I have not been able to find any recent posts of anyone traveling with the Fascinate. I will be accross the country for the next 6 days.

When traveling I rely on my phone for ALL communication. The Blackberry I had was 'adequate' but I look forward to puting this phone to the test.

It will be nice to have a wifi enabled phone for a change.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences traveling with the Fascinate?
    11-02-2010 06:29 AM
    Only issue I had was if you are running Navigator (GPS ON) AND the screen is ON, even plugged into a charger it will still drain the battery. It just doesn't charge fast enough to make up for all the power being used sometimes.

EDIT: But on the positive side, my sister's Iphone3 (I think she's on T-Mobile) kept losing service and I never did, but that's a Verizon thing and not-so-much a Fascinate thing. This was on the east side of Texas.
    11-02-2010 06:55 AM
    Why use VZ Navigator when you have google maps with navigation?

My main suggestion if you are going to be using the phone for traveling is make sure you do regular tower updates from the phone so you can be update to avoid roaming issues. *228 then option 2 (provided it hasn't changed since last month...) will update your phone for the towers, bad hold music and a reboot and you should be good for a little while longer.

Enjoy your trip
    11-02-2010 06:59 AM
    I've traveled with mine. Used navigation the entire time. I just always keep it plugged in while driving. Signal is fairly good everywhere.

Oh, check out tripit if you are flying.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    11-02-2010 07:36 AM
    Keep the brightness down while using nav and the battery will be OK. I actually put mine on the little instrument ledge on the dash so it was shaded; I have the zagg shield on the back so it stuck to the instrument plastic really well in the rental (a 2010 jetta) and it worked out great. I never bothered with a *228 and I am pretty sure it's paranoia to do it every time you change states. My coverage and speeds were better once I got away from the area I last did a *228 (ohio)...
    11-02-2010 07:42 AM
    Why use VZ Navigator when you have google maps with navigation?
    I was talking about Google Navigator. My screen was at less than half brightness and it still drained the battery when plugged in.

Also, you may want to do the Navigation volume fix recently posted.
    11-02-2010 08:55 AM
    Wrapping up a 5 day tour of Seattle and the Fascinate is holding up pretty well... Got a lot of forced closes for LP+. Running minimum apps (google maps). Not sure what that was all about.

GPS issues abound. Waiting for a satelite fix averaged 4 minutes.. On a ferry to Bainbridge.. had me 65 feet underwater.

Wifi hotspots prevelent so no problem there. and shotmaybe 150 pics.. good to excellent quality. Night shooting is horrid.

25+ phone calls no drops. Still issues with voice feedback and next to a bus stop.. forget a conversation.. just turn the phone off.

Overall keeper of a phone, just fix the damned GPS, and the mic issue..
    11-07-2010 09:13 AM
    Wrapping up a 5 day tour of Seattle and the Fascinate is holding up pretty well... Got a lot of forced closes for LP+. Running minimum apps (google maps). Not sure what that was all about.

GPS issues abound. Waiting for a satelite fix averaged 4 minutes.. On a ferry to Bainbridge.. had me 65 feet underwater.

Wifi hotspots prevelent so no problem there. and shotmaybe 150 pics.. good to excellent quality. Night shooting is horrid.

25+ phone calls no drops. Still issues with voice feedback and next to a bus stop.. forget a conversation.. just turn the phone off.

Overall keeper of a phone, just fix the damned GPS, and the mic issue..
    I know it's a cop out but have you tried running an app like gps test to speed up the gps lock? I have noticed that unless I am turning the gps on for the first time after a reboot, using gps test somehow forces the lock-in process and it goes a LOT faster. As a habit now i just launch the app before launching google maps or any other nav program, and it gets locked in almost immediately. I also rarely turn the GPS off, and haven't noticed measureable impact on battery life (unless the phone's measurements are flawed).
    11-07-2010 09:42 AM
    Yeah, I had GPS Status app running before each map use.. That is the only way I could confirm I had a satelite fix. It only helped a couple of times then it was back to the rirgor of a wait. I had the GPS on for almost 6 hours and in the mix of taking pictures running some emails out with attatchments the phone sponaneously shut down and rebooted... opted to keep the GPS off after that. Given this only happened one time compared to the Blackberry Storm I (Early OS) I had (reboots every 4 hours) - this one time in the past 40 days is acceptable. Just inconvienent.
    11-07-2010 02:35 PM
    Yeah, I had GPS Status app running before each map use.. That is the only way I could confirm I had a satelite fix. It only helped a couple of times then it was back to the rirgor of a wait. I had the GPS on for almost 6 hours and in the mix of taking pictures running some emails out with attatchments the phone sponaneously shut down and rebooted... opted to keep the GPS off after that. Given this only happened one time compared to the Blackberry Storm I (Early OS) I had (reboots every 4 hours) - this one time in the past 40 days is acceptable. Just inconvienent.
    I am gritting my teeth thinking about the trade offs from the trusty ol storm... My wife still uses my old one; yesterday she took it off charger at 7am and at 10pm (15 hours later) the battery was still above 90%. She only did a few calls/emails/txts mind you, but it's still a lot better than anything I can hope for out of my fascinate.
    11-08-2010 08:29 AM
    you may want to do the Navigation volume fix recently posted.
    I quickly searched just now and could not find it. I used GPS yesterday and had to put in an earbud at the highest volume and still could barely hear it, so could someone direct me to where this was posted? It would be super helpful!
    11-08-2010 09:28 AM
    I quickly searched just now and could not find it. I used GPS yesterday and had to put in an earbud at the highest volume and still could barely hear it, so could someone direct me to where this was posted? It would be super helpful!
    Here it is: http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...-volume-3.html

Its post #27
    packerbacker likes this.
    11-08-2010 11:33 AM
    Thanks a LOT!!
    11-08-2010 01:33 PM
    Early October I went from Seattle to Philly with no problems. Time zones changed automatically and my coverage was fine, no issues. Didnt try wifi except in the airport and it picked up the network quickly. I used GPS throughout Philly and other than the known GPS lag, it was spot on.

I have not been able to find any recent posts of anyone traveling with the Fascinate. I will be accross the country for the next 6 days.

When traveling I rely on my phone for ALL communication. The Blackberry I had was 'adequate' but I look forward to puting this phone to the test.

It will be nice to have a wifi enabled phone for a change.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences traveling with the Fascinate?
    11-08-2010 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD