trouble receiving picture messages

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
noticed it a few days ago when my wife sent me pics that i never got but other people she sent them to did get so i know it isn't her phone

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I did have that happen to me when I first got the phone, but it would depend on who sent the pics. From some people I would receive them fine, from others not at all.

I did a *228, then option 2. It updated my phone to use the best towers (or whatever it does). After that it started working. I read just a couple days ago that MMS will often fail if the reception is poor.

Last edited:

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It's a known issue. I have posted before but got no respond. I'm glad someone else is having the same problem. If you are using handsent that could be the problem(actually I know 99 percent that handcent is the problem). When I have pictures to send I use the stock and so far that has been reliable. There has been time where handcent wont deliver a simple text too. So ya, I'm having this problem too.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
...If you are using handsent that could be the problem(actually I know 99 percent that handcent is the problem).

It's funny you mention Handcent, because the one one person I could never receive messages from, now sends double pic messages. Other MMS's come in as 1 pic message (well, as a video), but the whenever the person with Handcent sends me a pic it comes in twice.

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I've had trouble with not receiving picture messages (MMS) as well. I do have Handcent. Going to uninstall it and do some testing.

I'm also having trouble with double texts coming in.

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
OK....after doing a little testing, I've found that my troubles with doubles messages coming in, and not receiving MMS seem to be related to third party apps.

I had Handcent and had these troubles. Uninstalled it, ran stock and got all my MMS messages, and no double SMS.

I then installed Chomp SMS, and the problems started again. Uninstalled it.

Heard about a new app called GO SMS, installed it, same problems. Uninstalled it and now back on stock.

I really wish someone would figure out the fix for this because I really NEED to customize the font....in my old age, I have a hard time seeing the little letters on the stock messaging app. The bonus is setting a separate notification tone for certain people. Then I know if I need to grab my phone quickly based on who it is.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't done a lot of research/testing but I can say that since using the DJ05 update with the JT rom, my double/failed message problem went away*. I never and still dont use any fancy txting apps like handcent so I think the problem lies within the DI01 firmware of the phone.

*In-provider MMS has stopped working but this is a known issue with the version of the mms tool installed with the rom. Whats weird is out-of-provider MMSes still come in fine.

LaFinDuMonde

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I have also experienced these issues. BUT I have noticed that when I have 3G Data or am on Wifi, the images do not come through. If I turn Wifi off and 3G Data, the images come through with no problems.

Has anyone else tried this?

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I have also experienced these issues. BUT I have noticed that when I have 3G Data or am on Wifi, the images do not come through. If I turn Wifi off and 3G Data, the images come through with no problems.

Has anyone else tried this?

I'm confused....if you turn off wifi and 3g, you have no trouble getting MMS messages? Is that what you're saying?

Also, to follow up on my testing....I'm still on stock messaging app, no longer receiving double texts, but am still not always receiving MMS.

LaFinDuMonde

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
No. What I am saying is if I turn on Data and 3G (and turn wifi off) I can receive them. But if I am on wifi (and have the data connection and 3G turned off), I can not.

LaFinDuMonde

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I've recently switched to GO SMS. When pix messages come in, they wait there until I turn 3G on to receive them unlike the stock messaging which does not give me the option to download the images later.

Jim