Android 2.2 for Fascinate

Chrisvklein

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is playing this update from the Blizzard Entertainment playbook:

SOON

from wowwiki.com/soon:
Soon: Copyright 2004-2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

Reactions: CR4V3 and Chaos5

bilbotn

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is playing this update from the Blizzard Entertainment playbook:

SOON

from wowwiki.com/soon:
Soon: Copyright 2004-2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

Blizzard is second fiddle in the "Soon" department. Cornered Rat Software, the makers of WWIIOL (World War II Online), shall forever been known as the GODS of soon. It started before they even released the game in 2001.

But to the OP I would guess sometime before 2012. LOL

denzillion

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I am disappointed with Samsung and this Froyo thing. We are already talking about Gingerbread and here we are, top-of-the-line Samsung (for now) is still running on 2.1. WTF!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm growing increasingly impatient. Although, I had my suspicions the day I bought the Fascinate - that based on their track record this would - and choose to buy it anyway. If nothing else, they need to do a maintenance update to fix the GPS issue. There is absolutely no reason for them to roll that into Froyo.

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Cory and the rest. This update is turning out to be a case of too little too late. I do want it to work without bugs and glitches, but it is important to remember that this is a to of the line phone. I think we are getting treated pretty poorly. Premium devices should have Froyo, and should be waiting on Gingerbread. (yes I know that Gingerbread has not been officially announced yet, I'm just saying)

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
About the GPS issue: I noticed the other day, after I had done an Odin /System restore, that Waze picked up my location in less than 5 minutes! Before, it took anywhere from 10-15 minutes before I could get a GPS lock in either Google Maps or Waze.

One thing to note, when the DI01 update was originally pushed out, my Facinate was rooted and "lag fixed". The update thew out a couple errors, but my About screen appeared as if it was applied. Yet, after the Odin restore, I re-ran the software update - no root or lagfix, with no errors.

While I haven't read much into the DI01 update results from other users, I'm curious if those having GPS problems should try the update again, after returning to stock, if rooted.

With that said, my latest GPS results was from only one attempt. I'm about to step out for a break and test it again. Also, my Fascinate is still not rooted. I'm just going to wait for Froyo, if it's

Last edited:

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Froyo will be nice. Don't get me wrong, but Froyo isn't what i want most on the Fascinate. I need them to fix my GPS. Otherwise i'm happy (coming from a Froyo incredible).

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I am disappointed with Samsung and this Froyo thing. We are already talking about Gingerbread and here we are, top-of-the-line Samsung (for now) is still running on 2.1. WTF!

Yeah, Froyo seems like a thing of the past now. I look at my original Droid running 2.2 and it seems ancient. Not that there are a ton of visible changes in 2.2, it would just be nice to run the latest OS on the latest phones.

jokerls240

Nov 10, 2009
www.facebook.com
So I just tested GPS in Google Maps and Waze. Maps couldn't get a fix within 2 minutes but Waze had my location in much less time. Makes you wonder what algorithm each one uses to locate satellites.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Call me a cynic, but my experience with VZW has been that the phone you get is the phone you buy. In other words, you cannot expect any support or updating at all. I'm still quite happy with the Fascinate, so it's not a big issue, but VZW's hardware support is almost criminally poor and has been for every phone I've ever owned with them (and my account goes back twenty years, although the older phones weren't firmware-upgradeable).

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have to disagree, because my D1 seemed like it got updated very quickly. I think that is the exception, not the rule, unfortunately.

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Froyo is over rated.
Seriously.
The only thing my Fascinate doesn't do is Flash.
As far as the GPS goes, I just opened Google Maps prior to responding and requested my location..
Stop watch confirmed- 59 seconds to lock. Mind you, GMaps estimated my position immediately and was fairly accurate given it was just an approximation.
I would rather use my Fascinate then my Droid 1 or Incredible any day of the week.
[tapatalk on android]

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Froyo is a Tad more than just flash.
Does your phone also have apps2sd?
(That I don't find necessary but is a cool feature especially cuz when you flash a rom data wipe wont get 'em)
Does your phone have the JIT compiler too?

There's a few more things, go look them up.

But I am curious to see what's in gingerbread

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

egg_head

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Froyo is a Tad more than just flash.
Does your phone also have apps2sd?
(That I don't find necessary but is a cool feature especially cuz when you flash a rom data wipe wont get 'em)
Does your phone have the JIT compiler too?

There's a few more things, go look them up.

But I am curious to see what's in gingerbread

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Yeah, yeah. I'm no noob.

What I'm trying to say is, compared to two other Android devices that I own, the Fascinate is still superior even with 2.1.

The only "disadvantage" is the fact it doesn't have Flash.

Apps2SD is not a big deal. I'm no where near my storage limit and Titanium keeps things backed up and a simple restore gets back anything I lose during a ROM change.

JIT may minimize performance degradation during code execution, but from a real world perspective, I don't expect my non-VooDoo Fascinate to run any quicker outside of benchmark evaluations.

When my Incredible went from 2.1 to 2.2 I saw no major gains in performance or reliability.

Everyone's needs are different though. There are plenty of Froyo advocates out there.

[tapatalk on android]

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
As far as the GPS goes, I just opened Google Maps prior to responding and requested my location..
Stop watch confirmed- 59 seconds to lock. Mind you, GMaps estimated my position immediately and was fairly accurate given it was just an approximation.

If this consistently works - using the built-in GPS chip (not A-GPS) - and you're able to use it reliably for real time turn-by-turn directions, I'm extremely envious of you.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never had any issues with my GPS. I've used it a lot for turn by turn, etc., and it's always locked within a couple mins at most.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad