( I am not sure why this is ) is that some apps work on a non rooted Fascinate that will only work on the rooted X such as ShootMe for taking screen shots.

droidphreak

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it was like two days and I knew. Also what pushed me faster was the X I had developed a black spot on the screen (dead pixel). After three problematic X's I was done. Fascinate for me!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I do that with every phone that comes out. They never hit me with a restocking fee (I order online), but then again I pay full price. I'm not sure if that's why or not. Paying full price is another nice way to avoid being trapped in the "can only exchange once" rule. If something isn't right about the first phone, in the time that I have it, I just buy a new one and return the old one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC