02-07-2011 06:18 PM
645 1234 ...
tools
    Chris,

I believe this was a choice of samsung, since it was trying to keep the Galaxy S Moniker. Branding it a droid would have detracted from the fact that it was part of the Galaxy S series of phones.
    Ah, yeah that does make sense then. I do believe the Samsung Continuum and the Fascinate are the only Android devices on Verizon not branded Droid [Insert here]. Unless my memory is failing me
    12-01-2010 05:07 PM
    Ah, yeah that does make sense then. I do believe the Samsung Continuum and the Fascinate are the only Android devices on Verizon not branded Droid [Insert here]. Unless my memory is failing me
    I think you are correct, so Samsung most likely opted out of the droid series.
    12-01-2010 05:14 PM
    Don't they ahve an LG phone without the droid branding? I agree with Samsung being the reason though, they want to keep all the phones simliarly branded. Still, they could ahve called it the Galaxy S Droid or something, no different than Fascinate or Vibrant etc..

edit- Yeah, the Ally. Plus the Motorola Devour *shudder*.
    12-01-2010 05:15 PM
    I think we'll see it before Christmas. The leaked update is 95% fine, and GPS is 100% perfect. They have zero excuses to not release it - especially with the existing release having a pretty much worthless GPS. If nothing else they should roll out whatever they did to fix the GPS immediately.
    my experience was the storm I. it was so awful they pulled it off the shelves within months of its launch. i honestly (and this is in no way an exaggeration) went thru 9 devices in 11 months. all "warranty" returns. and no matter what, and how hard i begged for even a fraction of honesty, they all sang the same refrain, "well you must have just gotten a bad phone".

not a single update, no customer service, nothing. i am pretty sure, that when it comes to verizon, the phone you buy, is the one you get. if it didn't come with froyo, we probably won't get froyo.

but i could be wrong. but i fail to see what motivation verizon has for giving us an update? we are already locked in contract and we already have the phone. customer service is a thing of the past.
    12-01-2010 05:15 PM
    Don't they ahve an LG phone without the droid branding? I agree with Samsung being the reason though, they want to keep all the phones simliarly branded. Still, they could ahve called it the Galaxy S Droid or something, no different than Fascinate or Vibrant etc..

edit- Yeah, the Ally. Plus the Motorola Devour *shudder*.
    Can we even count the Devour as a phone? More like a paperweight
    12-01-2010 05:21 PM
    my experience was the storm I. it was so awful they pulled it off the shelves within months of its launch. i honestly (and this is in no way an exaggeration) went thru 9 devices in 11 months. all "warranty" returns. and no matter what, and how hard i begged for even a fraction of honesty, they all sang the same refrain, "well you must have just gotten a bad phone".

not a single update, no customer service, nothing. i am pretty sure, that when it comes to verizon, the phone you buy, is the one you get. if it didn't come with froyo, we probably won't get froyo.

but i could be wrong. but i fail to see what motivation verizon has for giving us an update? we are already locked in contract and we already have the phone. customer service is a thing of the past.
    this is exactly what I was thinking... what motivation would they have to get us an update? we already paid for the phone and we are locked into contract.
    The only thing that would happen is for me to remember this on future phone purchases and go to another carrier or phone brand, unfortunately...
    12-01-2010 05:24 PM
    So true!
    12-01-2010 05:25 PM

Hopefully you guys get Froyo soon. I do like the flash support for viewing youtube content (like, say, Android Central reviews) in the page. It's also neat to head over to southparkstudios.com to watch some episodes.

I had a Storm 1 also. I went through 7 of them in about 15 months. To be honest, it did get updated from 4.6 to 4.7 to 5.0 when I had it. Verizon also was pretty good with me Droid Incredible 2.2 update. The sad thing is the Galaxy S phones are pretty sweet, but Verizon went and Binged it, and is slow with the updates (well, some combination of Verizon & Samsung). The end result is that I will probably think twice about getting a Samsung device, and I'll be in the market again around March. If I were Samsung I would be pissed about this bad press. Maybe they just care about the Galaxy Tab right now.
    12-01-2010 05:27 PM
    We have to keep in mind that all of this is a combination of several factors. Do I believe that to an EXTENT, Verizon has the attitude that they have you locked into a two year contract so who cares? Yeah, it's possible.

BUT, devices HAVE been updated in the past and they will continue to be updated. Again, I understand everyone's frustration with a lot of things revolving around the issue of FroYo, GPS and etc. It's not ALL Verizon's fault, just like it's not ALL Samsung's fault either. Do I condone either of them? No, but it's easy to toss blame all around when in fact it's a lot factors in play here. Just keep that in mind.
    12-01-2010 05:30 PM
    We have to keep in mind that all of this is a combination of several factors. Do I believe that to an EXTENT, Verizon has the attitude that they have you locked into a two year contract so who cares? Yeah, it's possible.

BUT, devices HAVE been updated in the past and they will continue to be updated. Again, I understand everyone's frustration with a lot of things revolving around the issue of FroYo, GPS and etc. It's not ALL Verizon's fault, just like it's not ALL Samsung's fault either. Do I condone either of them? No, but it's easy to toss blame all around when in fact it's a lot factors in play here. Just keep that in mind.
    that is true, I won't fully blame vzw until the other galaxy s phones get froyo officially and leave the fascinate out in the cold. altho they do have leaks out for them and yet we don't...
    12-01-2010 05:37 PM
    And you know what i have 2.2 on my Droid X , its not like its a life changing update. Ill tell you what, i enjoy using my Fascinate much more than my X.
    12-01-2010 05:39 PM
    Okay, a noob question:
    Since I'm rooted and not on stock rom, how do I get updated without going back to stock?

Sent from Verizon Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk
    12-01-2010 06:37 PM
    Wait for a ROM that has been built on the update
    12-01-2010 07:23 PM
    two months ago in a fury of frustration when we could no longer tolerate the storms, my wife and i finally got verizon to let us both early upgrade. so we still sunk two hundy into those crapberry piles for barely a year of what i will loosely call "use".

it just so happened that verizon had a two for one deal on the fascinates. and they looked bad ***. i was really impressed.

now my phone is of course rooted, debinged, running voodoo5 and that .. ehem... "update" (we are not supposed to mention). my phone rocks. gps locks fast, phone is fast, not buggy, and smooth as butter. in fact i can even impress my iphone fanboy friends.

my wife's fascinate on the other hand is bone stock. and it is a buggy mother. she stormed into the room the other day and shoved it in my hand and basically told me to "do all that crap you did to your phone". which i haven't done, because first i plan on taking hers back to verizon (every time she has gone in to complain, they tell her stupid crap like "she needs to run app killer pro").

so i ask, do you think that there is any level of competence behind the desks at verizon?

sure there is. thank god for forums like this and for irc, otherwise we would have a bunch of shiny black paperweights.

froyo will come when aftermarket developers build it. and i don't mind paying them. a lot.

from what seems to be floating around the blogosphere, verizon is putting all their eggs in the lte basket. again, why should they care about we who have purchased their phones? because i am stuck on their network because its the only one with reliable service in my town.

sorry about the rant. but these froyo threads keep popping up, and i got tired of waiting for the a-holes at verizon to release the 2.2 update we all know they have. i know because i managed to download the source code that samsung posted on their website a month ago. too bad i have no idea what to do with it. and in fact i may have deleted it.
    12-01-2010 08:12 PM
    I've given up. Held my breathe and collapsed waiting on froyo. Smh.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    12-01-2010 11:50 PM
    For what it's worth I've been through 4 Froyo releases and it's really much ado about nothing, unless you really need Apps to SD. The DJ05 update is what we really need.
    12-02-2010 01:04 AM
    true. dj05 makes me feel like i have a new phone. again.
    12-02-2010 01:45 AM
    Anyone knows when the DJ05 update is coming through? I don't want to take my chances with the leak as I am very much a novice.

Sent from Verizon Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk
    JT Super Clean v4, nonvoodoo 11/16
    12-02-2010 05:00 AM
    My phone's been fine and everything, had it since release day and rooted easily and all of that. But if I had known that it would be behind in technology and would take this long just to get a maintenance update, let alone another software update... I would've gotten a different phone. I don't know. I'm pretty aggravated.

I sound like a major noob, which is embarrassing because I'm not, but what does DJ05 stand for?
    12-02-2010 06:33 AM
    DJ05 is the next maintenance update. Should be released OTA soon, supposedly
    packerbacker likes this.
    12-02-2010 07:15 AM
    For what it's worth I've been through 4 Froyo releases and it's really much ado about nothing, unless you really need Apps to SD. The DJ05 update is what we really need.
    Agreed. FroYo will obviously be nice, but DI05 is what should be the biggest improvement for the average user.
    12-02-2010 09:23 AM
    Even though the phone is crap, I'll give them credit for that aluminum body, just wish they'd done it with a decent phone.
    12-02-2010 09:24 AM
    With regards to Froyo though, what I really want is flash support. Skyfire is fine and all, but sometimes it randomly loses connection for me, which requires starting the video all over again. Plus you can't seem to fast forward or rewind anything, I usually check youtube before resorting to watching something through Skyfire.
    12-02-2010 09:31 AM
    The DJ05 update is what we really need.
    Agreed. If that was the phone we got out of the box, I would not be itching so much for updates. When FroYo comes, whenever it may be, sure I'll be happy. Full flash is about the only thing I'm missing. Everyone is going nuts about app2sd but I'll never use it. I have way too much media on my card to sacrifice space for apps, especially when I'm only using 11% of my internal storage for them now. But having everything work the way it should is much more essential to me. I'd prefer fixes over features any day, especially ones that should have been addressed pre-release.
    12-02-2010 09:42 AM
    my experience was the storm I. it was so awful they pulled it off the shelves within months of its launch.
    The Storm 1 didn't get EOL until February of this year, a few months after the Storm 2 (9550) was released. The phone sold well, but was a disaster when it came to RIM and Verizon's reputation.

Don't forget the Fascinate is CDMA. That's part of the reason it always takes so damn long to get decent phones/upgrades. Companies want to hit the largest user base first, and that just happens to be GSM carriers.
    12-02-2010 12:42 PM
645 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD