HELP! Google search breaks intermittently!?

blindianish

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
(This is long, but doesn't really make any sense, so I had to be specific.)

I got my Verizon Fascinate a couple weeks ago, rooted it and applied the full Google search fix (tap Search & hold Search) per the awesome instructions here, and everything's been working perfectly... until now :(

I recently installed a couple of other apps like Beautiful Widgets, JuiceDefender, and JuicePlotter. They are all working ok as well, however, I noticed today that when I FIRST press the Search button, it searches through Google, but if I press it again (while looking at the search results)... the next search routes through Bing!? (This part is not such a big deal, as once my initial Google search comes up, I can use the Google search bar inside the browser for my next search...) BUT I played around w/it and figured out that as long as I have a browser session open, the dedicated Search button on the phone routes through Bing!? Wtf, I swear it wasn't doing this before. If I use the Search button from scratch (from the home screen, in an application, even if I have a browser window running but minimized) it goes through Google like it's supposed to (well, it's not 'supposed' to, but you know what I mean) ;) - but it's only good for ONE search! After that, if I'm browsing the web or whatever, the Search button uses Bing. In fact it SAYS "www.google..." in the address bar when it first starts loading the search, but then it CHANGES to "search.vzwwap..." and lands at BING?!? Annoying!

What happened?? I noticed that out of the several apps I downloaded/installed JuiceDefender is the only that accessed SuperUser permissions, so I'm wondering if that "broke" it somehow. (Before that, only Root Explorer accessed SuperUser, and everything worked fine to my knowledge.) The tough part is that I don't remember the last time I used Google search BEFORE installing other crap, so I have no insight as to what could've caused the problem or when it started. Do I need to uninstall the additional app(s), un-root it, re-root it and start over?!? I'm this close to wiping it (however you do that...) and starting over bc it worked SO BEAUTIFULLY when I first brought it home, rooted it, and Google-fied it!

Any insight would be appreciated, if you can hear yourself think over all my whining :p

-Brandy

blindianish

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Nevermind

Aw crap, nevermind... apparently it does that for everyone, but I just didn't know it until I found this thread somewhere else...

-------------------------------
Hi all,

I successfully replaced Bing Voice search by rooting and renaming the bing search app, and the google widget routes through google just fine.

However, when I open the browser and type something in the URL bar (not the search bar) like "test" (not an actual URL), it redirects me through the VERIZON/BING search all the same.

Is this happening with you as well? I don't want to use the Dolphin browser if I dont have to.

---------------------------------

Happens to me too. I think its because the Browser has been sort of customized by Samsung/Verizon. It is lacking features that the default browser in my HTC Incredible or my friend's Droid X has, as well.

So if that's the way it's worked since I first rooted it, maybe I didn't notice.

-------------------------------------------

If that is the case, then perhaps it was working that way all along, but I just didn't notice...?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech