Android 2.2 for Fascinate

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
If this consistently works - using the built-in GPS chip (not A-GPS) - and you're able to use it reliably for real time turn-by-turn directions, I'm extremely envious of you.

Yeah, it always works. Approx. 1 minute every time.
I leave Google GPS turned on and Standalone GPS at all times.
Maybe it helps, I don't know.

[tapatalk on android]

xgunther

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
At least with crap iOS, you know that you'll be getting it with everyone else. I think the major problem with android is that there are way too many devices being released.

I know that competition is essential, and I love seeing the newest and coolest device, but for a manufacturer like Samsung, they seem to be only invested in future devices, and not with the current ones.

It'd be great if the manufacturers and google, to an extent, could work on implementation of sustainability in the OS and the skins/manufacturer UI, so that future android updates could be pushed a lot more efficiently.

In the case of Samsung, this may be their downfall. Of course, the average consumer is too ignorant to care?maybe that's what Samsung counts on..

My 2 cents.

xgunther

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
If this consistently works - using the built-in GPS chip (not A-GPS) - and you're able to use it reliably for real time turn-by-turn directions, I'm extremely envious of you.
On a side note: I have never had an issue with GPS. It locks immediately in all apps, including navigation.

This is obviously a hardware specific issue. I would exchange for a new one if I had this issue since I rely heavily on GPS and navigation.

ocgreenmachine

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah - that doesn't help me. Even if that were a workaround, I travel constantly and end up shutting it off when on the plane :/

Thanks for all your responses though.

Hrm... I've noticed that when I turn on airplane mode, gps remains on... so I assume that it shouldn't affect you even if you travel a bunch... Not sure about actually turning the phone off, but I've never had any problems locking to satellites... Only when I actually toggle the gps off. Hope that helps.

fwdixon

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Blizzard is second fiddle in the "Soon" department. Cornered Rat Software, the makers of WWIIOL (World War II Online), shall forever been known as the GODS of soon. It started before they even released the game in 2001.

But to the OP I would guess sometime before 2012. LOL

lmao, That was exactly what I thought when I read that.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I know that this is a little off topic, but it has been mentioned in this thread so here goes:

I have a suspicion that the GPS "no-lock" problem may not be much of a problem at all. Here is why I say this:

A few weeks back I heard Gerry from the podcast mention that it is ok to leave GPS on all the time because it will not waste battery unless a specific application uses it. I put on the GPS and left it like this until this Wednesday. I was driving and got lost, so I fired up my maps and routed to where I need to go. Problem was that I could not get a lock. I left it like that for over 10 minutes, in the car, with no obstructions, no lock.

I found where I had to go by accident, and I was annoyed when I got there, so i turned off the navigation, cleared the map, and turned off GPS. I then went back into maps and turned on GPS from within Google Maps. Wouldn't you know, I got an almost instantaneous GPS lock.

So my question is:
Do you guys think that GPS must be off, then turned on at the start of navigation for it to get a quick lock?

And to the OP, sorry I am not trying to hijack this thread, I just got excited about my theory.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've never had any issues with my GPS. I've used it a lot for turn by turn, etc., and it's always locked within a couple mins at most.

Yeah, it always works. Approx. 1 minute every time.
I leave Google GPS turned on and Standalone GPS at all times.
Maybe it helps, I don't know.

[tapatalk on android]

On a side note: I have never had an issue with GPS. It locks immediately in all apps, including navigation.

This is obviously a hardware specific issue. I would exchange for a new one if I had this issue since I rely heavily on GPS and navigation.

How long have you guys had yours, and what does it say for hardware version in your about screen?

sahmad88

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am just silly, but I just want the headphone jack on my car dock to finally work. I am really hoping that froyo will magically make that work like it is supposed to make the jack on the desktop cradle. Call me a simple gal, but that is all I am looking for right now.

ocgreenmachine

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Check my reply to the gps post... I mentioned my experiences regarding leaving gps on all the time vs turning it on when you are about to use an app that requires it. My hardware version is i500.04 and i've had mine about almost 2 months.

ocgreenmachine

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am just silly, but I just want the headphone jack on my car dock to finally work. I am really hoping that froyo will magically make that work like it is supposed to make the jack on the desktop cradle. Call me a simple gal, but that is all I am looking for right now.

How is the dock different than using a cable that plugs into the auxiliary jack on your radio? I haven't seen a car dock firsthand but I run pandora and google navigation using that cable and it plays through my speakers superbly.

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Check my reply to the gps post... I mentioned my experiences regarding leaving gps on all the time vs turning it on when you are about to use an app that requires it. My hardware version is i500.04 and i've had mine about almost 2 months.

I leave my GPS on at all times.
Standalone and Google GPS.

i500.04 is my hardware version as well.

[tapatalk on android]

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't use either dock, but that's a great reason to want 2.2.

[tapatalk on android]

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Check my reply to the gps post... I mentioned my experiences regarding leaving gps on all the time vs turning it on when you are about to use an app that requires it.

Yeah - that doesn't help me. Even if that were a workaround, I travel constantly and end up shutting it off when on the plane :/

Thanks for all your responses though.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've actually found that GPS status does help if you download the assistance data before using a maps application.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
How is the dock different than using a cable that plugs into the auxiliary jack on your radio? I haven't seen a car dock firsthand but I run pandora and google navigation using that cable and it plays through my speakers superbly.

The dock just uses the USB port, not the aux jack, so audio travels through that, and that functionality is supposed to be unlocked with 2.2

sahmad88

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I have wondered what it is that makes it different. That makes sense. Frustrating still. Thanks for responding to that. All I would have been able to say was "I don't know, but it won't."

The dock just uses the USB port, not the aux jack, so audio travels through that, and that functionality is supposed to be unlocked with 2.2

Chrisvklein

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
whats the technological barrier when attempting to download and add 2.2 or 2.3 or 3.0 for that matter, from the open handset alliance, and install it?

denzillion

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
My GPS works fine too. It takes like 1 min to lock on to on the clear day, standing still. While on motion, takes like 2 or 3 mins - which I think its par with those stand alone GPS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol