Pre Plus to Fascinate

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm sick of my Pre Plus and I'm 99% sure I'll be upgrading when my next paycheck comes in.

Picking between the Droid X and Fascinate is very hard but the better camera quality in low light and unlocked bootloader makes up for the shortcomings.

The biggest issue I'm worried about is the GPS. The Palm Pre Plus was my first smartphone and I was super excited to be able to use all of the GPS apps but Verizon cripples the Pre's GPS so that hardly ever happened. I keep reading comments about the Fascinate having issues with GPS. Please tell me this has been 100% fixed as I don't want to have to deal with a crippled phone again.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
it has not been fixed 100%, but is supposedly going to be fixed with 2.2... on the other hand, I haven't had tooo many issues with the gps, but sometimes it can take a while to lock onto a signal.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
It's not crippled in any way. Verizon used to block the GPS for everything but it's VZNavigator on their phones. Anyway, the GPS does take some time to lock. On my phone it takes about a minute, then the rest of the day it's almost instant.

I say go for the Fascinate over the X, but I'm biased :)

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I havent had any problems with GPS, been using Google search and it works fine. Love the phone.
BTW Best Buy is having the Fascinate as one of their Free Phone Friday promotions. FREE!!!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the gps isn't crippled, it just takes abnormally long to lock on. there are work arounds for it, and it's supposed to be fixed in froyo.

all apps on the phone can use the GPS.

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
One more question...

How is the audio quality in videos shot with the Fascinate. I know the Droid X has 3 mica and the fascinate doesn't and need to know if it is that much worse.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm sick of my Pre Plus and I'm 99% sure I'll be upgrading when my next paycheck comes in.

Picking between the Droid X and Fascinate is very hard but the better camera quality in low light and unlocked bootloader makes up for the shortcomings.

The biggest issue I'm worried about is the GPS. The Palm Pre Plus was my first smartphone and I was super excited to be able to use all of the GPS apps but Verizon cripples the Pre's GPS so that hardly ever happened. I keep reading comments about the Fascinate having issues with GPS. Please tell me this has been 100% fixed as I don't want to have to deal with a crippled phone again.

-- Sent from my Palm Pr

i went into verizon because my gps simply did not work, I told them i thought it was faulty, they checked it out and the tech guy said its fine. I was like why doesn't it work then. He asked if i was using google maps and nav and i said yeah. He proceeded to tell me that for some reason it doesn't work with that (he couldn't tell me why), but i could use vzw navigator. That's when i traded it in for the incredible

I was between the x and the incredible, but i simply liked sense over motoblur. Plus the bootloader isn't locked in case i want to do some future modding. I was under the impression while there that vzw makes it more difficult to use google nav on anything other than a phone off of the "droid" line up

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i went into verizon because my gps simply did not work, I told them i thought it was faulty, they checked it out and the tech guy said its fine. I was like why doesn't it work then. He asked if i was using google maps and nav and i said yeah. He proceeded to tell me that for some reason it doesn't work with that (he couldn't tell me why), but i could use vzw navigator. That's when i traded it in for the incredible

I was between the x and the incredible, but i simply liked sense over motoblur. Plus the bootloader isn't locked in case i want to do some future modding. I was under the impression while there that vzw makes it more difficult to use google nav on anything other than a phone off of the "droid" line up

if you had the fasciante and that's what the tech told you, he's an idiot.

and wrong.

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the Fascinate today since Best Buy has it offered for "Free Phone Friday". I want wait my brother is going to upgrade too. Hopefully we both get lucky and have no GPS issues.

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
if you had the fasciante and that's what the tech told you, he's an idiot.

and wrong.

i know he was, but i was tired of arguing with verizon at that point and i find myself much happier with the dinc anyway.

*Edit im still convinced i just got a lemon. The fascinate is a great phone, i just had a poor experience.