Update coming... but not 2.2?

alans79

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone ever visit androidforums.com ? There's an interesting link there where someone mentions an update coming BEFORE 2.2. Also lists a bunch of fixes.

Update coming, but not 2.2 - Android Forums

from the link....

EDIT:
Ok here is the list of fixes for the update. Pretty nice list.

Software Changes ? i500.DJ05

1) Added a GPS icon in the status bar on the top of the screen
2) Added updated versions of the preloaded applications VOD, City ID, VZ Navigator and Amazon Kindle
3) Added support to update the software using FOTA when connected to WiFi.
4) Enhancements were made in the software to improve the accuracy of the signal strength that is displayed
5) You can now change the reminder time and alert tone for calendar events
6) Enhancements were made to improve the update consistency of the feed and widgets
7) Improvements were made to the contact merge capabilities so that the same number from two sources will not be saved in a signal contact twice
8) Addressed an issue that was causing a ?Force Close? when accessing the Gallery in some cases
9) A software change was made to address an issue with Bluetooth and connecting with the Mercedes Benz AMG C63, 2009 model were in some cases it would get stuck in a ?Connect?Ready? loop which required the user to have to power cycle the device to correct
10) A UI change was made to the Visual Voicemail long press menu to move delete to the 2nd position
11) A UI change was made to the Visual Voicemail display to remove the date for messages displayed as today
12) I you unplug a wired headset or turning off a Bluetooth headset while playing music the music will now pause
13) The Visual Voicemail login screen now uses the full qwerty keypad
14) Improvements were made to the standalone GPS performance
15) The device warning message that is displayed when setting up the device the first time will now tell customer the device will reboot after the OTA activation
16) A UI change was made to the lock screen alignment when the EAS security is invoked
17) The setting under applications called ?Unknown Sources? has been change to off by default
18) The power on password has been changed to require 8 digits with 1 number and 1 symbol
19) A UI change was made to the ?Share? menu when in portrait mode so that the screen can be scrollable in order to see the top row of selections
20) A UI change was made so that the ?Save? and ?Cancel? buttons are viewable when entering in a new password for the 3G mobile Hotspot feature.
21) Added support to hide the 3G Mobile Hotspot password while typing it in for security
22) You can now sync corporate contacts with the 2010 Toyota Prius Bluetooth car kit
23) You can now open PDF attachments sent in an e-mail. Previously you could only save them and then open them up outside of e-mail
24) You can now use special characters for your Corporate e-mail passwords
25) The backlight for the bottom 4 buttons (menu, home, back ,search) will now follow the device display timer setting
26) Addressed an issue were widgets were not always refreshing based on the defined refresh time interval
27) A software change was made so that when doing a factory reset that MDN, MIN and SID information is properly cleared
28) Addressed an issue seen in some cases when on an active data call that the data call is suspended causing the user to have to restart the data call to reconnect again
29) Addressed an issue were you could in some cases get a ?Force Close? message if you hit the ?Call? button on the Buddies now widget

EDIT2: I'm told that the current testing on this is set to end on 11/29 so this could possibly be out at the beginning of December.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
How about that #25. That will be a nice change. I'm skeptical however as I didn't see a source for this info. Could be a "nice to have" list someone typed up.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
At this juncture I could not care less about froyo or 2.2 or whatever it is being called. There are a few bells and whistles, included in the update that will placate the whiners out there. Just fix the GPS lock issue, and I am happy.

It does not however appear to address that issue directly.

There is quite a list of (fixes) that address items that I do not use (nor will ever use).

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This post makes me feel even better about my Black Friday purchase plan. :)
I just want the GPS to work correctly as when the next must have LTE phone comes out the Fascinate will be the wifes phone. I want GPS to work correctly just incase she has to call 911 and they have to get a fix on her.

BKVic

BKVic

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
2.2 is pushed to next year now.

i'm really going to have a new phone before verizon and samsung get off their butts and release an update. :(

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the email pdf fix and the headset music fix :)

This means 2.2 probably won't be here until at least the very end of december...

sent from Epic 4G via Tapatalk

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Did I miss a fix for not being able to select Google as your default calendar when creating an event?!?!?!

Come on Verizon and Samsung

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This list looks like it will address all of the issues I'm concerned about, that's nice.

Consider the possibility that you may never see Froyo on this phone. Can you say "When will BlackBerry OS 6 be available on a Blackberry Storm 2?"

No new OS means if you want the new OS, you have to get another phone.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
They did release OS5 for the 9530 within a week of the 9550 hitting the shelves. To my knowledge, Verizon doesn't carry any OS6 phones yet so that would be why the 9550 wont see it for a bit.

As it has been stated though, I could care less about 2.2 aside from the novelty of having something new again. Just fix the GPS and I'm fine with what I have.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

emptycube

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I just had the Gallery force close thing happen to me so that fix will be nice. AFAIC, they 'promised' froyo before the end of 2010 so it's looking more and more that in 2 years I won't be a Verizon customer.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm disappointed in 2.2 being pushed yet again.. but I have this phone until my upgrade is due. Considering I got this on September 10th, I'm thinking that's not going to be until March of 2012.

nmyeti

May 22, 2010
Visit site
these fixes are great and all, but Verizon needs to keep up with timely updates for these phones. It shouldn't take an act of God to get them to release a working GPS fix and or a new OS update.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
This list looks like it will address all of the issues I'm concerned about, that's nice.

Consider the possibility that you may never see Froyo on this phone. Can you say "When will BlackBerry OS 6 be available on a Blackberry Storm 2?"

No new OS means if you want the new OS, you have to get another phone.

Open source to the rescue, right? Someone can just make a froyo update using the google source code and the phone specific binaries from samsung...

hah lol i had you going there for a minute didn't i?

But seriously, there will be a froyo update for this phone; they aren't going to stop selling it any time soon and the hardware specs are there. The mess over in the blackberry world with OS6 is just as much RIMs fault as it is Verizons; at least on this side of the fence we have the software/hardware vendors publishing the code it just needs rubber stamped by verizon. Consider this, there are still OS updates (unofficial but fully working) that are releasing for the Storm 1...

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I think we'll get froyo eventually but don't be surprised if it's the last update we get. I have to say I don't think the Fascinate is that bad a phone. It's got some warts but all phones are that way. If you really want the latest updates it seems you should get the Nexus One since it seems to get every update first. I expect the next Nexus device will get the same treatment too.

CR4V3

Neighborhood IT Pro
Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I think we'll get froyo eventually but don't be surprised if it's the last update we get. I have to say I don't think the Fascinate is that bad a phone. It's got some warts but all phones are that way. If you really want the latest updates it seems you should get the Nexus One since it seems to get every update first. I expect the next Nexus device will get the same treatment too.

You said it better then I ever could. I really like the Fascinate, that's why I went out of my to get one. I just wish Samsung or Verizon (whoever's holding up the updates) would get their act together and release 2.2. There's no reason for a lag behind the other Galaxy S phones.

As far as the Nexus One goes, if they released one on Verizon I, and I'm sure many others, would have bought it.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
You said it better then I ever could. I really like the Fascinate, that's why I went out of my to get one. I just wish Samsung or Verizon (whoever's holding up the updates) would get their act together and release 2.2. There's no reason for a lag behind the other Galaxy S phones.

As far as the Nexus One goes, if they released one on Verizon I, and I'm sure many others, would have bought it.

You can bet it's Verizon... "hay, google, why bing no work!!?? samsung?? anyone? halp! microsucks contract is million$$SSSZZZ!!!"

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I really hope that Google undoes the whole System Apps thing so that it's easier to get ride of vendor bloat and they can't bake their crappy into the core OS. I killed of Bing entirely and the idea of having to redo that effort really sucks.