Froyo is just around the corner

zardok

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Leaked Corp mail from samsung korea

Froyo is tested succesfully without any problem found
Froyo has Go sign from Lab and all future galaxy s line will be equiped with froyo soon as froyo implementation is ready

lemove29.jpg

lemove22.jpg

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'll take your word for it. Still doesn't mean Verizon is done testing. Each galaxy s phone has a slightly different software version.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little frightened that my phone is going to get really messed up. 2.2 wrecked the current Droid I had because it didn't install properly. I hope I have ample time to make sure my stuff is backed up before it happens. (Would it be bad if I had Launcher Pro when it installed?)

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have no intention of downloading Froyo if there is a way to stop it. I assume at some point I will HAVE to, to keep up with software and apps, but, I did not like a few of the features it added to the Motorola Droid I had. It was decent for most other stuff, but just small things here or there didn't seem to work right IMO.

Froyo came pre-installed on the Incredible as far as I know and I think that was a great phone. But with the others an OTA firmware update that changes just so many of the applications and what the phone does? The Fascinate was released without it, as was the X and Droid 1 (I think).

I am going to stick with 2.1 until a few months have gone by and all the "kinks" might have been worked out of Froyo if there are any. I like my phone the way it is now without having a bunch of the operations change.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely hold out for a few days or weeks and watch the forum for results from other users. The OTA 2.2 on the DX was anything but smooth. Still lots of problems and no word on fixes.

Also, expect to do a factory reset, and format your sdcard prior to the update for best results. Backing things up of course. sdcard can be copied to your pc, and MyBackup is a good app for backing up SMS/MMS, bookmarks, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
expect to do a factory reset, and format your sdcard prior to the update for best results.

Unfortunately, one of the only things that I like about the 2.2 update is it allows you to copy apps to the SD Card. In Zedge, for example, I have 200 favorite wallpapers, and those will all be gone if I have to reset (unless I download them all and they're on my card, which I guess I'll take the time to do).

I have an appbrain account and will definitely frequently screencap what my screens look like (considering I'll lose that ability with 2.2 as well since I'm unrooted and using ShootMe) but still.

What about paid apps? I had to reset one of my Droids and it tried to make me pay for my app again. I have 10 paid apps on this phone that I really don't want to lose.

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The Froyo update on my two Incredibles went flawlessly. All apps were synced with AppBrain and easily reinstalled....including paid apps.

I can't wait for 2.2 on our Fascinates!

Reactions: chaddymoff

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
The Froyo update on my two Incredibles went flawlessly. All apps were synced with AppBrain and easily reinstalled....including paid apps.

I can't wait for 2.2 on our Fascinates!

That's nice to hear. Maybe people with X's have been having problems and I had problems with my Droid not because of it being 2.2, but it being Motorola. I'm hopeful that my 2.2 update will run smoothly. I remember I did have appbrain when I reinstalled my apps but it told me I had to purchase the app again. If that ends up happening this time, what would I do? I certainly wouldn't want to have to repay.

douggyfern

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, one of the only things that I like about the 2.2 update is it allows you to copy apps to the SD Card. In Zedge, for example, I have 200 favorite wallpapers, and those will all be gone if I have to reset (unless I download them all and they're on my card, which I guess I'll take the time to do).

I have an appbrain account and will definitely frequently screencap what my screens look like (considering I'll lose that ability with 2.2 as well since I'm unrooted and using ShootMe) but still.

What about paid apps? I had to reset one of my Droids and it tried to make me pay for my app again. I have 10 paid apps on this phone that I really don't want to lose.

It seems to take about as long to download them as it does to set them as the wallpaper, only a few seconds. The small situation I had with downloading them all is this. If you know where most of them are in the app you are using and can download them all very quickly, like one after another, the phone starts to heat up a good deal from what I noticed.

With the "SD Card App Backup" that is SUPPOSED to be such a huge plus with the Froyo update, if I had (just for example) 50 Apps on my phone, MAYBE 4-7 of them could actually be backed up to the SD card. Unless something changed from the Froyo update on the Motorola, then barely any of the apps I had could be backed up.

Froyo was OK, but I have no intention of downloading it because the ONLY bonus I saw to having it was the ability to adjust the phone's display and sound seperately. It seemed like a lot of hype for something that IMO the biggest "operation" benefit was the new Flash Player. Adobe should put out 10.1 (or whatever it is) for 2.1 as well.

I like having the "dedicated form fields" too much to have Froyo wipe them off the phone all together. For example the blue outlined box that I am inputting text in to, will most likely disappear after the Froyo update and all that will be left is selecting the box on the page where I want to enter text, and the only thing that happens is the Swype or Android keyboard opens and I can barely see what I'm typing. At least that's how it was when I downloaded Froyo to the Motorola. It might not happen that way like it did with the Motorola, but I don't want to test it to find out.

One other HUGE bonus I like about the Fascinate Droid over the Motorola Droid is the "deleting text option". If I hold delete on the Fascinate it is pretty precise about only deleting what the cursor shows. With the Motorola, if I held delete there seemed to be some "cursor lag" IMO where the Motorola might delete an entire sentence when I am only trying to delete a couple words.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
With the "SD Card App Backup" that is SUPPOSED to be such a huge plus with the Froyo update, if I had (just for example) 50 Apps on my phone, MAYBE 4-7 of them could actually be backed up to the SD card. Unless something changed from the Froyo update on the Motorola, then barely any of the apps I had could be backed up.

Froyo was OK, but I have no intention of downloading it because the ONLY bonus I saw to having it was the ability to adjust the phone's display and sound seperately. It seemed like a lot of hype for something that IMO the biggest "operation" benefit was the new Flash Player. Adobe should put out 10.1 (or whatever it is) for 2.1 as well.

This is true. I do remember that with my D2- you really can't back up very many of them.

Will I have a choice though? I thought when 2.2 pops up on your phone you have no choice but to download it. (I'm unrooted.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech