Fascinate will not take 911 in contact information

ranl911

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Fascinate (SCH-1500 - Kernel 2.6.29/Build SCH-1500.D101/FW 2.1-update1) and I cannot add any contact information that contains the number 911 (or 9-1-1). This would be in the name, email or company name fields. This happens when trying to add the contact to the phone to either Google or the Phone itself. I think that this is either a 2.1 issue or Samsung/Verizon issue as I've tried it on a Droid and HTC Incredible (both 2.2) and it will take the contact. I have 2 co-workers with Fascinates and can duplicate this issue on their phones, and another that has a Galaxy S device (running a rooted 2.1 on AT&T) that it doesn't happen to.

Would anyone that has rooted their phone try to add a contact that has 911 in the name or a Company Name of "Test 911 Company" or an email address of "test@test911.com" (made up not actual names) or know (or even suspect) if 2.2 will take care of this, if not I'll have to change phones - the majority of my contacts work or have 911 in their contact/email/company information.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can say that I am not able to duplicate this issue. Before I was rooted I had multiple contacts that had the numbers "911" in their number and was able to include them in my contacts without any issues. Now that I am rooted this continues to be a non-issue for me.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Tried a test of this on my rooted phone by creating a new contact named "911 test" and I received the error "Emergency number cannot be added"

This is not really an issue for me since I don't have any contacts like this but I do understand it could be quite a problem for others.

ranl911

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Tried a test of this on my rooted phone by creating a new contact named "911 test" and I received the error "Emergency number cannot be added"

This is not really an issue for me since I don't have any contacts like this but I do understand it could be quite a problem for others.

Thanks for checking! I actually rooted my phone yesterday, but it didn't change anything either.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Okay so I just tried this again with a new contact and now I can confirm this does happen under certain circumstances with 911 in the number and/or contact name.

Have you tried adding the contact manually to your Google Contacts list on the Contacts website, and then syncing your contacts from your phone? That might be a workaround.

ranl911

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I just tried this again with a new contact and now I can confirm this does happen under certain circumstances with 911 in the number and/or contact name.

Have you tried adding the contact manually to your Google Contacts list on the Contacts website, and then syncing your contacts from your phone? That might be a workaround.

Thanks for re-checking.
Yes I can add the contact via google contacts (on a PC) or email myself a .vcf and import it and the phone will take the contacts. These are just workarounds and other phones (HTC/Droid/Other Galaxy S phones) don't seem to have this limitation.
Waiting on 2.2 to see if it will correct this issue....

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I know it seems silly, but they probably consider this a feature. It's so you won't accidentally dial 911. You ever hear warnings about not adding 911 to your contacts? Well I guess they just decided to prevent the numbers 9-1-1 from being used together outright.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can see this being a "feature" as well, but it really should be programed to just not accept "911" or numbers that START with "911" (as those are not valid phone numbers anyway).

ranl911

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I can see this being a "feature" as well, but it really should be programed to just not accept "911" or numbers that START with "911" (as those are not valid phone numbers anyway).

...IMHO...it's not a "feature" but a limitation :-(
ChrisK. is right, there is a difference in putting 911 in as a phone number, versus a contact with a company name or email address that has 911 as part of the address.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
...IMHO...it's not a "feature" but a limitation :-(
ChrisK. is right, there is a difference in putting 911 in as a phone number, versus a contact with a company name or email address that has 911 as part of the address.

Oh don't get me wrong, I definitely think it's a limitation, which is why I put feature in quotations haha.

It's a rather stupid limitation as well. The North American Numbering Plan prohibits any number combination that would allow for any number to start with 9-1-1 as the first three digits. Area codes can't be 911, and 7-digit numbers also can't start with 911.

ranl911

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh No! I didn't think that you were wrong, that's why I quoted "feature" also!!!
In any case for grins and giggles I tried adding 112 (Emergency number overseas -England/Europe) and 066 (Mexico) in email addresses - and the phone took those contacts. Go figure...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol